Jan 27 2013
By: VillNess Splicer 57 posts

Supers...

10 replies 185 views Edited Jan 27, 2013
How did they choose which supers each character get? There's certain type of 'em, for example S3: Lame screen wipe, character gets some upgrade and can run&kill, shooting (ratchets spaceship, radecs... flying thing) With screen wipe u get max 3 kills, with 2 other (not everybody's, like sly's) you can easily get more than 3. I'm wondering why for example Kratos has that S3 which lasts quite long and has automatic homing attack (easy to dodge but it lasts quite a while and even one mistake and he gets kill) and he gains ap fairly quick. It just seems weird that some characters can never get more than 3 kills with 1 super and some get more, maybe even twice more?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 1 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: Supers...

Jan 27, 2013

It's all a matter of character ability I guess. It's natural that Radec can get like fifty billion kills with his because he can utterly rip you apart with his bullet storm, but Spike's best weapon is that satellite laser. It'd be stupid for him to get more than three max since he only gets one shot. Kratos get super huge, sure, but he's restricted to himself, so of course he needs ranged abilites to maximize efficiency. I don't understand Sly's special at all, but I guess that's apart of one of his games, and so on and so forth for everyone else. 

Message 2 of 11 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Jan 27, 2013
I get your point. About Spike, though, his S3 could of been catching monkeys (everyone turns into monkeys, like mummy with Drake). So I think it has to do something about variety... Maybe reduce time of effect of some S3's? Ah well, that ain't happening and I'll just get used to this.

Message 3 of 11 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2456 posts

Jan 27, 2013
It's Superbot's way of "balance" lol.
Message 4 of 11 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Jan 27, 2013

VillNess wrote:
I get your point. About Spike, though, his S3 could of been catching monkeys (everyone turns into monkeys, like mummy with Drake). So I think it has to do something about variety... Maybe reduce time of effect of some S3's? Ah well, that ain't happening and I'll just get used to this.

I guess that make sense if something in Ape Escape actually turned people into monkies. I've never owned the game, so I wouldn't know if that happens or not, but that sarcophagus in Nate's level three really does turn people into zombies, plus, he's human and has no super amazing weapons like Spike, and has no outstanding abilities, so they had to give him something effective, and that makes a lot of sense. The only thing not accurate about that special is that it took more than one shot to take them out. Those zombies were powerful. Only a shotgun actually eradicates them with a single shot, and even then, that was dangerous because one hit from them would seriously injure you. 

Message 5 of 11 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1268 posts

Jan 27, 2013

@GnomeWizard

Hey I rather deal with superbots way of balance than to deal with Sakurai"s way of balance.

Message 6 of 11 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Jan 27, 2013

The screen clearing supers GUARANTEE one kill on each player. Other supers require you to target the other players, which can be dodged and evaded, and you can get anywhere from 0 to 4, or maybe 5 kills.

Message 7 of 11 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Jan 27, 2013

I'm bored so I made a list...

wipe screen 4 

spike

parappa

heihachi 

toro

shooting 4 

ratchet

sly

cole 

radec 

upgrade 11

big daddy

dante

evil cole

jak 

kratos 

nariko

sackboy

sweet tooth

nathan drake

raiden

sir daniel 

fat princess? unique?

Message 8 of 11 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Jan 27, 2013

For your list, I think "upgrade" can be divided into Godmode and Vulnerable Opponents (i.e. Raiden's basically just helplessly puts his opponents in boxes while a super like ST or Kratos still has their opponents able to dodge)

—--------
"The Dirty Casual"
Message 9 of 11 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
632 posts

Jan 27, 2013

I think it was SuperBot's idea of variety (as someone above mentioned) and individuality. If every Level 3 Super was a screen-clearer, well that wouldn't be very exciting, now would it? But as a result, some Supers are superior than others which is the difference in balance.

But at the end of the day, every Super has its advantages and disadvantages.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 11 (76 Views)
0 Likes