Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 25 2013
By: IceColdKilla44 Gaming Beast 1773 posts

SuperBot, whatever happened to this?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 440 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

Back at EVO, SuperBot said (if you skip to about 5:00) that they would be able to make balance changes for characters "on the fly, without the need to patch." With a system like that, this should mean that character balance updates can happen more frequently.

But so far...I don't think we've seen this happen yet, and SuperBot has already released a few patches for this game even though they said this wasn't necessary. SuperBot, could you clarify this please?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (440 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Re: SuperBot, whatever happened to this?

Jan 25, 2013
They don't need to respond! I can answer!

Not in arrogance but with some facts. I have a feeling they have the power to pop out itty bitty patches here and there to tweak characters whenever they feel like.

More then likely however, they aren't messing with some of these characters because they want to watch and take more time to make an informed decision that won't ruin the game in ALL modes. (FFA, 2v2 AND 1v1!)

Besides, they may seem like they have problems now, but maybe SuperBot is waiting for people to develop the meta game a bit more before messing with things. Some of these characters people think are OP might not be, they just haven't found their way around them yet.

Did I make sense? o.o
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (419 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5338 posts

Jan 25, 2013
^Agreed!
My Scaler (Obscure/Unique) Moveset!: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Scaler-Obscure-Unique-Moveset-Give-Feedback/m-p/41328063 Gimme Feedback on it?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (411 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
535 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I too want to know what happened. Your answer above does not explain anything It doesn't explain why we have to download an almost 300MB patch for instance.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I can try to help with that as well, though it gets fuzzier here.

We keep trying to rush patches out of SuperBot, and what good has it done us? They don't get to test the patches properly, and look what happens: a patch that fixes some things, but adds other things.

We need to give SuperBot PROPER time so thaey can release the ultimate patch to fix up the game.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (380 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jan 25, 2013

^ Aylas, you have to stop giving Superbot so much credit. First of all I love the game and it's hard for me to stop playing once I've started. Now, Superbot is quite a large team along with the Santa Monica studio backing them up. They have had more than enough time to make this patch, test it and release it. Frankly, the amount of time they are taking for each patch is ridiculous considering the amount of things changed. In the time since the last patch (which IIRC was early December) they have added a button to the main menu, an effect on the costume change circle and some minor tweaks to certain characters' attacks. This patch also brought problems with it like 1.02 such as sound cutting out on stages (Vita).

I, and many others, expected proper balancing from the patch but it is still absurdly easy to gain level 3's with the characters who were 'patched'. Also, the combined patch sizes so far, including the broken patch 1.02, have been in excess of 500mb+. Now, I'm no designer or programmer but I feel that Superbot needs to get their act together. This is a competitive game that relies on multiplayer as its selling point (aside from the characters). A game cannot be competitive and tournament-oriented when they are still characters that are grossly over-powered and nearly broken.

I'm still gonna play the game and enjoy it but there are so many niggling quirks and annoyances throughout the game even after three months that just stop me from fully enjoying the gameplay.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (312 Views)
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I'm not saying SuperBot is perfect by any means Sonic. But I think we need to cut a LITTLE slack for some things. We gotta remember this game can be played cross console of systems from different regions. That can't be easy.

But yes, I do think the patches should be done a bit faster, and maybe possibly hire a better team to beta test these patches on top of it.

Some characters gaining a lot of AP will not change: if we nerf every character it just makes another one too strong. People need to learn to fight Kratos, or understand that FFA IS NOT the place to be competitive, 2v2 or 1v1 is. FFA is a big part of this game true, but many characters you hear complains about CAN be beaten. I'm not one of those people to act all high and might, but people gotta use that L1 more and find strategies to win.

The top 100 characters in FFA are not all Kratos you know. THey figured something out, and other people need to as well in stead of just complaining.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
847 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Wanna know why 300mb on such simple changes? They already have kat and emmet on it, they are just waitting for the jp release. Mark my words.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1773 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I appreciate the input Aylas, but it didn't really answer my question.

I just want to know why patches suddenly became necessary again for balancing characters. This isn't the first time I've heard a developer talking about balancing a game without patching (see Uncharted 2), and I'm just curious why we never seem to see it happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (193 Views)
0 Likes