Dec 13 2012
By: Tekn0tize Gaming Beast 2105 posts

Story mode for the sequel

[ Edited ]
12 replies 263 views Edited Dec 13, 2012

A story mode with chapters and loads of cinematics and you play chapter by chapter.

Characters develop/break relationships as the story goes along. Instead of having one character one rival, it is an integrated story.

Like, somehow they are in this new weird/parallel dimension or even planet, each character come there in a different way, (like Sub-Zero gets thrown into a portal, Ratchet gets sucked into a wormhole while he is flying on his space ship and crash lands into the new dimension and so on.)

Each character then explores this new world (in cinematic scenes), they discover other characters in interesting ways, they form friends and enemies (and fight them even tag-team fights). As fights progress you will see other characters cheering (or booing) from the backgrounds or inbetween fight cinematics they can taunt/trash talk you. Meanwhile news reporters around the galaxy have sniffed the news and some of the reporters start reporting the result of this intergalatic battle and dynamically changes the reporting based on how badly/well you did in a fight.

Finally you can choose each character to overcome a greater evil (boss) that caused their predicament/situation.

The story mode should allow you to replay any completed chapter how many ever times you want with optionally skippablable cinematics.

This is roughly based on MK9, what do you guys think?? Smiley Happy

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 1 of 13 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4974 posts

Re: How the story mode should have been made

Dec 13, 2012
Honestly...I probably would have just watched the cinematics on YouTube. I can't recall ever having purchased a competitive fighter for the story. I wanna get online and fight!

Message 2 of 13 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

It is not the story as such, but just the experience of playing it. The actual story in most fighting games is nothing great if you just tell it in words.

What makes it interesting is this meeting of characters and how it all is presented.

Also, remember if you don't want to play the story mode, you don't have to... there exists an online mode too. But what about the many that do want it?

Let's face it, how many would buy the game if there was no arcade or story mode AT ALL ? Imagine the kind of reviews it would get if it had absolutely no story mode at all.

------
Message 3 of 13 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1329 posts

Dec 13, 2012
Problem with the first edition of the game. There's so few villains in the game. As with Brawls story mode a lot of villains went around and caused trouble.
In this instance it would be good guys all the way, apart from a few, who could just be going through a rage. Kratos or Sweettooth?

I would definitely have waited with an expansive story mode no matter what in their first try. They didn't even know if the game was any good with the fans and the public. So getting the engine down(besides online issues and balance to take care of) was the right thing to do on their first attempt.

They will HAVE to make something spectacular for the story mode next time. People were VERY disappointed with the story, since there weren't any. A small comic intro and outro and then what we all had hoped for more on, the rival cinematics.
And not just "a group of people are gathering". Give them a reason to come. Make some evil take something from each homeworld and FORCE the characters to come looking.
Villains could just be recruited by this "evil" or maybe just join up, since they've been beaten in all of their appearances in any game Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 13 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Re: Story mode for the sequel

Dec 13, 2012
I'd have preferred a grounded arcade mode instead of one for each character i.e. you start in Kratos' perspective with cutscenes from his point of view, then shift to another character etc etc until they all come together in some sort of way to a final battle with the boss in which you finally get to pick the character to use. Completing every arcade mode takes 8-10 hours, so I don't see why they couldn't simply spend that time establishing a real story.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 5 of 13 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Dec 13, 2012
I imagine the inevitable sequel will tend to this issue.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 6 of 13 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Dec 13, 2012

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
I'd have preferred a grounded arcade mode instead of one for each character i.e. you start in Kratos' perspective with cutscenes from his point of view, then shift to another character etc etc until they all come together in some sort of way to a final battle with the boss in which you finally get to pick the character to use. Completing every arcade mode takes 8-10 hours, so I don't see why they couldn't simply spend that time establishing a real story.

That is exactly what I suggested in my first post. Arcade mode with each character is so boring and becomes tedious especially when the actual cutscenes/story is so little.

------
Message 7 of 13 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
747 posts

Dec 13, 2012
Well, I'm currently writing a fanfic on my Fanfiction dot net account that's Nathan Drake's PSASBR story if it was done Subspace Emissary style.

Here's the link: http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8330137/1/Uncharted-Battle-Royale .
Message 8 of 13 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
747 posts

Dec 13, 2012
So far, (spoilers) Drake is teaming with Sackboy, who's had his friends kidnapped by the main villain, while Drake also runs into Sir Dan, and in my new chapter, both Kat and New Dante. When I started it though, I was including story scenes from Uncharted 2.
Message 9 of 13 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Dec 13, 2012
I would love an mk9ish story which would basically be very short arcade modes for each character as in mk they do around 3 matches and then switch characcters
#ProtectorProgramme
Message 10 of 13 (156 Views)
0 Likes