Reply
Jan 30 2013
By: ThatDamnNarwhal Gaming Beast 1969 posts
Online

Story Mode

[ Edited ]
15 replies 316 views Edited Jan 30, 2013

The story mode wasn't that bad, but If I could I would have taken it in a different direction. 

If I could, I’d try to connect all of their stories together as one. Although this would make it harder to add DLC characters considering that I’d either have to make a whole new story for the new characters or fill in some of the original story’s holes with DLC characters. There are a few holes in the current storyline as well. Where did Polygon man come from? (Yes I know he’s Playstation’s original mascot but where in the storyline does he come in)  Why is he doing this? How are they getting from world to world? Why are certain characters in certain stages? Why are the worlds colliding? (stage mashups) How do the rivals just coincidentally meet up in the final stage at the end? What's going on here? The plotline seems to be all over the place sometimes and in my opinion the end didn’t really feel like an epic boss battle at all.

I’d also prefer if the cutscenes were either all CG, but if not then I’d at least try to animate 2D cutscenes like Infamous did.  

 

*This thread was no made to bash against Superbot, I clearly have no video game design experience.*

 

If you could change something about story mode, what would you do?

 

 

 

Message 1 of 16 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
1823 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Jan 31, 2013

The budget allowing, I'd have thrown in more cut-scenes depicting character-interaction.

 

MvC3 and other traditional fighters have an advantage by their nature as a two-player, since they can be given special quotes for any other member of the roster they happen to be versing. Having 4 pre-programmed intros is nice, but it can get annoying when vague, generic dialogue like  "Prepare to die" and "Alright, you guys asked for it"  is the primary interaction.

 

Maybe 1v1 matches could be given a separate intro?

______________________________________________________________________________


I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:


Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg


Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.


Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 2 of 16 (277 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 10/26/2010
Offline
281 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 1, 2013

ThatDamnNarwhal wrote:

The story mode wasn't that bad, but If I could I would have taken it in a different direction. 

If I could, I’d try to connect all of their stories together as one. Although this would make it harder to add DLC characters considering that I’d either have to make a whole new story for the new characters or fill in some of the original story’s holes with DLC characters. There are a few holes in the current storyline as well. Where did Polygon man come from? (Yes I know he’s Playstation’s original mascot but where in the storyline does he come in)  Why is he doing this? How are they getting from world to world? Why are certain characters in certain stages? Why are the worlds colliding? (stage mashups) How do the rivals just coincidentally meet up in the final stage at the end? What's going on here? The plotline seems to be all over the place sometimes and in my opinion the end didn’t really feel like an epic boss battle at all.

I’d also prefer if the cutscenes were either all CG, but if not then I’d at least try to animate 2D cutscenes like Infamous did.  

 

*This thread was no made to bash against Superbot, I clearly have no video game design experience.*

 

If you could change something about story mode, what would you do?

 

 


 Story was a real tearjerker.

Message 3 of 16 (234 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/07/2012
Online
1969 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 1, 2013

Honestly, in some point today I tried my hardest to figure out the story-line... I tried but I just couldn't understand what's going on. There are so many holes in the story. 

There were so many other ways to go.

Message 4 of 16 (216 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 12/29/2012
Offline
505 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 8, 2013

PS All-Stars doesnt have a story mode they just have an arcade mode. They sould have a story and an arcade mode just like super smash bros brawl. The arcade is fine but the game lacks a story mode.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 16 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/17/2012
Offline
810 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 8, 2013
I only played through one story and was bored out of my mind. Smiley Sad
People don't generally play fighting games for the story so the fact that is sorely lacking in content should not be much of a surprise.
Overall, it felt like more of a tutorial/introduction than anything else.
Message 6 of 16 (164 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/17/2012
Offline
810 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 8, 2013

chayandiaz wrote:

PS All-Stars doesnt have a story mode they just have an arcade mode. They sould have a story and an arcade mode just like super smash bros brawl. The arcade is fine but the game lacks a story mode.


Eh? Don't you mean like Blazblue or Guilty Gear? 

Those are some serious stories. 

Message 7 of 16 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 12/13/2012
Online
9866 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 8, 2013
I've said this quite a few times now.

This game just serves as an excuse for these characters to meet up and fight. There's really no way to have a full fleshed story mode without retconning someone's canon.

The Polygon Man thing is a mystery though. It's clear he was the one who made their universes collide, but it's never explained why. Or how the characters are able to traverse through universes.

The rivalry thing is kind of alright. How they are the last 2 people to meet up before Polygon Man. But the way it was done could've been better. The match-ups could've been better, there should've been some kind of build up as well.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 8 of 16 (147 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
1823 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

Can someone explain MK9's branching story concept to me? What's so great about it? (being serious, I haven't played it)

______________________________________________________________________________


I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:


Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg


Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.


Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 9 of 16 (129 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
1823 posts
 

Re: Story Mode

Feb 8, 2013

nasrulez wrote:
This game just serves as an excuse for these characters to meet up and fight. There's really no way to have a full fleshed story mode without retconning someone's canon.

It's possible to do a good story with the concept. The respective continuity of the cast should be a non-issue with crafting such a story. Marvel comics has their "What-If" line specifically catering to an unlikely scenario (would Kratos really leave to compete in a tournament in the middle of his climb to Olympus?)

______________________________________________________________________________


I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:


Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg


Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.


Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 10 of 16 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes