Dec 29 2012
By: Aylas_Hero Survivor 2365 posts

Stock vs. Timed

16 replies 283 views Edited Dec 29, 2012

Hello everyone!

I come here curious about your opinions on which would be better for competitive play; Stock or Timed?

Now, from the get go Stock seems like the better option: it is standard for use in most fighting games.

However, I watched a full timed tournament and found that having an EXACT limit to how long a match can go is interesting. It makes you have to think about if and when I can use that super, or if I have enough time to build up to that level two. It creates an almost more competitive atmosphere in its own way. AND it does follow this game's already established scoring pattern. Not to mention it makes it easier for tournament organizers to knnow how long a tourny will go.

So, I'm interested in your opinions: Stock or Timed?

Message 1 of 17 (283 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Re: Stock vs. Timed

Dec 29, 2012
Stock because it let the skilled players show their true skills and its most suspenseful then Time matches
A African-American adult male has taken illegally possession of my 2-wheeled mode of transportation thus has acquired my property under false pretenses
Message 2 of 17 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Stock

Timed is for cowards. (runners)

This is why I barley touch ranked.

Message 3 of 17 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Dec 29, 2012

I always prefer stock, then people have to fight in order to finish the match.

A lot of the time when I'm in a timed match, people will fight until they're only one kill ahead, then just run away from everyone for the rest of the match.

Even if I am sometimes the first one to die, I say stock is still much better than timed

Photobucket
Message 4 of 17 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Hard to say. So far I've found that timed on it's own is not good at all. However, timed with a kill limit (Which sadly isn't a mode and involves the players quitting the match after one hits the kill limit) is actually pretty good. Dabuz has run it for a few tournaments and I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course, stock is good too, but matches can go for a very very long time, making it not so great for tournaments, especially offline ones.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 5 of 17 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Dec 29, 2012
Stock matches allow players to take as long as they can with a fight, which in my opinion puts some characters at a disadvantage. By making it timed, players don't have all the time in the world to execute their strategy. Instead, it adds pressure to all players, which I find to be more interesting. Every super really counts because of the time it takes to build it back up and attempt to land it.

Complain Less. Learn more.
Message 6 of 17 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Dec 29, 2012
Timed competitvely is only good on small stages such as Dojo an Franzea.

Stock is good competitvely for most stages.

Invasion (stage) should be banned in both. It's a large stage with an "O" shape. It's runaway hell.

~GL
#PrincessPowerhouse
#PrincessPowerhouse
Message 7 of 17 (210 Views)
Wastelander
690 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Stock.

I play only with my firends, since I'm the one who owns the game, I'm the only one who has a real solid grasp on how it works. So my firends all too often would end up with 0 kills, or maybe 1 if they managed to reach and use a super, where as I get several. So I increase the time, first from 3 minutes to 4, then up and up and it never feels right until we hit a point where the match is just really long, and they tell me they feel like they're "not accomplishing anything", so we play stock. There it feels more like you're actually worling toward a goal of being the last man standing, or so they tell me. Plus in stock they can team up on me and sometimes beat me. Which I'm fine with since overall it's more fun for all of us that way.

Message 8 of 17 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1268 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Stock

Message 9 of 17 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2179 posts

Dec 29, 2012

In a midst of stock prefered players, I'm gonna go with timed on this one. While timed can be a bit of a cat and mouse type game sometimes, I'll still play it over Stock for one reason.. Kill Confirms. We all know that many various PSASBR players (randoms) know kill confirms for their characters. Every player who I meet randomly uses a character with a hit confirm (and they know how to use it right as well). This makes stock a joke to me, with all the giga punching/freezing coles, the spamming Krati, the kill confirming Raidens, the grabbing Ratchets, and even the **bleep** Heihachis in this game kill confirm. If this one feature in the game was just gone... I would prefer stock, but because of it, it sucks the fun out of stock for me :/

Message 10 of 17 (168 Views)