Jan 15 2013
By: aferretsfury Monster Hunter 42 posts

Spike discussion thread

18 replies 220 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

So yeah after fully leveling up drake A while ago, Who has been my main since launch, i wanted to master a harder charcter and i was getting bored of seeing other drakes so i picked spike, as i have never seen a good spike. But he never seemed cheap.

his ap gain is great, can usually get to atleast L1 before anyone else, but i feel he is extremely hard done too when it comes to getting kills,

his L1 is easily dodged he has no combos into it (i personally dont like combos into supers but if the vast amount of characters do then all of them should)  the only time i get that is either catching them off guard on characters that have long combos or if they are just not good.

unfortunately his L2 doesnt improve on things its slow by far the easiest 2nd super to read and dodge i use to think it had a combo into it with down triangle but people have managed to avoid it consistently now so i am starting to wonder...i also use to think if someone was right behind or infront then they get killed but this turns out to be balls aswell?

and his L3 is another one of those dire confirmed 3 kills, i class these as by far the worst especially 2v2 and they become useless in 1v1s

so now is the time when i ask people out there who play as spike how they do it? Persoanlly i dont think there even is a good spike player out there.

why does he have so poor Supers? I think superbot must have hated ape escape

Message 1 of 19 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
847 posts

Re: Spike discussion thread

Jan 15, 2013
The lv2 Issue u can partially fix on 2x2 by havin' a combo-maker/heavy partner. I personally like his sword spin in the air. Cant say more than this, heisnt my main.
Message 2 of 19 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

lol spike has a lot of level 1 set-ups, just vs a hard spike comp and you'll learn them (ill give you 2 off the top of my head- Jump then shoot the ball of electric at them when they are on the ground, then run up and net them. Another one, you can use the racecar to stun then, then BAM!)

also idk what you are talking about, spikes level 1 is amaising (its atleast 5X better than sackboys)

16 Characters that should really be in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Hero-Patapon3, Blob-LocoRoco, Abe-Abe's Oddessy, Ari+Stan-Okage, Raziel-Soul Reaver, The King of All Cosmos-Katamari, Alex Mercer-Prototype, Isaac Clarke-Dead Space, Cloud-Final Fantasy VII, Spyro-Spyro, Crash-Crash Bandicoot, Tiki Guy-PixelJunk Monsters, Amaterasu-Ōkami, Mega Man-Mega Man X8, Ratonhnhaké:ton-Assassin's Creed III, Kevin Butler+Marcus PSP

^^^THIS LINK BELOW EXPLAINS WHY THEY SHOULD BE ADDED IN. vvv
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/15-MORE-THAN-DESERVING-NEW-CHARACTER-IDEAS-feedback-is/m-p/39129075#U39129075
Message 3 of 19 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jan 15, 2013
The electrocute does not work they get out of it before the net hits them no matter how quickly you manage to execute the super. The sword trip doesnt work neither does the rc laser or boomerang on return ... You obviously dont play as spike because i have not managed them or see anyone else manage it including the computer and i have been playing as spike for some time now. =\
Message 4 of 19 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

I don't play as Spike that much, but my brother does, and Ive seen him execute those setups a countless number of times, you have to do them pretty quickly though (and as for the electric one, you need to be close to the ground when you use it, otherwise they get away). And if you can't do those ones, you should try the air-banana one (when you are close to the ground, use the air bananas (the monkey has to be touching them), and then net them (that one is pretty easy to do))

16 Characters that should really be in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Hero-Patapon3, Blob-LocoRoco, Abe-Abe's Oddessy, Ari+Stan-Okage, Raziel-Soul Reaver, The King of All Cosmos-Katamari, Alex Mercer-Prototype, Isaac Clarke-Dead Space, Cloud-Final Fantasy VII, Spyro-Spyro, Crash-Crash Bandicoot, Tiki Guy-PixelJunk Monsters, Amaterasu-Ōkami, Mega Man-Mega Man X8, Ratonhnhaké:ton-Assassin's Creed III, Kevin Butler+Marcus PSP

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/15-MORE-THAN-DESERVING-NEW-CHARACTER-IDEAS-feedback-is/m-p/39129075#U39129075
Message 5 of 19 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

You use down triangle from the descent of a short hop. Not from the peak. Meaning, use his down triangle near the ground after a short hop. You'll be able to net a Lvl 1 or 2 that way. You can also wall rebound opponents ussing a wall using up grounded square and combo it with Lvl 2.

Message 6 of 19 (195 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Jan 15, 2013
lol heres some help if you still dont understand (this guy made a list of all the set-ups)
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Kill-Combos/m-p/38905371#U389053...

Message 7 of 19 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Jan 15, 2013
I main Spike (currently level 813) and I'm not into kill confirms. They're kind of cheap so I don't use them. The only way I know to execute his L1 is to wait until the other character is hit by somebody else above you, then catch them while they're in the air. Of course, you could go behind somebody who is attacking somebody else and catch 'em. Many people don't consider Spike a threat so it's extremely rewarding to walk up to the other three while they're fighting and catch them all at once. <3

Spike's L2 is too predictable. If they removed the small cutscene before he used it, it'd be much more effective. Plus, you need to be extremely close to your enemy to use it because they can see it coming a mile away because it's so slow. Perhaps make it the speed of Cole's LVL2?

I really do wish that Spike's L3 wasn't screen-clearing. His other supers can be quite difficult to utilize. Maybe he could have called in one of the Freaky Monkey Five or Specter to fight with him like Heihachi and the bear?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Message 8 of 19 (169 Views)
Wastelander
847 posts

Jan 15, 2013
1 kudo cuz u dont kill confirm, and my respect
Message 9 of 19 (165 Views)
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Jan 15, 2013
A good set up for his L1 and 2 is down, but you have to be really quick as it gives you barely any time to hit the supers

Hardcore

Message 10 of 19 (156 Views)
0 Likes