Jan 16 2013
By: Breakdown96 Monster Hunter 27 posts
Accepted Solution

Spike Discussion & Help

7 replies 232 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

(Hey guys, first post ever on the forums!)

Not trying to make another Spike thread unless there's already another official one. But, when I first got the game I was hopping around to figure who to main. For a while I loved playing as Jak and was pretty good. Then I tried Spike's arcade mode and I loved how he played. Now I'm about a 450 rank and I've been going around ranked. I'm still a 70-90 blue belt because of several Kratoses...Kratosi...and the fact that losing in ranked messes you over. So, I wanted to talk with others who play Spike.

Using him I'm pretty strong with his beam club combos and planning when and what to use on the monkey radar. Since Spike's are usually known for club dashing everywhere, I try to avoid that. Only problem I have is his supers. I can usually get to 3 halfway into the game, but after that I rarely get back up to level 2. The level 1 net I almost never use unless I can clearly catch 1 or 2 people off-guard or in a combo. That or I can never get off a super or a multikill level 2 because I get smashed around the stage by everyone. (I'm not that good at evading after being stuck in combos...or evading in general) Anyone have tips on how I could be better as Spike?

Message 1 of 8 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

Re: Spike Discussion & Help

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

Alright, first and foremost, abuse aerial green Monkey Radar because it give opponents less room to move around and it'll give you opening for a combo/Lvl1 or 2 if it connects. Second, use his aerial forward square to move around the stage quicker. It barely has any recovery and you can dodge roll or block immediately when you land. Third, use his down triangle on grounded opponent which also open up for combos or a super. Fourth, use aerial triangle and quickly press triangle again since this is a lot safer to use than grounded triangle. This is a good anti-air tool. And finally, use his teleport to be in a better position when need to be. Like being knocked in the air like a ragdoll and distancing yourself. Now everything else is all on you and how you utilize his other moves. But for now, this is a good start.

Btw, welcome to the forums.

Message 2 of 8 (203 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6395 posts

Jan 17, 2013
You know what is funny and sad? I spent the second most time with Spike and he is currently over level 350 with me, but I never figured out how to use his teleport until recently. I figured it out in a lag match where none of my opponents moved and I just played around. I facepalmed when I found out how to use it.
Message 3 of 8 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
27 posts

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for that, but I already kinda use these moves in my strategy already. Only problems I seem to be having is connecting with level 1's after doing anything to set up for it. Also lining everyone or setting for his level 2's. His super moves are the problem for me.
Message 4 of 8 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2214 posts

Jan 17, 2013

I might be able to help any spike player. I consider myself pretty good considering I won the first tournament with ginta

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Your true face... What kind of... Face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?..." Majora's Mask

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Winning the very first tournament in Playstation Allstars with Ginta2468. Me being Spike Ginta being Sackboy.
Message 5 of 8 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 17, 2013
I feel like I'm one of the best Spike players there is and I don't think I'll ever feel truly confident when throwing out his Level 1/2 supers! All I can say is, practice makes close-to-perfect.
Message 6 of 8 (157 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1364 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

Use down triangle at the descent of a short-hop/jump near the ground. That way you can quickly use a Super lvl 1/2. this also work very well when jumping onto a higher platform. As said before, use the aerial green Monkey Radar. If it connects the first hit, then you can connect with a super since the hitstun lasts long enough for the second banana to connect.  As for Lvl 2s, you can use   Bananarang to a grounded oppenent. Whether it hits from the front or behind, once it connects, use a lvl 2. You can also connect with Lvl 2s with grounded Up square and cause them to bounce back from a wall into a lvl 2. As for FFA try to use a Lvl 2 during someone elses attack. Like if E.Cole does a Superman or Nathan does the Rifle run, than you can punish with a Lvl 2. Never try to distance yourself with the Lvl 2. It'll miss since it's so easy to avoid. So try to be oppurtunistic as you can.

Overall, just use down triangle as your main set up for supers. It's especially effective and easy to use. However, it'll take time and patience to master Spike. Just like how it takes time and patience to capture monkeys.

Message 7 of 8 (146 Views)
Monster Hunter
27 posts

Jan 17, 2013

jamcakes wrote:
I feel like I'm one of the best Spike players there is and I don't think I'll ever feel truly confident when throwing out his Level 1/2 supers! All I can say is, practice makes close-to-perfect.

I guess I'll keep at it. I usually play 3 hours every night from 8-11 and play MANY ranked games. Tonight I kind of raged at my TV because I had lost five times in-a-row trying to level up from 90 blue belt. (about 50 or so now)  Repeated f-bombs (about 20) were thrown at the TV...mostly at the Kratos's and Radec's. Still gonna keep at it, not many people play Spike ranked and I feel confident I can get better.

Message 8 of 8 (144 Views)
0 Likes