Dec 02 2012
By: Weidleface Treasure Hunter 7970 posts

Spike- A Hidden Gem

25 replies 432 views Edited Dec 2, 2012
After proclaiming myself a Sly main since the public beta, I may have to amend that statement. I've taken quite a liking to Spike recently, and it surprises me how little he is used in comparison to the rest of the roster (even FP).

His supers are a little lacking, but they're also the cheapest in the game. He has a decent Lv. 1 setup with his neutral triangle, but other than that it's quite rough to land. On the right level, his Lv. 2 is killer. He has some great AP gain, especially considering how cheap his supers are. His gadgets also make him a killer keep/away character. I'd argue that he's on par with Sackboy and Radec in terms of keep-away.

He's a bit slow, but you learn to work with that, and the charge-up aspect pf many of his attacks actually makes him a surprisingly deep character. I'm still working on him, but I like what I see.

Currently Playing: Star Wars Battlefront, Heroes of the Storm
Twitch|Twitter|YouTube|Instagram
Message 1 of 26 (432 Views)
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: Spike- A Hidden Gem

Dec 2, 2012
Can you please explain his level 1 setup? I want to main him but I find his level 1 always missing in FFA battles, I constantly mistime it, I heard one can combo into it, but I'm not sure what combo it is.

Could you explain?
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 2 of 26 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Dec 2, 2012
i think the nuetral triangle is the electric ball thing that stuns opponents...
Play For Fun!
Message 3 of 26 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 2, 2012
The only time i've really tried spike I did fairly well. I might give him another go.
Pinkie Pie is best pony.
Message 4 of 26 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Dec 2, 2012
I thought his electric ball was DOWN + Triangle.. hm could be mistaken, but thanks I'll try to do that in practice mode.

If that works reliably, I'm going to switch my main from Radec to Spike simply because Radec is garbage on any map that is not predominantly horizontal. And NO his grenades/shock grenades are crap in gaining AP, his AP gain is predominantly his Sniper and many maps just take that away.
------
Message 5 of 26 (411 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Dec 2, 2012
Radec's side - square gives a good amount of AP, and has a huge knockback...
Play For Fun!
Message 6 of 26 (408 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Dec 2, 2012
Doesn't work in medium range. I'm talking about maps with slopes etc. where you need a decent medium range attack.
------
Message 7 of 26 (405 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7970 posts

Dec 2, 2012
Neutral triangle is his RC car that shoots the laser upward. It has a crumple effect that leaves the opponent vulnerable if you hit them with it while they are on the ground. It's harder to set up in 1v1, but the car itself is still a great keep away tool.

You can try his down triangle t to set up a Lv. 1 as well (the ball of electricity), but I've gotten mixed results with it. It's easy for people to get out of if you don't time it perfectly.

Currently Playing: Star Wars Battlefront, Heroes of the Storm
Twitch|Twitter|YouTube|Instagram
Message 8 of 26 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Dec 2, 2012

yeah i was a radec main and decided to go for spike and i already have him lvl300+ xD he is a fun character you can lay 3 banana peals on the floor wich stop people russhing at you and the boomerange is amazing and es the only good way to land a lvl1  is using the neutral triangle but its very hard to do it escecially if your oponents has ranged moves, spike problems are his supers really he has a decent close combat with his swords.

lvl1 has a tiny range and cant be comboed him easily most of the time your like  crap lets try it anyway and you get cancelled it works preety well killing lvl 2 like raiden and big daddy to the hitboxs being so near spike protecting him xD

lvl 2 this move really needs to be faster its slow and on big stages its useless since your oponenets will just  jump over it i wish this move was has fast as radec arc beam since it only kills if your hit by the wave.

lvl3 cheap and isnt worth the AP you kill more than 3 with several lvl 1 or just kill as much with a lvl2

Message 9 of 26 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

Dec 2, 2012

Tekn0tize wrote:
I thought his electric ball was DOWN + Triangle.. hm could be mistaken, but thanks I'll try to do that in practice mode.

If that works reliably, I'm going to switch my main from Radec to Spike simply because Radec is garbage on any map that is not predominantly horizontal. And NO his grenades/shock grenades are crap in gaining AP, his AP gain is predominantly his Sniper and many maps just take that away.

Is air Down triangle but timing is needed, since most of the time they recover at the moment super is activated. I mostly hold out til his lv two and activate when people are in a bunch but the bad thing is when that blade beam hits something, its gone.

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 10 of 26 (393 Views)
0 Likes