Wastelander
587 posts

Re: Spamming move limitation

Feb 14, 2013
Told you. Get out of that mindset. If you continually think that people voicing opinions means they're automatically complaining or that they suck, then your words have no merit at all.

Message 71 of 86 (119 Views)
Survivor
2456 posts

Feb 14, 2013
Once again the problem is to many characters have to many situational moves. Look at sackboy. He has a fan, a jumppad, a teleporter, a bouncepad, an upward grab that is the hardest attack to connect with in the game, and a shockpad people will have to walk into. Now those moves I just listed, are a huge portion of his moveset, taking up spots that others characters have attacks, the smash bros system doesn't just limit somebody who uses 1 attack over and over, it limits those who could just use the same two or even 3!
Message 72 of 86 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9965 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013
Well like others have said, too many characters with too many situational moves. This is a big problem for Radec, Sackboy, and Emmett.

How is nerfing them for using a certain move too much going to help them?
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 73 of 86 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1783 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

noskillbassist wrote:

Nobody in this thread that is for a SMN system is making a good case. All I see is "IT WILL MAKE EVERYONE BETTER HURRDURR" when in reality, I'm pretty sure none of you know how to handle spammers. Especially ed, Mr. Old School Badace over here. If you were that good, you wouldn't care about spamming as most people already don't. In fact, you'd welcome it because, hey, spamming only makes them that much more predictable.

Seriously, you're all crying about a non-issue.

See, this is the type of "logic" that completely misses the point of this thread. I've held my own against spammers, but whether or not I personally can deal with them has nothing to do with how balanced/imbalanced spamming is. I've managed to beat hackers before in Modern Warfare 2. So by your logic, I guess that since I'm able to beat them, they're not imbalanced? I managed to beat many of Sagat players online in SF4, so by your logic, Sagat isn't op because I was able to beat him. Do you realize how little sense that makes?

It seems like every time somebody suggets a nerf/buff on a certain character, the only thing the majority of people on this board can do is talk about the OP's lack of skill, as if that made his/her point any less valid. Is it possible at all for you guys  to look at these issues objectively? With that logic you might as well say the developers of this game are whiners & lack skill, because hey, anyone who wants a buff/nerf is just some noob, right?

Only thing I'm trying to say in this thread is that spamming takes considerably less skill than creatively using your entire moveset. Smash had a system that rewarded players who took advantage of their characters' entire moveset and punished spammers. I think All Stars could benefit from such a system, maybe even better than Smash did since there's no concept of variable knockback in this game. At least read up about Smash's Stale Move Negation and learn how it works before dismissing it and calling everyone who supports this system a bunch of whiners. 

Message 74 of 86 (94 Views)
Survivor
2138 posts

Feb 14, 2013

I'm sorry but I disagree about spamming. As an example I will use Cole. 

- Spamming generates nowhere near as much AP as doing combos. One grenade from either Cole generates 20 AP. Meaning that you will have to land roughly 7 grenades on target to garner a level 1. An AP burst takes roughly 3 seconds to perform from initiation to completion and with most characters barring probably Dante it ensures a full level 1 meter. After the first few attempts to spam any half decent player will go out of their way to prevent you doing it making it a much less viable tactic over the long term. 

As a rough figure say you roughly perform 3 - 4 AP bursts a minute, which considering it takes roughly 3 seconds to perform should be an easy bench mark to make. Over the course of 3 minutes or 180 seconds you will have garnered approximately 1300 AP which is equivalent to at least 1 level 3 and 2 extra level 2s. If over the course of 3 minutes you allow someone to garner 1300 AP from doing the same thing over and over then perhaps you and not you specifically just a generaliztion but you deserve to lose. After the first 30 seconds in any FFA if I see a player spamming and getting AP consistently from doing the same thing best believe I am going after them. 

2. Spamming is only beneficial to the person if they are allowed to do it.

Spammers spam because that is the best and most comfortable way for them to generate AP, as I said before spamming will never get you anywhere as much AP as doing combos consistently. Meaning that the spammer in question would much prefer staying from afar and attacking than taking the initiative and going up close, that being the case two things should immediately occur to you

a)this player does not play well up close

b)up close this player would probably be easier to gain AP off than others

That being said any spammer should serve as an immediate homing beacon to anyone looking to gain AP quickly with little risk

3. Removing spamming so to speak lends itself to more limited playstyles. We've all played the game and can agree different characters excel at different ranges. Kratos and Raiden are deadly up close whereas players like Radec and Ratchet are reserved to a more ranged profile. That being the case imposing any sort of penalty on players for spamming is immediately handing the advantage to players that are more up close and personal. Mind you do not think I am confusing spamming with zoning, however as a part of their repoitoire zoners tend to spam at certain instances. Meaning that using that specific move repeatedly in that instance is the best and most viable option, you cannot penalize persons for taking what they view as the best course of action with the character specific moveset. Imposing a penalty for such forces people to use options that are simply not suited to be used in a specific situation, meaning they will focus more on altering their moveset and building AP which in turn lends itself to stupid albeit fresh gameplay. If every move were a viable option in every scenario then I may agree with you but as with every other fighting game in existence is never the case. 

Spamming is a tactic/moveset/perversion call it what you will of the community and is just a legitimate gamestyle as any other albeit an annoying one. Just like any other gamestyle it has it's pros and it's cons, it's strengths and it's weaknesses and failing to acknowledge it as such will only create futher frustration for yourself. It is annoying, it is aggravating but it has it's weaknesses and it is up to you as a member of the community to find the flaws in each and every tactic and learn the way around them.

Message 75 of 86 (77 Views)
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Feb 14, 2013

This is a terrible idea. It's asking the developers to help you solve a problem you are experiencing when you can solve it on your own by playing better. Spam is a part of the game. You can't just ask the developers to take out a feature you don't like just because you don't like it. Some people like it. Deal with it like an adult who wants to win, not like an entitled child.

Message 76 of 86 (75 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Feb 15, 2013
Making it so that people use more than just one or two moves is not ruining a game. It's increasing the replay value beyond adding a few new characters and attempting to increase the skill level of the general online arcade. Games that utilize online gameplay should attempt to increase the skill of the players, not reward them for poor playing skills. Especially if it's a fighting game.
My PSN
Message 77 of 86 (62 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Feb 15, 2013
I have formally requested that a deminishing return algorithm be put in place in psasbr as a means to increase the online gameplay quality of this game. Hopefully Sony will see where this will be needed, and will implant this feature into the game as a means to increase the longevity of this game.
My PSN
Message 78 of 86 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Feb 15, 2013
But without spammers, there won't be any more predictable players, AND that will make me suck worse! (I kind of feel that I'm the only one happy to challenge a kratos)
Message 79 of 86 (52 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Feb 15, 2013
Dispair, I'm sure that you don't suck at the game. Just take some time with your favorite character and do their combo challenge. After that, go into practice mode and figure out how to create your own combos. The only limits you have in a game like this are the ones that you put on yourself.
My PSN
Message 80 of 86 (47 Views)
0 Likes