Wastelander
587 posts

Re: Spamming move limitation

Feb 14, 2013
I'm back. Not bothering to look through the entire thread, but from what I can gather, what's being suggested here on how to deal with moves being spammed is to place diminishing returns on them, right?

Something like, if a particular move is being used consecutively, with minimal alterations in other moves, its AP generation would begin to temporarily decrease. Indirectly forcing players to think outside the box and fully utilize the other options they have until it's a good time to use that same move again?

Not only will this effect zoning characters, but Kratos and . . . pretty much everyone else. Though, to a lesser extent.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Message 51 of 86 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Feb 14, 2013

nasrulez wrote:
Radec's moveset is about getting people away so he CAN use the rifle. He was designed to be heavily reliant on the rifle.

1) So Radec's rifle isn't be able to be used at mid-range, where his other ranged attacks (like grenade launcher & bolt gun) would also be useful? 

2) Again, if you fear that a SMN system would "destroy" certain characters, then maybe you should learn how to utilize their entire moveset instead of just one or two. Radec's other 20 or so moves are there for a reason.

Message 52 of 86 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Feb 14, 2013

@Gale

I think a system like Smash's Stale Move negation would work really well in this game. The only problem it had in Brawl was that some characters (like Shiek) were able to use the reduced knockback to get a few extra spammed hits in their combos. But since PSASBR has no concept of varying knockback, that wouldn't be an issue with this game.

Message 53 of 86 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2443 posts

Feb 14, 2013
Are you even reading what we're saying? Radec was designed to have his best move be his sniper rifle, what your saying is let's make an already bad character worse. Who the hell cares if he has 20 other moves. All of his moves help him get people so he can use his sniper rifle. This sort of system would require him to be FORCED to get closer instead of having players forced to get closer to him.
Message 54 of 86 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2443 posts

Feb 14, 2013
Let's also put in a system where people can't do the same combo over and over again. Call it a Stale combo negation system.
Message 55 of 86 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Feb 14, 2013
Yes, they are there so that he can get away from or otherwise deter people closing in on him.

This system just wouldn't work for every character. Take, for example, Sir Daniel. He has very few combos, and all of them use nothing but the square button generally speaking. Up square in the air and the axe-a-rang are his only decent sources of AP generation, so he for lack of a better word needs to "spam" them.

The problem isn't spam itself, spam will generate pitiful AP in comparison to actual combos. Spam is just something to set up a combo, as most spammed moves will either knock you down or force you to block / dodge. If a player knows nothing but spam, they will not generate a satisfactory amount of AP assuming the other players can block properly, and will amount to not much save for being annoying.

The characters who are generally associated with spam, Radec and Sackboy to name a few, resort to spam due to their lack of reliable close range combat. Sackboy has pitiful combo initiation, forcing him to rely on annoyance and chaos. Radec bluntly has no half decent combos, causing many players to spam his sniper rifle.

In conclusion the problem is not spam itself, simply the way some characters are designed to not have combos.
Message 56 of 86 (83 Views)
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Feb 14, 2013

I still don't get why you're assuming that Radec's best move is the only move you should use to win. If that were true the rest of his moveset would be completely useless...which it certainly isn't. And I've already explained exactly why a SMN system wouldn't "worsen" Radec, but would actually help him. 

You do know how SMN works, don't you? The damage reduction on one move gets reset once you start doing other moves in your arsenal. That's why it would be to your advantage to use multiple ranged attacks instead of just one; they would keep resetting each other so you get maximum damage from each attack.

Message 57 of 86 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2443 posts

Feb 14, 2013
That system wouldn't change this game at all. it would literally do nothing.
Message 58 of 86 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Feb 14, 2013

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

I still don't get why you're assuming that Radec's best move is the only move you should use to win. If that were true the rest of his moveset would be completely useless...which it certainly isn't. And I've already explained exactly why a SMN system wouldn't "worsen" Radec, but would actually help him. 

The issue with that theory is that his moves aren't all designed to be used whenever he feels like it. They're situational, not random assortments of spammable attacks. If a person repeatedly sets themselves up to get hit by one of those attacks, they should be.

Message 59 of 86 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Feb 14, 2013

CosmicFlare0 wrote:

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

The issue with that theory is that his moves aren't all designed to be used whenever he feels like it. They're situational, not random assortments of spammable attacks. If a person repeatedly sets themselves up to get hit by one of those attacks, they should be.

That's the point I'm getting at. With a SMN system, players would have to take advantage of these situational moves instead of just camping with one move in the corner. It's called risk vs reward. Right now, players are able to win matches easily by just repeating one move over and over again, which makes players who like to spend time in practice mode to learn every move a character has question why they're even bothering to do that. The game certainly doesn't reward players who mix up their playstyle more than spammers.

A SMN system would fix that; it wouldn't make certain moves "useless" like so many people in this thread assume. It would force them to get creative & use skill to reap the benefits of their most powerful attacks.

Message 60 of 86 (63 Views)