Dec 19 2012
By: Fumbles-GET_OWND First Son 23 posts

Some balancing ideas

19 replies 226 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

I recently played a match and I got knocked out of my level one at least four times by Spike's bananas. That was just crazy. And then I started thinking about ways to fix some of the balancing issues. 

Firstly, I think level one specials should only get canceled by a powerful move. This would help with some of the issues with people like Kratos and Drake. I get knocked out all the time by either those guns or those **bleep** chains. If it was more selective about canceled specials, Kratos wouldn't be as big a deal as he is. Also, we need to be able to cancel Sly's level one. I've had so many times where I kicked him right when he did it and I still died. He's just cruel, along with his counter and teleport spam. 

The other thing I noticed was out of the twenty characters, four of them have screen kill level 3 specials. Every other character has the potential to kill their opponent at least two times during their specials except Toro (my main), PaRappa, Heihachi, and Spike. You never really see anybody use theirs because it's not worth it when you can kill the same amount with their level two special.

There should also be some people who can use their specials in the air. Toro's special kicks him towards the way he faces, he should be able to do that in the air. And Spike's level one would be more effective if he could pull it off before he hit the ground.

Some other things:

Raiden's level two being able to freeze people more than once is just overkill imo. If he can't pull it off the first time, let it be.

Same for PaRappa, let him have to hit you instead of just touching you during level two.

After I hit level 999, I don't want to have to sit through the points anymore just to see how my rank changed. They're very redundant and annoying after that.

If some of these ideas can be implemented, I'm sure the calls for buffs and nerfs will decrease. You don't have to nerf and buff everybody for good balancing. Leave a comment if you have any good ideas.

Message 1 of 20 (226 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Re: Some balancing ideas

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2012

You can stop sly's level 1 you just need to do it almost the moment it activates, Sly can't dodge any supers himself and has very very poor ways of building meter after getting one hit so he kinda needs to have such a good level 1.

The screen kill level 3's will always gaurentee a kill no matter what the opponent does but the likes of Kratos' level 3 while it has the POTENTIAL for multiple kills it also has the potential to get 0 also, this also makes up for the fact his level 1 and 2 are kinda suckish but his level 3 is by no means much better than the screen kills, in 1vs1 and 2vs2 the screen kills are amazing for stock matches because of the limited number of lives so being able to get a gaurentee'd kill is fantastic especially if characters level 1's and 2's aren't as able to hit confirm.

Air supers I don't think everyone should be able to do, maybe one or two to make them more unique but not all of them, especially since some supers in the air would be kinda pointless if they're supposed to kill things above them like Jak's level 1.

PaRappa's level 1 is awkward to combo into so that's why his level 2 is so fast at the cost of not lasting a long time.

If the game needs tweaked the changes need to be very minor to be honest and not huge ones that will completely crimple a character, make another character steroidal or make something potentially game breaking. I can understand and respect your ideas but a lot of them are things you just learn to adapt to by playing the game.

Message 2 of 20 (215 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Dec 20, 2012

I think I have hit Sly at least 50 times right when he used his level one, and I have yet to knock him out. You think I would do it at least once after so many connects, but no. And while he can't block or dodge roll, a lot of people have teleported out of a lot of my level one and two specials. And with PaRappa, people have adapted to his level one as you say. A lot of people use his chain grab and then level one. It's pretty impossible for him to miss with that combo.

Message 3 of 20 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Fumbles-GET_OWND wrote:

I think I have hit Sly at least 50 times right when he used his level one, and I have yet to knock him out. You think I would do it at least once after so many connects, but no. And while he can't block or dodge roll, a lot of people have teleported out of a lot of my level one and two specials. And with PaRappa, people have adapted to his level one as you say. A lot of people use his chain grab and then level one. It's pretty impossible for him to miss with that combo.

None of PaRappa's setups are confirms. I can set an enemy up in the air to be hit by his L1 but I can't know when they'll recover and in which direction. (A single air dodge on a falling enemy completely ruins his L1.)

I'd like to see a video of this particular "chain grab" you brought up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 4 of 20 (186 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Strife93 wrote:

Fumbles-GET_OWND wrote:

None of PaRappa's setups are confirms. I can set an enemy up in the air to be hit by his L1 but I can't know when they'll recover and in which direction. (A single air dodge on a falling enemy completely ruins his L1.)

I'd like to see a video of this particular "chain grab" you brought up.

It's the chain he throws out to pull an opponent before he starts hitting them like 20 times. I don't know how it works. I don't know if you have to cancel it or not. I don't play with him, but I get killed every time I fall into that trap.

Message 5 of 20 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 20, 2012

OHHH, that's his Mic Grab. Smiley Tongue
That Mic Grab to Level 1 combo is very dodgeable, whether it be through crouching, rolling, or just walking away. Seriously.
(I find that the shorter characters often have a better chance getting out.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 6 of 20 (174 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Sly's teleport does not give him instant invicibility like a roll and the invincibility frames are nowhere near as long so Sly can seriously get destroyed by undodgeable setups on wake up. As soon as Sly is knocked down he can become a serious victim of even characters that don't have particularly good tech chase game, Fat Princess and Sweet Tooth have a ridiculous advantage at controlling his wake up the moment he gets knocked down.
Message 7 of 20 (169 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Strife93 wrote:

That Mic Grab to Level 1 combo is very dodgeable, whether it be through crouching, rolling, or just walking away. Seriously.

Oh yeah, the grab itself, is avoidable. I'm saying that they have adapted to his level one with that technique. If you get caught in it, it's a wrap for you.

Message 8 of 20 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Fumbles-GET_OWND wrote:

Strife93 wrote:

Oh yeah, the grab itself, is avoidable. I'm saying that they have adapted to his level one with that technique. If you get caught in it, it's a wrap for you.

I'm saying it's not. That's false. I know because I've been using PaRappa as my main for several weeks, but that doesn't say much... so let me get my capture card and Sony Vegas and... 
"BACK IN 5"

WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 9 of 20 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Dec 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure Strife93 is saying PaRappas super after the mic grab is avoidable, not the grab its self. It is super avoidable, I avoid Parappas level 1 when he pulls me in most of the time, you can roll away pretty easily if you know what you're doing.
Message 10 of 20 (149 Views)
0 Likes