I Only Post Everything
1194 posts

Re: So is 22 characters still considered small?

Nov 18, 2012

Hey ho, guys there will be more DLC soon.

0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Nov 18, 2012
I think 22 is good for a series starter... If this was part 2, then it would be a problem...
Message 12 of 39 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Nov 18, 2012
20 is small 22 is still small 26 - 30 would be medium.
Message 13 of 39 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2179 posts

Nov 18, 2012

I never even considered 20 small for a few reasons.

1. We knew DLC would be coming so that could possibly bring the 20 up to 26 or maybe even more if they add multiple character packs.

2. This is a first attempt at making a game like this for the Playstation, lets hope they make a sequel and learn what needs to happen to make the game better.

3. In SSB some characters were variations of another or the game just contained multiple characters from 1 franchise (Toon Link, Young Link, Dr Mario, Zelda, Wolf, Lucas, etc) each character in this game with the exception of Cole is unique and represents their own franchise, not multiple characters representing 1.

4. In SSB, certain character's moves were recycled from another except in their form. Look at all the Starfox characters, they literally all have the exact same moves, just slightly altered. Same goes for Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Lucario, Link and Toon Link, Lucas and Ness, and even Ike and Roy had very similar traits/moves. In PSASBR each character's combos and attacks are unique to only them and nobody else.

In short, if you wanted this game to have a bigger roster, SB could've just done what Nintendo did with SSB. Take multiple characters from the same franchise, and copy movesets. I'm not a hater of SSB, just saying that it wasn't exactly perfect when it came to its roster and actual gameplay. And I compared these two games so heavily because they are pretty much the same general thing.

/Rant

Message 14 of 39 (152 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Nov 18, 2012

Yes it is but that's not the problem at all.

Message 15 of 39 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Nov 18, 2012

Does it really matter? We're getting more anyway.

Message 16 of 39 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
46 posts

Nov 18, 2012

RaiXku wrote:

I never even considered 20 small for a few reasons.

1. We knew DLC would be coming so that could possibly bring the 20 up to 26 or maybe even more if they add multiple character packs.

2. This is a first attempt at making a game like this for the Playstation, lets hope they make a sequel and learn what needs to happen to make the game better.

3. In SSB some characters were variations of another or the game just contained multiple characters from 1 franchise (Toon Link, Young Link, Dr Mario, Zelda, Wolf, Lucas, etc) each character in this game with the exception of Cole is unique and represents their own franchise, not multiple characters representing 1.

4. In SSB, certain character's moves were recycled from another except in their form. Look at all the Starfox characters, they literally all have the exact same moves, just slightly altered. Same goes for Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Lucario, Link and Toon Link, Lucas and Ness, and even Ike and Roy had very similar traits/moves. In PSASBR each character's combos and attacks are unique to only them and nobody else.

In short, if you wanted this game to have a bigger roster, SB could've just done what Nintendo did with SSB. Take multiple characters from the same franchise, and copy movesets. I'm not a hater of SSB, just saying that it wasn't exactly perfect when it came to its roster and actual gameplay. And I compared these two games so heavily because they are pretty much the same general thing.

/Rant

I agree. And not to attack smash but they did get lazy with final smashes. I just wish people would do what you did and make some detailed points. So many people just say "oh smash is just better in every way because it just is." Like it is impossible to enjoy both for what they bring to the table.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 39 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Nov 18, 2012

Wesley37 wrote:

Nope. Never did considered it small when it was 20 then & not even now when there is 22 with the DLC. But I already know there was users who couldn't accept the roster.

khailcon wrote:

A 20 character roster is not small. Not to evoke comparasons but Brawl has 39 characters, several of which are varients. Melee had 25 and that was enough variety to keep it going for quite a while.

The thing is.... you're comparing it to a game that is years old & comparing to another game that is too many years old. Melee had a variety of characters but not a variety of movesets because of "clones". I could play as Mario or Dr. Mario, that's cool, but that's a clone.

Brawl improved better but they can still be seen as "clones" such as Fox/Falco/Wolf or even Link/Toon Link.

Also, try to compare a roster in this year 2012. Try to compare fighting games that aren't Brawl. I could compare one that came in 2012 & it has the exact same numbered character roster as PS All-Stars (till early 2013 where it'll 22 Chars).

I think you misread my reply. I'm in agreement. I was saying that Brawl and Melee both had somewhat larger roster but with smaller over all characters due to clones. 20 is a good reasonable roster size. 

Check out my video game blog: http://pixeltrowel.wordpress.com
I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Message 18 of 39 (134 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Nov 18, 2012

khailcon wrote:

Wesley37 wrote:

Nope. Never did considered it small when it was 20 then & not even now when there is 22 with the DLC. But I already know there was users who couldn't accept the roster.

khailcon wrote:

A 20 character roster is not small. Not to evoke comparasons but Brawl has 39 characters, several of which are varients. Melee had 25 and that was enough variety to keep it going for quite a while.

The thing is.... you're comparing it to a game that is years old & comparing to another game that is too many years old. Melee had a variety of characters but not a variety of movesets because of "clones". I could play as Mario or Dr. Mario, that's cool, but that's a clone.

Brawl improved better but they can still be seen as "clones" such as Fox/Falco/Wolf or even Link/Toon Link.

Also, try to compare a roster in this year 2012. Try to compare fighting games that aren't Brawl. I could compare one that came in 2012 & it has the exact same numbered character roster as PS All-Stars (till early 2013 where it'll 22 Chars).

I think you misread my reply. I'm in agreement. I was saying that Brawl and Melee both had somewhat larger roster but with smaller over all characters due to clones. 20 is a good reasonable roster size. 

I kudoed you by mistake lol. Anyway, take out all the supposed "clones" from Brawl (they're not), and the roster is still much much bigger than Battle Royale. 

Message 19 of 39 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Nov 18, 2012
20 seemed small, especially when there are so many good characters that could have been put in, but now that there saying, were putting these 2 in, and hope to have a lot more dlc. im ok with it. Also, being cross buy, and the vita almost being a perfect port of the ps3 system. im happy.
Message 20 of 39 (126 Views)
0 Likes