Wastelander
561 posts

Re: Sir Daniels Shield

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

TweetyPurd wrote:

boboMELOSHE wrote:
There are no drawbacks to having the shield out. It makes him completely immune to projectiles when it is out and increases the armor on his charge attack. there is no reason to not have it equipped at all times. His movement speed is always extremely slow, with or without the shield,.

then why not always have it equipped as defult? why have the option at all?

Why not always have Sweet Tooth's or Sly Cooper's land mine always out by default? Why not have Ratchet's "Mr. Zurkon out by default? Why not have Parappa's boom box always out by default? Why not always have Heihachi's next attack charged by default?

Didn't someone also say the shield eventually breaks anyways? Also technically the shield will only protect Daniel from projectiles if they hit him in the front (where his shield is at) while he will still get hit from the rear. Pulling out the shield probably leaves Daniel vulnerable for a little bit so they don't want the character to be immune to all projectiles 100% of the time. There probably is some degree of risk for trying to pull out the shield, but if you can manage it then you get to reap the rewards.

Message 21 of 33 (956 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Nov 6, 2012

The mine always out arguement isn't the same since the shield is a buff. Not a stationary damage dealer.
Even Mr. Zurkon isn't the same. The point is that all Zurkon adds is a bit of dmg onto Ratchets normal attacks. Same with the others it's just not the same.

Sir Dans shield is a direct buff that literally changes how useful he is in combat. He doesn't just deal a bit more damage he reflects projecticles and more. 

I'm worried he'll be sort of like Hakan in Street Fighter. Which from as much as I remember wasn't usefull unless he had the oil on him. 

Message 22 of 33 (945 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Nov 6, 2012

Heihachi has a direct buff as well...he can charge his next attack to generate additional meter...

Message 23 of 33 (937 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

Zunja wrote:

The mine always out arguement isn't the same since the shield is a buff. Not a stationary damage dealer.
Even Mr. Zurkon isn't the same. The point is that all Zurkon adds is a bit of dmg onto Ratchets normal attacks. Same with the others it's just not the same.

Sir Dans shield is a direct buff that literally changes how useful he is in combat. He doesn't just deal a bit more damage he reflects projecticles and more. 

I'm worried he'll be sort of like Hakan in Street Fighter. Which from as much as I remember wasn't usefull unless he had the oil on him. 

You say that always having to equip his shield is only needed to improve his abilities. It's up to you on whether you want to use his shield or not. It's only a defence tactic at best. The same can be said for various other characters. ex. You don't have to resort to spamming Radec's sniper to be a great player. The same can be said for his(Dan's) shield. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 24 of 33 (935 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Nov 6, 2012

Adding damage, through charging, is different than changing something about the char which makes him just better, Dans projectile immunity.
I'd agree it was a defensive tactic if it did something else, make him swing slower (oh lord), gain less AP, or something negative. It's just there right now to make him better with no real downside to using it.

I don't dislike those kind of mechanics. It could easily work as a zelda/shiek type thing with the shield giving different abilities even if just a few. It could also just swap numbers around like he gains more ap when he doesn't have the shield up but the shield being up reduces ap gained from hitting him.

I don't even care if, to use a base system, the shield increases how good he is but only if it's done right. Like if every character is a B, but sSir Dan starts as a C, then upon using his shield becomes a B+ or an A. I just don't want to to be Sir Dan is a C and with the shield he is a B.

THat's simply what I'm worried the shield will be. Also the sniper spam is different, though I think it's a legit tactic if the people keep getting hit by it, because it is a basic attack he has. The shield simply makes Dan better. I mean I'll play him none the less he's one of the two chars I want to main. I just hope the shields done right.

Message 25 of 33 (927 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

I say we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions regarding this until the game launches. Sir Daniel Fortesque does not occur to me as a character that needs any nerfs from the zero high level videos out there right now. I'm also not a fan of nerfing something just because you are not "a fan of it," no offense

Message 26 of 33 (922 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Nov 6, 2012

Derp I said I'm only "not going to be a fan" if the shield makes him a comperable character. IE if he HAS to use the shield to be equal to the other characters. I never said it needed nerfed or buffed this is all just speculation. I think we should be speculating since that's the point of the beta forums and a little conversation never hurt anyone.

I'll state it again I'm just worried he'll have to use the shield to be on the same level as everyone else. Sort of like Hakan in SF who had to oil up constantly to be really usable. 

Message 27 of 33 (913 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

Street Fighter is a completely different game though. Hakan was just a terribly designed character for reasons other than his oiling mechanic. I don't think Sir Daniel Fortesque HAS to rely on the shield to get through projectiles. From what I've seen, Sir Daniel Fortesque can hang with the best with or without his shield. His moveset appears to me as very good (the range of that broadsword is insane).

Message 28 of 33 (907 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Nov 6, 2012
@Zunja where did you hear Mr. Zurkon adds damage to Ratchets normal attacks? I never heard that I figured he would build a bit of ap for Ratchet with its bullet landed.
Message 29 of 33 (902 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2012

It is pretty tech I love his ground projectiles too with his head walking at them for a stun. I'm really excited to see how the projectile reflection can be used. I feel like in certain situations he'd just be terrible to deal with.

I feel bad for the Sir Dan v. Radec matchup. Smiley Tongue

EDIT: That's what I meant by "add damage" was that he attacked on his own and I assume gains Ratchet bonus ap.

Message 30 of 33 (898 Views)
0 Likes