Fender Bender
3716 posts

Re: Sir Daniel only good for 1vs1?

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

to counter your title, i don't think he's only good for 1v1,
i main both radec and him, and i had a blast,
his lvl 1 is really situational, but you can get multi kills from it if you can trick your opponent, and you can also get to kills if they are basically touching you, but are too distracted to hit you...

Play For Fun!
Message 11 of 24 (89 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

I don't think I'm contradicting myself. I'm saying in comparison to a lot of the cast Sir Daniel has the short end of the stick for FFA because of his supers not being well suited for it.

If the opponent's that close to you they can easily throw you or just hit you out the super because the horizontal range is awful while very short characters like PaRappa, Sackboy and Toro are even less likely to get hit on the ground even if they are that close. Also because Dan is completely stationary for his super he can't do what someone like Kratos would do and activate the super from a safe distance so that by the time the super's hitbox appears once he's close to the action and by then he's too close for his opponents to stop the super and they'll get hit but Dan stands perfectly still during his with no forward momentum or horizontal range to travel across the screen like Radecs supers.

In solo his supers are good since he's almost gaurenteed a level 1 off of his combos which characters like Sly or Kratos can't do but in FFA he can't really take advantage of watching 2 characters being caught in a 3rd players comboa nd he just walks up near them to land a super because his Super range is far too short or requires them to be in the air.

Message 12 of 24 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Nov 27, 2012
sorry dude, i accidentally mistyped 'yo'
it was meant to be 'to'
but honestly, the overall outcome for him, i don't actually care whether he's good for 1v1, or vice versa, or both,
i play for fun, not to win, if i do win, then it's an added bonus,
but i'm sorta glad that between my two mains, i got my first 1st with sir dan...
Play For Fun!
Message 13 of 24 (79 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 27, 2012

He's actually geared towards FFA's. Many of his attacks cover multiple angles or are meant to hit multiple opponents. Dan builds AP fastest by running into the thick of it.

Message 14 of 24 (73 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Nov 27, 2012
Oh I agree, I intended to play Sir Daniel ever since he was announced and had a blast reliving playing MediEvil for PS1 after downloading it again from the store and I still intend to play as him but I'm merely pointing out his pros and cons. I don't care too much about him not being as good in FFA, it can be annoying at times but it's not a detterent. If it bothers me that much I can still play as my Beta Main Fat Princess or start goofuing around as Sweet tooth or Good Cole. All the characters are very well designed in how they reflect their respective games but none of them are perfect and none of them are downright awful for every scenario either.
Message 15 of 24 (72 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

@ Levi-Skardsen Yes but his SUPERS are not designed for this because of the same reasons's I've mentioned earlier, he can;t use them to take advantage of when 2 or 3 characters are in a struggle together on screen.

Dan's supers are better for comboing into but usually only result in hitting one or two targets but characters like Sly, Radec and Kratos can activate supers from standing near the action and letting their super kill the enemies by approaching them on the ground but Dan's don't do that, he needs them to be right above him or right next to the action where he's likely to get hit out of it before his attack hitbox appears. His level 3 for example can't be gaurenteed to kill 5-6 players like other characters because he can't keep all the characters within his bubble as they all scatter across the screen.

Imagine this, there are 2 characters being caught in the middle of a Raiden combo on the ground, Fat Princess then walks up near the action but still at a safe distance enough to not get hit by Raiden or characters mashing to get out of Raidens combo and activates her level 1 to travel across the ground allowing her super hitbox to just kill everyone infront of her. In a similar scenario Radec can walk up near the action and activate his super and let the attack travel across the screen to get towards the enemies trapped in the combo or doing the combo.

Now in 1vs1 Fat Princess tries to run up the other other player from the same distance she'd try to take advantage of 2 or 3 fighting each other. In doing so the player she's trying to attack can see it coming a mile off and dodge out the way with no problems since there's no one to interfere with him trying to dodge so Fat Princess just misses. The same player fights Radec 1vs1, Radec aims his super but again the player see it coming a mile off and just roll out the way without anyone stopping him. Radec can't really combo into his level 1 all that well so he starts struggling to land supers compared to if he took advantage of when others were fighting together in FFA.

Now Sir Daniel in FFA can't use a super to run up towards a group as it starts up from a safe distance allowing the hitbox to form. Nor can he run to the other side of the screen and activate a super to watch a projectile or beam travel across towards the enemies grouped up fighting.

In 1vs1 however he will only have to focus on comboing one opponent and once he gets them with an up triangle or up square he is nearly always gaurenteed a level 1 or 2 kill which other characters supers are often too slow to do while his level 3 allows him to just chase one opponent instead of 3 all over the place. In FFA his combos will often get interrupted meaning the only other way t get super kills is by pure luck of having the opponent above you.

Message 16 of 24 (68 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 27, 2012

I do think his supers need to be changed, but not drastically. His level 1 should be forward aimable, not just up or diagonal. His level 2 should have a wider beam, especially considering there's less opportunities to hit opponents above you. His level 3 shouldn't reset if the opponent gets out of the AoE, the amount of "damage" they take from it should be cumulative.

Message 17 of 24 (62 Views)
Wastelander
889 posts

Nov 27, 2012
He is good in all not to mention has the easiest to get a ap burst try down square up square up square up triangle up o and air up square
Message 18 of 24 (60 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Tmix1600 wrote:
He is good in all, not to mention he's the easiest to get an AP burst. Try down square, up square, up square, up triangle, up circle and air up square.

Made your post legible.

Message 19 of 24 (57 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Nov 27, 2012
@ Wastelander I agree, I don't think he should have Level 1 aim directly behind him but he should definatly have a varient where it goes horizontally. Level 2 perhaps have a wider beam or better homing on his energy afterwards ne yes level 3 shouldn't reset once a player jumps out of it for just a second :L
Message 20 of 24 (56 Views)
0 Likes