Nov 27 2012
By: CalDW19940 I Only Post Everything 1169 posts

Sir Daniel only good for 1vs1?

[ Edited ]
23 replies 258 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

Well I've been playing as Sir Daniel since the launch of the game.

As of right now I have only about 7 1st places to my name and several dozen 2nd's, 3rd's and 4th's. Now I've grown fully aware now that Dan just seems to have very little options for dealing with a crowd of enemies. However in the matches I've had offline in 1vs1 or online 1vs1 I've came first several times consistantly against players I've fought and lost to many a time in FFA.

Due to the nature of his Supers Dan can't use any opportunist kills like players can do when there is a struggle going or if he ever does get a chance it's interupted or just misses due to lack of range but 1vs1 Dan's supers are much better suited since he can set them up once a combo starts unlike other characters who's supers are often too slow or easily dodged to just throw out randomly like they would on a crowd.

This is similar to my thoughts that Jak is best suited in FFA and not 1vs1 since his meter gain and moves require hitting multiple enemies at once.

Anyone else able to share thoughts on this? I personally believe a lot of characters people don't like fighting in FFA have a much harder time in 1vs1 and those that are better in 1vs1 suffer more for FFA but that's just my thoughts, Sackboy for example seems to have a much tougher time fighting in 1vs1 yet everyone hates him taking advantage of struggles in FFA. 

Message 1 of 24 (258 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Re: Sir Daniel only good for 1vs1?

Nov 27, 2012
he can hit multiple people, can hit from all angles, has armor.... no, he is good for FFA. he may be slow but he can get in and his armor is really important for him.
Message 2 of 24 (249 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1079 posts

Nov 27, 2012
To me he only seems good in FFA...
all stars photo psasbr2_zpsc1059804.png

My raiden over all your mains.
#PSASBR2
Message 3 of 24 (248 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Nov 27, 2012
He's the slowest character with a lot of defense. He is a very passively played short-ranged character. He shines in FFA.
Message 4 of 24 (241 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Nov 27, 2012

he is good for all matches,i use him as a swordsmen back up Smiley Happy

Sly: Not a problem because ya know...
Bently: Don't say it!
Sly: That's how I roll!

Message 5 of 24 (238 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Yes he can hit multiple people however his armor doesn;t save him from command grabs and due to the popularity of characters with either better range or speed than him he struggles more in FFA to take opportunity.

For example, Sly is amazing in FFA since his level 1 super is the best for taking opportunistic kills, it's fairly fast, has good range and Sly can't be hit out of it. I've never really seen sly combo with this, more often than not it is used when 2 or 3 players are busy getting caught in each others attacks and Sly just walks up near the action and lands several kills with his Super.

Dan however cannot do the same thing because he can't catch up to his enemies in time for most situations, his supers require the opponents to be above him and lack the needed range horizontally to effect action on the ground where fighting and strugles tend to tend to take place. Even when he manages to combo all 3 opponents for a Super setup he can only focus the direction of his level 1 on one character he's juggled while the other 2 split away from him or air dodge. In 1vs1 this is not as difficult as he can have a much easier time keeping his opponents pressured and will nearly always be gaurenteed a level 1 kill on them through a combo where as someone like Kratos is very unlikely to get a level 1 kill on Sir Daniel in 1vs1 due to the nature of his super being more for taking advantage of when others are fighting and not so much an easy thing to combo into.

Message 6 of 24 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Nov 27, 2012

I actually have to agree with the OP. Sir Daniel is actually MUCH better in 1v1, due to his supers. Had he stronger supers, he would be much better at FFA, but this is not the case. He actually does really well in Stock FFA, as he can build level 2s until it comes down to, essentially, a 1v1. 

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 7 of 24 (220 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

@Dude5059

Yeah his supers seem much better for targetting single opponents, his level 1 is able to react to whatever direction his opponent tends to fall in after an up triangle or up square, his level 2 is a little less useful but can still mean instant death for anyone above him and his level 3 allows him to just follow the one player he is fighting to kill them but in FFA players can scatter all over the place making it hard to keep them in the aura bubble, especially since it resets when they get out even for a split second.

This means he might only get 1 or 2 kils for a level 3 in FFA which some characters can get 6-7 with level 2's OR 3's.

Message 8 of 24 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

CalDW19940 wrote:

Well I've been playing as Sir Daniel since the launch of the game.

As of right now I have only about 7 1st places to my name and several dozen 2nd's, 3rd's and 4th's. Now I've grown fully aware now that Dan just seems to have very little options for dealing with a crowd of enemies. However in the matches I've had offline in 1vs1 or online 1vs1 I've came first several times consistantly against players I've fought and lost to many a time in FFA.

Due to the nature of his Supers Dan can't use any opportunist kills like players can do when there is a struggle going or if he ever does get a chance it's interupted or just misses due to lack of range but 1vs1 Dan's supers are much better suited since he can set them up once a combo starts unlike other characters who's supers are often too slow or easily dodged to just throw out randomly like they would on a crowd.

This is similar to my thoughts that Jak is best suited in FFA and not 1vs1 since his meter gain and moves require hitting multiple enemies at once.

Anyone else able to share thoughts on this? I personally believe a lot of characters people don't like fighting in FFA have a much harder time in 1vs1 and those that are better in 1vs1 suffer more for FFA but that's just my thoughts, Sackboy for example seems to have a much tougher time fighting in 1vs1 yet everyone hates him taking advantage of struggles in FFA. 

Daniel is good for all modes. I've seen players destroy with him. He's harder to learn, deal with it. He may need a couple buffs but he can still manage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 24 (174 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Nov 27, 2012
@Wastelander

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's outright useless in FFA but you have to admit he doesn't have supers he can use to throw out and take advantage of when there's a struggle between 2 or 3 opponents near you like Sly, Fat Princess, Kratos, Jak and Raiden can.

Solo Dan will be able to focus on using his supers for gaurenteed kills after a combo while his opponent can't really combo into their level 1 because they are better suited for taking opportunity for when the enemies are all fighting close to each other.

Please read some of the other posts I've put in this topic about it for a mor examples of what I mean.
Message 10 of 24 (140 Views)