Oct 14 2012
By: Dispy657 Hekseville Citizen 320 posts

Secret characters won't hurt sales

9 replies 327 views Edited Oct 14, 2012

20 characters real or just false hope? Well let me give you some more hope, It's true that if Cloud, Snake, Wander and Crash are in the game, it would make more sense to have them on the front of the cover to drive pre-orders, but let's face it, the only people who are pre-ordering are people who've tried it at conventions (and their friends they convince)  People on the forums (that's you, and hopefully your friends) but people who just play casually might not even know the game exists (litterly no PR in Denmark where im from)

there's two three types of valuable customers in Superset's situation

1. the pre-orders (people who've been following the game / played it somewhere

2. the day one buyers (this is where the PR team could've been better)

and the last which is the most important for my argumentation - The first week buyer (who waits on reviews of the game before spending his/her money on the game or in some situation only buys the game if X is in it)

I can guarantee within two days of the game coming out (if there were secret characters) they would've been on the internet and the first week buyers would've spotted it by then.

"But wouldn't it be easier to just slap them on the cover to make more profit?"

yes and no, all the way from the start of development Superbot have been all about it's a game for the fans, how would the game be in the best possible position from a fans side of view?

to see the characters you want most, being in the game, unlocking on the screen when you've bought the game, I can't deny it would be awesome to just randomly out of nowhere during story, a colossus smashin Nariko just as she's about to attack Kratos, then out of nowhere Wander comes in and get's some glory

from a profit side of view, yes, that would generate sales.

What I think they will do is keeping the last 4 secret until the game comes out, when all DLC is released for the game they'll make a GOTY edition of the game with all DLC in the same game and slap a new cover on with all the big names.

what do you guys think of this idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos is always appreciated

All Stars Theme
Message 1 of 10 (327 Views)
Wastelander
690 posts

Re: Secret characters won't hurt sales

Oct 14, 2012

love it

Message 2 of 10 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
233 posts

Oct 14, 2012
I just dont like how superbot is marketing this game and the fact when we ask them important question they always say "stay tuned"
Message 3 of 10 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Oct 14, 2012
It's a good idea, but you gotta think from a marketing standpoint it just wouldn't make sense at all. The point is to drive pre-orders and first day buyers, not to allow used copies to go on the market for others to nab. Characters like Sir Dan and Spike would make more sense as secret characters because they are characters for the PS1 era and hardcore gamers which will surprise and delight us without risking putting people off at the thought of them not being included.

Also Seth & Cl0ckwlork confirmed this to be the final on disc roster with DLC planne to be announced at VGA 2 weeks after the games release, which kinda makes sense for them to go about the current situation.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 4 of 10 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Oct 14, 2012
I know what you mean, from a market point of view they screwed up but I think they are playing this one by word of mouth, if they can't market it, hype it up until it explodes into sales, if you get what I mean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Stars Theme
Message 5 of 10 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Oct 15, 2012
I do, but it would be a really bad way to go - not that I'm saying its impossible for them to go that route, it's just unlikely considering the circumstances, at this point, they need reveals more then anything if they have it in them.

Anyways it was confirmed by Seth and Cl0ckwork at the PSABR NYCC tournament that 20 is the final on disc roster (not just launch), with DLC set to be announced at VGA 2 weeks after the release of the game.
Message 6 of 10 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Oct 15, 2012
I really wish we at some point will know what happend at Superbot after the Beta leak, it turned everything upside down :/ and two weeks after release is pretty early IMO? (which is a positive thing mind you)"

All Stars Theme
Message 7 of 10 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Oct 15, 2012
Well only the announcement is confirmed for VGA (7th December), the actual release date may not be until a few weeks after - Seth & Cl0ckwork said it may not be ready by the end of this year.
Message 8 of 10 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Oct 15, 2012
if we get some of the rumored characters down the line, then im happy Smiley Happy!

All Stars Theme
Message 9 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Oct 15, 2012
except omar said 20 characters...

Message 10 of 10 (145 Views)
0 Likes