Apr 21 2014
By: Just--Tank SIEA 415 posts

Santa Monica Studio Update & All-Stars

[ Edited ]
253 replies 6054 views Edited Apr 21, 2014

Hey everyone,

Now that the patch has been live for over a week, it's time for us to perk up again on communication. I purposely let the debates rage on here because it is 100% impossible for any balance opinions to be considered valid after only a few days on the patch. It's too easy to fly off the handle after a few days, everyone has their favorite characters, favorite strategies, we literally threw the book at you and said HEY....throw your old strategies out the window and start playing PlayStation All-Stars in a new strategic way. That is what seperates those who want to live in the past, and those who want to push a game forward.

We knew we wouldn't get it right, hell, we probably wouldn't even come close. You guys have kept this game going on your own, with a fire and passion unlike no other, it would be impossible for us to please everyone 100%.

So where are we right now? We cannot promise a 2nd patch, but I can promise you we're reading all feedback and evaluating any potential game-breaking, emergency level issues. We understand a balance patch of this magnitude may require tuning, but have yet to determine if we can.

For example - the issue Vita cross-player owners are having, unable to install the game, is our #1 priority right now that we hope to resolve asap in the next few days. This likely does not require a patch, but we've got all hands on deck to resolve.

We also do not intend to interrupt the Level-Up Runback tournament with any gameplay changes. That would not be fair to the tournament and those who are developing strategies, in addition to the MLG tourney coming up, and other weekend weekly's you guys are putting on.

Regarding balance, we hear you on some of the main issues being discussed:

• Spike, Toro, Zeus were not buffed enough
  • Kat and Cole weren't nerfed enough
  • Isaac was nerfed too much, though we feel this requires more time to adjust to
  • There are still some unintented LVL1 confirms in the game, mainly for Cole, Fat Princess, and Jak - these may not be an issue in the long run

The bottom line is the best characterrs in v1.11 got nerfed and all the worst characters got buffed. The gap between the best and worst characters is now much smaller than anyone expected, and those whose characters got worse are yelling the loudest.

We hear you, but please recognize, these changes are still very new and fresh and like any great fighting game, require time to evolve and adapt to. You cannot play this game the way you played it in v1.11, and why should you? That's no fun.

We're also aware of some code and online bugs, but cannot promise we have resources to address these.

We're here, listening, evaluating, and doing our absolute best to honor our committment to this community. We are proud of this patch and whether we patch again, or do not, we'll be supporting all community efforts and the online servers.

Keep the feedback coming, but please keep it structured.

Also - to those who keep creating "bait" threads for us (i.e. the forurms are dying, we don't care, X character is dead, etc)...please stop =) These forums are still the most popular in all of PlayStation, except for the General General Discussion and the always fun hell pit, Off-Topic. 

Thanks,

Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 1 of 254 (6,054 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Re: Santa Monica Studio Update & All-Stars

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2014

Message 2 of 254 (6,048 Views)
Wastelander
601 posts

Apr 21, 2014

You forgot to add Drake to the 'Kat and Cole weren't nerfed enough' speech. Other than that, some quality nutshelling there. 

Also, why delete 4 pages of a thread when only one word was against the ToS? I was enjoying that thread. 

Message 3 of 254 (5,958 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
250 posts

Apr 21, 2014

Tank this is the result of Patch 1.12

Look at what you've done!

Message 4 of 254 (5,897 Views)
SIEA
415 posts

Apr 21, 2014

We'll try to nerf our ToS actions, I actually do not handle that. I will speak to the Admins. Thanks for the note.

-Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 5 of 254 (5,872 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5848 posts

Apr 21, 2014

Just--Tank wrote:

We'll try to nerf our ToS actions, I actually do not handle that. I will speak to the Admins. Thanks for the note.

-Tank

Hey Tank, would it be benifical if I make a YouTube video about what nerfs Kat should recive to bump her out of top tier?

I know that I know not
Message 6 of 254 (5,839 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Apr 21, 2014
@just-tank what exactly do you guys at Sony Santa Monica have planned for the future of PlayStation all stars such as content or contests or even (sorry guys) more DLC support ?
Message 7 of 254 (5,834 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Apr 21, 2014
Ok I'm feeling a bit of regret now...

Glad to know that you are listening and everything but..dang...
Message 8 of 254 (5,829 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1610 posts

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the continuing support Tank! Glad to hear that you're monitoring everything we discuss Smiley Happy
Fingers crossed for future updates!!!!
Message 9 of 254 (5,825 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Apr 21, 2014
A sequel would be better
Message 10 of 254 (5,818 Views)