Dec 05 2012
By: Plasmakirby Lombax Warrior 219 posts

Rolling Needs Fixing

11 replies 211 views Edited Dec 5, 2012

Several time I roll out off the way to avoid an enemy, or a super, yet the animation and animation frames just don't seem to add up. Is it supposed to give such short invincible animations? I've been grabbed out of a roll, supers have hit me even though I roll past them, and it gets very frustrating. The only reason I even try rolling is because it worked wonders in smash bros.  Not gonna be one of those smash bros people who hate on this game, but I do think the invincible frames on dodges should be longer to match the animation more precisely.

Message 1 of 12 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Re: Rolling Needs Fixing

Dec 5, 2012

In Smash you can be grabbed during rolls.

Message 2 of 12 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Dec 5, 2012
in all the time ive played smash ive never seen, or been grabbed during a roll. its a complete invincible state. even final smashes could be rolled through.

in psasbr its near impossible to roll through a super
Message 3 of 12 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3528 posts

Dec 5, 2012
The strategy guide says you can be grabbed out of rolls.

Message 4 of 12 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3002 posts

Dec 5, 2012
I don't know what's wrong with your rolling but I roll out of everything. It works great for me.
[The YouTube Poser]

Message 5 of 12 (174 Views)
Wastelander
561 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Unlike Smash Bros you can actually be grabbed out of rolls in this game. Also unlike smash bros, you can't be grabbed while jumping (you can in smash).

The main reason why you are probably getting hit during your roll animations is because you are probably playing online. Sometimes lag makes it seem like you rolled out just in time, but it didn't register for the opponent so it works against you. What you see on your screen may not necessarily be happening on your opponent's screen. Offline rolling is a lot better than it is online.

Message 6 of 12 (158 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Dec 5, 2012

MarcusSoul wrote:
I don't know what's wrong with your rolling but I roll out of everything. It works great for me.

pretty much the same for me. I've had no problems with rolling though a buddy playing offline with me took a while to get used to the rolls. He would complain everytime I anticipated one of his rolls and fired off a super right as he was coming out of it.

PSN: tha_jammer

ABE and CHIMERA FOR PSASBR
Message 7 of 12 (156 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2421 posts

Dec 5, 2012
people roll out of my supers all the time, I don't know how many times wasted a big chunk of radecs level 3 or somehow don't freeze them with raiden's level 2 because of how insane the rolling is.
Message 8 of 12 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

Plasmakirby wrote:
in all the time ive played smash ive never seen, or been grabbed during a roll. its a complete invincible state. even final smashes could be rolled through.

in psasbr its near impossible to roll through a super

I've played Smash for years and 80% of the time I'm grabbed during rolls which happens almost all the time

Message 9 of 12 (134 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

You can be grabbed during a roll which is intentional, it creates a lot of mixup options for characters if you manage to bait someone into rolling for a free throw or you bait someone into thinking you'll roll and try to grab leaving them vulnerable to attack during the grab recovery animation.

Also not every character's roll is the same much like in fighting games that have invincible backdashes they aren't the same. Some characters have rolls that travel far like Fat Princess and last a while but some have very fast shorter distance rolls like Big Daddy or Sackboy. In some cases this is based on how that character plays, Big Daddy has a ton of armored moves that plow through attacks so his roll is naturally made with less invincibility while Sly can turn invisible as a tradeoff for not having a roll at all.

Not sure if there's any frame data gathered yet on how fast starting up and recovering or how much invincibility each characters roll is but I know it's not the same for everyone.

Only time for me rolls can be buggy is if it's online in which case trying to dodge is pretty hard due to everyone not receiving data quick enough so while you may be dodging on your screen you might not be on your opponents.

Message 10 of 12 (103 Views)
0 Likes