Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Re: Ripped off? If so, still playable?

Nov 12, 2012

Hamurio wrote:
@Thirty3Three

Hey man, im on your side here. Sorry my english might be bad but what i meant is that i cant believe that I'm the one who believe your logic. PSASBR is "inspired" by SSB to me.

It's the politically correct term, "inspired".

They saw that Smash Bros.'s idea works, and they did it themselves.

Which is fine, don't get me wrong, they did it with Crash Team Racing and the game turned out OK.

But the effort people put to push PSABR as far as possible from Smash Bros., it's... "adorable".

Message 61 of 90 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Nov 12, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

Hamurio wrote:
@Thirty3Three

Hey man, im on your side here. Sorry my english might be bad but what i meant is that i cant believe that I'm the one who believe your logic. PSASBR is "inspired" by SSB to me.

It's the politically correct term, "inspired".

They saw that Smash Bros.'s idea works, and they did it themselves.

Which is fine, don't get me wrong, they did it with Crash Team Racing and the game turned out OK.

But the effort people put to push PSABR as far as possible from Smash Bros., it's... "adorable".

Gotta agree with you here. I question everyone refusing to acknowledge this game simply because it's a "rip-off" of Smash Bros, but to deny the comparison entirely is equally silly. This IS Sony's equivalent to Smash Bros. Even if the mechanics are different, the concept is basically the same. They can be compared, but there are people who insist "they're totally different games!" and I don't get that.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 62 of 90 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Nov 12, 2012
Comparisons are silly, we got two great games (technically four great games lol), who cares if they have similarities. Calling it a rip off is just wrong because the differences aren't minuscule and are apparent to anyone who plays both games (myself included).
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 63 of 90 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Nov 12, 2012
Yah, well im sorry to called it a ripped-off, i should have use the word "inspired" in the first place. I agree with everyone that would say PASBR and SSB both are great games and they can coexist Smiley Happy
Message 64 of 90 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Nov 12, 2012
Oh, I wasn't directing that at anyone specifically, it was a general comment.
Message 65 of 90 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Nov 12, 2012

Here's a few other games that have used the Party Fighter idea started by Super Smash Bros

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble

Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion

Onimusha Blade Warriors

Power Stone

DreamMix TV World Fighters

Obviously some of these are to a much lesser extent, what with Power Stone's fully movable levels and Onimusha Blade Warriors' entire system mechanic (you know what I mean), but they all took at least some inspiration from Smash.

I think what's in everyone's mindset is that, people are desperately trying to 'compete' with eachother, and as Nintendo is the forerunners of console innovation they're usually the first thing everyone compares them to.

tl;dr: Console wars are disgusting. Stahp.

Message 66 of 90 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Nov 12, 2012

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
Comparisons are silly, we got two great games (technically four great games lol), who cares if they have similarities. Calling it a rip off is just wrong because the differences aren't minuscule and are apparent to anyone who plays both games (myself included).

I wouldn't say comparisons are silly. Just as Uncharted gets compared to Tomb Raider, as Silent Hill gets compared to Resident Evil, as Gran Turismo gets compared to Forza, as Call Of Duty gets compared to Battlefield, PS All-Stars will be compared to Smash.

Are they the same genre and overall concept? Yes. Are they clones? No, because they feel very different to play. Comparisons will be made, but as long as they're sensible comparisons (e.g. personally, I find All-Stars to be developed more with strategy and combos in mind, with much tighter controls) I don't see them as an issue. Crying "rip-off" however, helps no one Smiley Tongue

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 67 of 90 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Nov 12, 2012
True, but they benefit no one really - it just brings about arguements. The Call of Duty & Battlefield comparisons are the worst I've seen as of yet.
Message 68 of 90 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
517 posts

Nov 12, 2012
Message 69 of 90 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 12, 2012

In most fighting games I end up playing only a very small subset of the actual roster.

With PSASBR I expect it to be a slightly larger subset but still definitely NOWHERE close to the full roster size. I will certainly not be interested in Cole, Evil Cole, Dante, Nathan Drake, Nariko and Heihachi. Anyone other than those has my interest!

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 70 of 90 (37 Views)
0 Likes