Highlighted
Jul 16 2012
By: Intangible_Truth Lombax Warrior 179 posts

Ring Out and Stage Interaction Suggestions

[ Edited ]
26 replies 348 views Edited Jul 16, 2012

Hey there guys, just going to bring up some gameplay suggestions. So I’m going to shoot down the elephant in the room: this game is NOT going to have a percentage/health system. Fair enough, time to move on. I was thinking of other ways SuperBot can utilize their current system:

Ring Out Suggestion:

Someone a while back, HighFlyer_15, wrote up a thread about a ring out idea. Here it is:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Ring-Outs-idea/m-p/37426301/high...

I think this is a compelling suggestion that could further improve on the current system by opening up more strategic options. Basically, ring outs would force you to respawn, but instead of deducting points or removing a life, you respawn with either your super bar completely depleted, or if that’s too dramatic of a consequence, then a large chunk of your super bar reduced. Surely, ring outs don’t have to (and in some cases, can’t) apply to all stages, but perhaps just a few, ala Sandover Village for example.

Something this game is missing that is present in Super Smash is the way platforming elements affect the dynamic of the game. In SSB, I can use verticality and platforming to my advantage because there is always the danger of falling off the stage for both myself and for my opponent. That’s not the case here in PASBR, so I question what the purpose of including platforming truly is. I think the suggestion marked in the linked thread makes a strong case and I don’t think it would require SB to completely overhaul their current fighting mechanic to include it. If anything, I think it would further enhance the “defense through offense” formula their trying to brew!

This leads me to my next suggestion.

Damage Level Options for Stage Interactions:

The stage interactions are really cool, but seem to lack a punch. I feel they’re all flash and have little substance. I think it’s incredibly generous of SB (but also widely necessary) to have included the option to turn them off, but I challenge SB to take it a step further. What if they were to include the option to choose the level of damage stage interactions can cause. For example:

• Of course, the ability to turn them off.
  • Mild: As it is now. Small amount of AP balls depleted, low stun damage, etc.
  • Moderate: Higher amount of AP balls depleted, longer stun damage, etc.
  • High: Enormous amount of AP balls depleted, or in some cases, even being forced to respawn with a fully depleted super bar etc.

Also, looking back at the parameters of the ring out suggestion, I think some stage interactions should force you to respawn. The most obvious example that comes to mind is the shark in Sandover Village. As it is now, I don’t think I’d feel the blood rush of wanting to return to the main platform of the stage, in fact, it’d probably feel like a cumbersome chore because the shark does nothing but extract a few AP balls from me. Not very threatening to be honest. This could be one such case where the respawn premise could be put to good use!

Well that’s all I got for now. What do you guys think? Agreements/Disagreements? Anything to add or alter?

Message 1 of 27 (348 Views)
Wastelander
841 posts

Re: Ring Out and Stage Interaction Suggestions

Jul 16, 2012
Wait, do you mean that falling into the water at Sandover doesn't cause you to respawn? That even being hit by the lurker shark doesn't?

...This needs to be changed. I can see why being hit by hazards such as the shockwave from Hades only stuns and subtracts AP, but falling OFF THE STAGE should definitely count as a respawn. I'm not sure about the idea of resetting the AP Meter, though, as that can be extremely harsh...
Message 2 of 27 (330 Views)
Fender Bender
3500 posts

Jul 16, 2012
I don't think ring outs should be in the game but at least the stage interactions should kill you.
IT'S MY WAY OR . . . HELL IT'S MY WAY
Message 3 of 27 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Astroking112 wrote:
Wait, do you mean that falling into the water at Sandover doesn't cause you to respawn? That even being hit by the lurker shark doesn't?

...This needs to be changed. I can see why being hit by hazards such as the shockwave from Hades only stuns and subtracts AP, but falling OFF THE STAGE should definitely count as a respawn. I'm not sure about the idea of resetting the AP Meter, though, as that can be extremely harsh...

At least in videos I've seen, you only lose a few AP balls by getting bitten by the shark and that's it. Yeah, I think so too, I think a more generous alternative would be that you lose a good chunk of your AP meter instead. 

Message 4 of 27 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Jul 16, 2012
Also, I'd add "Insane" to the levels of stage hazard damage, where being hit by a hazard kills you, like StefanForsell24 said (I think).
Message 5 of 27 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Meh. You are at least trying to modify the Smash Bros. formula into PSASBR this time, but do we need ring outs? Dojo, for example, does not have a ledge to fall and cause a ring out. Plus, characters do not have "recover" moves (like up-B moves in Smash Bros), so ring outs would be annoying.

The stage interactions should make sense, but a damage scale would not be a bad addition perse (albeit it is not really needed).

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 6 of 27 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Here's an example of the lurker shark in Sandover Village. Watch Drake at 0:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXWCA0Gvhcw

bob-maul wrote:

Meh. You are at least trying to modify the Smash Bros. formula into PSASBR this time, but do we need ring outs? Dojo, for example, does not have a ledge to fall and cause a ring out. Plus, characters do not have "recover" moves (like up-B moves in Smash Bros), so ring outs would be annoying.

The stage interactions should make sense, but a damage scale would not be a bad addition perse (albeit it is not really needed).

Personally, I don't see their reason for including platforming elements. I suppose it affects the scope of movement (you can use the stage to run from certain Supers) and certain characters, like Radec, can use the stage to find vantage points (if even that because I'm not certain if you can aim your weapon in a certain direction). Aside from that, I don't really see how platforming will have an avid affect on the gameplay, especially when it doesn't challenge your skill to keep on the stage. Dojo is fine as it is, imo, I was just referring to stages like Sandover Village (not sure how many will be similar to it in the final product). Hm, I didn't know there weren't recovery moves, then again I haven't played it lol. I guess in videos those are just double jumps? 

Yeah, I like the idea of customizing stage interactions. I like when a stage keeps you on your toes.

Message 7 of 27 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Well. W/E platforms there would be no different levels and no skill to fighting. No where to dodge, blah blah. It'd lose all depth

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 8 of 27 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2012

Yeah I suppose that can be said. I just feel that, currently, they have it just for the sake of having it. To each his own really, I'll know to be more open to it when I actually play it. I'm sure there must be some form of strategy to the verticality in PASBR, even if it doesn't pose a direct threat to the competition.

Message 9 of 27 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Jul 16, 2012

I agree that things like the lurker shark should do more damage, or should I say take away more AP when hit. But as for ring out, I don't think this game needs it nor should have it. Not only would that make this game even more similar to SSB, but it would over complicate the killing system. You would have to worry about supers and getting knocked out too. Heck, people might just focus on knock out instead of supers since it'd probably be quicker and easier.

Aside from things like the lurker shark not penalizing the player enough, the system seems fine.

Message 10 of 27 (227 Views)
0 Likes