Nov 30 2012
By: KingTomkins2 Splicer 46 posts

Review for a friends page. Agree? Disagree?

2 replies 76 views Edited Nov 30, 2012

Did this for a friends facebook page. Here's the URL; http://www.facebook.com/Game.v.Over

So this is a week late because of "Financial Issues". This pretty much just means I couldn't afford the 80-90 dollars it costs me to buy brand new console releases last week. However; This week I could afford it and I honestly would not have spent my earnings on anything but "Play Station All-Stars Battle Royale" 

So, right off the bat there's been a lot of talk about "PSAS" being a "Super Smash Brothers" clone. Now, while aesthetically they do have some similarities, I can assure you that it stops there. "PSAS" is a very different beast, and it's a very sexy beast at that.

When you start this game up you're greeted by a pretty awesome cinematic that displays the main campaign rivalries. Sitting there watching this opening sequence my brain was exploding and I was doing jumping jacks. "Holeeeey" I thought. "This is going to be insane" I thought. The cinematic ends and I'm greeted with quite possibly the most amateur cam looking menu screen I've seen in my life as a gamer. I mean, christ, flash games have more engaging and attractive menus than this game. "It's ok, It's just the menu right? The game's going to be good... Right?"

Well, I was right. I left those damned menus behind and started playing the game. I think the bad looking menu screen might be a ploy to lower my expectations so that when I did play the game I was blown away. I can say one thing about that, even if it's not true; it **bleep** worked. As soon as I started playing the solo campaign I almost cried. The combat is great and also what differentiates "PSAS" from "SSB". the main objective of the combat is to pull off combos and hit with moves that gain different amounts of AP (Action Points) thus charging your super bar. Super's are pretty much just final kill moves, but here's the kicker; you need to use them to win. There's no other way to win a match and that's where I think the game shines. It's so satisfying to hit someone with a super and on the same note it's a terrifying experience to be avoiding someone who you know has a super and can really do you in with it. I don't know why I expected anything less from a game that had some of the biggest names in the "Fighting" genre behind it. It's satisfying to fight even a computer when you're pulling off those combos and using your super to finish them off. 

I'm actually going to cut this short 'cause I've got some sleepin' to get done. But in summation I'd say at least give "All Stars" a go and I garuntee you'll enjoy the combat. Even if you're not a fan of technical fighters like "Smash Brothers" or "Street Fighter" you'll enjoy the nostalgia that some of the roster provides and probably the quirky rivalries like "Jak and Daxter" VS "Ratchet and Clank".

Enjoy yourself.

I'm a floater, not a fighter.
Message 1 of 3 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: Review for a friends page. Agree? Disagree?

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2012

Nice write up.

Action Points.
Ability Points.
All-star Points.

We need more expansions for AP!!!

The other difference I noticed was in games like MK, you can buffer up a combo, in this game you cannot.

Basically in MK for combo's where you don't need to hit confirm, you can just buffer it up as fast as you can mash them and the game will execute it out for you, in this game there are not too many combos you can simply just buffer up. Some of them involves popping enemies in the air as the last hit and those don't buffer up like in MK. You have to wait till the hitbox is in the right place before proceeding for several of the combos in this game.

I love this game and the fighting mechanics. I would not call this game a "less technical fighter" in any way. It just handles differently.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 2 of 3 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
46 posts

Re: Review for a friends page. Agree? Disagree?

Nov 30, 2012
I didn't say it was a less technical fighter. I said if people don't enjoy those then the nostalgia and rivalry elements might keep them entertained. Thanks for the response. Smiley Happy

I'm a floater, not a fighter.
Message 3 of 3 (62 Views)
0 Likes