Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Re: Radec Combos

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

Radec is designed as a long  range character, people.  Get used to it.  If you don't like it, then go for the Radec.  I have no problem against Radec's or playing as Radec.  Even when everyone is only after me, I still win just about every match.  He's an annoyance, but there are ways to get around his sniper rifle. 

It's not like he has Sly's overpowered right triangle which leaves him completely protected and is fast.  If Radec had that, it'd be like an instant sniper rifle shot you could use repeatedly. 

However, both Parappa and Sly are best at closing in and  getting Radec users.  Parappa you can use either the mic dash or the air kick to travel distance in the air while he's charging and shooting his sniper.  Drop down and then jump back up before he can pull it off again.  If Radec still goes for the sniper, you're in a close enough range to forward triangle in the air.  Also, use L1.  Sly doesn't have L1, but double jump and then hold X and he'll float down slowly.  Once the sniper is fired off, let go of float and then jump back up.  Even better.  Hold L1 to turn invisible while you're doing so.  Instead of doing that, you can also use Sly's bomb basket which can't be damaged by Radec's sniper and also protects everyone behind you from the sniper as well(great if it's 2v2 and you're fighting versus Radec.)

Radec's attacks are super close range.  If you're having trouble against him up close, then that means you really suck.  If you're Parappa, then you're also close range, but you have a lot of combo opportunities against Radec and your close range attacks have a bit more range.  If the Radec goes defensive, just hope he's not a better dodge roll  grab master than you are.

Even if you focus on Radec.  Good Radec players will be able to win a close range fight and send you back to attacking the other person. 

Message 21 of 35 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

Like Me Smiley Very Happy (I spam with Radec..alot)

SIR DANIEL AND SPIKE FOR TOP TIER!!!!!
Message 22 of 35 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Oct 23, 2012

I am starting to get really good with Radec..i don't spam as much as a used to 

SIR DANIEL AND SPIKE FOR TOP TIER!!!!!
Message 23 of 35 (736 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Oct 24, 2012
Nice strategies, everyone. Let's see if we can go deeper.
Message 24 of 35 (706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 25, 2012

Gotta second kupomoji, if you can't punish a spamming Radec, then you're just not very good.  I've been playing mostly Radec and Fat Princess, and I can ALWAYS own a Radec spammer with FP, which is saying something because she has almost no ranged options whatsoever.  With Kratos, Parappa or Sly it's even easier, since they have ranged grabs and armored dashes.

For combos with Radec, I like 

Square(2 hits) Forward+Square(2 hits) Forward+Triangle.

I'm not sure if that's a true combo or whether people just don't know how to escape it though.

For strategy, I have two things to mention:

1)  It's important to remember that you CAN actually use Radec effectively at mid ranges, if you're smart about it and play some mind games.  Neutral+Triangle, Neutral+Circle, and Down+Circle are great for this.  Short jumping, changing direction in mid air, and firing as you land, mixing up your weapons.  Throw in any of the grenade attacks if you feel good with them.

2)  When you're at long range, you should get more refined than just mashing the sniper, especially since smart players are going to come after you pretty much as soon as they see you setting up shop.  Use Forward+Circle and Up+Circle to cover approach from the air if you see someone jumping in.  And mix in Down+Triangle and Neutral+Circle to mess up the timing of anyone who's approaching on the ground.  You also should jump load the sniper (that is, short jump, then do the sniper input as you land) pretty much all the time, unless you're being given a LOT of space, which will probably happen less and less as people get better at the game.  Jump-loading is mariginally slower than just spamming would be, but it lets you improve your positioning while you fire, and it makes you a MUCH harder target for (a) other Radecs (b) other range spammers, and (c) melee-ers trying to ground rush you.

I think other people have already covered pretty well how to deal with when someone gets in close, but just a recap:  Play it defensive, block and roll, use your Down+Square and the combos we've been talking about.  Also, if someone (say, a Kratos), is comboing you, don't mash x attempting to recover, that will KEEP you right where they want you.  Try to roll or airdodge out of it if they give you an opening, but otherwise just wait for the spinout.  Range is where you wanted to be anyway.  Use the knockback for your retreat.

Message 25 of 35 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Radec is easily my favorite character from the beta. It's true, he is pretty much designed to be a long-range character. If you don't like it, too bad. He has a few decent close to mid-range attacks (I freaking love his flamethrower), but Radec LV 3s come from his sniper rifle (which is actually very easy to avoid 90% of the time).

I was really repping Ratchet before, but Radec is a very close 2nd for my fav character in All-Stars.

PS, I try to avoid spamming as Radec, but sometimes the other players make it too easy ;p

Message 26 of 35 (667 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Oct 26, 2012

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13 wrote:

Radec is easily my favorite character from the beta. It's true, he is pretty much designed to be a long-range character. If you don't like it, too bad. He has a few decent close to mid-range attacks (I freaking love his flamethrower), but Radec LV 3s come from his sniper rifle (which is actually very easy to avoid 90% of the time).

I was really repping Ratchet before, but Radec is a very close 2nd for my fav character in All-Stars.

PS, I try to avoid spamming as Radec, but sometimes the other players make it too easy ;p

Radec is my favorite too, because he's a situational character and can adapt to most scenarios that happen. I love and use all his weapons equally, except the sniper, I keep that to low usage cause I absoultely HATE spammers/spamming. But his grenades/grenade launcher keeps the pressure on the crowd, and you can manipulate them to move to locations you want them to be to set up either a close-range attack (flamethrower/machine gun) or long-range attack (if need be, a sniper shot or two). I've just recently got into using a ton of Teslite grenades/Arc rifle/Up Triangle Shotgun combos (and it works wonders for Slys who like to spam his aerial down square move), and I just love setting up traps for the crowd. And yes, I love the flamethrower too, it's the most under-used weapon by other Radecs, no one sees the true potential in it.
And on a side note, I wish to main Ratchet as well, with Radec definitely coming in second , we have a lot alike xD

photo 2d417387-1f2e-4ac8-af87-e26c742668d8.png
Message 27 of 35 (660 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2220 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Thanks for all the tips and combos. Could someone please make a combo strategy guide for Radec. I would but Im not very good.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Your true face... What kind of... Face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?..." Majora's Mask

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Winning the very first tournament in Playstation Allstars with Ginta2468. Me being Spike Ginta being Sackboy.
Message 28 of 35 (656 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Oct 26, 2012
sent you a PM below belowzero
PSN : PsYkiiiK and also FroZiiiN.... PsYkiiiK is always on PSASBR HMU for some 1v1s
Message 29 of 35 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Posted this is the other thread.

Sniper Combo

(Neutral Square + Neutral Square) > Forward Square + Forward Square > Forward Triangle 

This combo will get you 60 AP by itself, which is very, very good. The bulk of your AP will come from chaining into his Sniper, which nets you 30 free points by itself. Not only is it Radec's easiest combo, it might be his best overall. 

I put his Neutral Square in paranthesis because I haven't quite figured out if it works yet. From what I've seen it works seemingly 100% of the time on slower characters like Sweet Tooth who don't necessarily have quick startup attacks. It works consistently on Sly for some reason. Haven't been able to test this out because of how limited the beta is, but it seems like a definite "maybe" for now.

Trap Sniper Combo

Down Square > Forward Square + Forward Square > Forward Triangle

Instead of guarding and going into Radec's Sniper Combo, you can get a little extra AP by baiting your opponent. Using his down square you can backstep melee attacks and chain the bomb explosion into his Sniper Combo. 

Arc Rifle Juggling

Forward Circle > Up Circle > (Jump) > Up Square

Probably Radec's best anti-air combo. Simply toss out his stun grenade, harass with the Arc Rifle, then finish with the shotgun. Good way to shut down enemies jumping to try and avoid your Sniper Rifle. If the enemy is juggled too high from the arc rifle you can simply do a short jump into Radec's shotgun. 

Message 30 of 35 (640 Views)
0 Likes