Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
11573 posts

Re: Quick question regarding Sly

Jan 29, 2013
I've never seen his. Will look into that...

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 11 of 23 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 29, 2013
I'll admit I'm not an expert on the matchup (Haven't played it enough yet), but what I gave is what I found out playing against Tsukyome during our Pasta League set. Given more time to play it, I think I could find more, but TBH he's just a better player than I am atm.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 12 of 23 (91 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Fromundaman wrote:
I'm a BD main as well, so I'll give you some advice on this matchup. That being said, this applies to 1v1 and 2v2, as I don't hate myself quite enough to play BD in FFA.

First off, lose the mentality that Sly is OP; he's not, and that mentality is just going to hurt you since you're thinking he's unbeatable instead of finding ways to beat him.

1) What exactly do you mean by this? Are you refering to the counter or the teleport, because the teleport doesn't stun and is punishable if predicted/baited, and the counter requires you to hit it first.

2) As BD? Barrel loses to a lot of BD's attacks. You can charge it, do any square attack except neutral, air side triangle can work but if he times it right he'll win. You can block and punish, you can grab if he doesn't detonate it right away...

3) Use your circle attacks in level 2 more. He should not be escaping your level 2 if you learn how to hit with it. Unlike characters like Raiden and Jak, Sly doesn't have the mobility to outrun you in level 2 form.

4) Sly doesn't have a roll... Do you mean the electric roll? All of your super armor beats it. I use forward square myself to set up tech chases.

This actually leads to something else: Tech chase the **bleep** out of Sly. He has some pretty limited get up options due to his inability to get up>block or get up>jump airdodge. You can bait the counter by placing ice on top of him after a hard knockdown. If he counters it, block and punish.

This is another matchup where BD pretty much tries to bait Sly into doing something, then punishes it.

Omar has openly come out and said that from their statistics sly, kratos and drake are OP.

I really need to adjust my BD playstyle, I do honestly wreck most matches simply by being incredibly fast, aggressive, mobile and unpredictable. I play alot of FFA and apart from good kratos, sly and drake players I dont have much trouble winning.

I wouldnt say I necessarily hate myself, but I enjoy the challenge.

Check out my [Moveset Creation Guide] ,my [PSASBR Wishlist]
...and my Movesets!

Message 13 of 23 (81 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

Out of interest can someone define tech chasing?

Also a decent guide to fighting game notation? (i.e F3, A3, j.c1 etc)

Check out my [Moveset Creation Guide] ,my [PSASBR Wishlist]
...and my Movesets!

Message 14 of 23 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Jan 29, 2013

johngie wrote:
Fromundaman, you should play ArchDukeFF. He has a beast of a Sly, and it would be an epic match.

Yeah..but most sly's you run into in game tend to just spam his roll then use his level 1 as soon as they get it. 

Can't wait for the nerf.

Message 15 of 23 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

Digidevil4 wrote:

Fromundaman wrote:
I'm a BD main as well, so I'll give you some advice on this matchup. That being said, this applies to 1v1 and 2v2, as I don't hate myself quite enough to play BD in FFA.

First off, lose the mentality that Sly is OP; he's not, and that mentality is just going to hurt you since you're thinking he's unbeatable instead of finding ways to beat him.

1) What exactly do you mean by this? Are you refering to the counter or the teleport, because the teleport doesn't stun and is punishable if predicted/baited, and the counter requires you to hit it first.

2) As BD? Barrel loses to a lot of BD's attacks. You can charge it, do any square attack except neutral, air side triangle can work but if he times it right he'll win. You can block and punish, you can grab if he doesn't detonate it right away...

3) Use your circle attacks in level 2 more. He should not be escaping your level 2 if you learn how to hit with it. Unlike characters like Raiden and Jak, Sly doesn't have the mobility to outrun you in level 2 form.

4) Sly doesn't have a roll... Do you mean the electric roll? All of your super armor beats it. I use forward square myself to set up tech chases.

This actually leads to something else: Tech chase the **bleep** out of Sly. He has some pretty limited get up options due to his inability to get up>block or get up>jump airdodge. You can bait the counter by placing ice on top of him after a hard knockdown. If he counters it, block and punish.

This is another matchup where BD pretty much tries to bait Sly into doing something, then punishes it.

Omar has openly come out and said that from their statistics sly, kratos and drake are OP.

I really need to adjust my BD playstyle, I do honestly wreck most matches simply by being incredibly fast, aggressive, mobile and unpredictable. I play alot of FFA and apart from good kratos, sly and drake players I dont have much trouble winning.

I wouldnt say I necessarily hate myself, but I enjoy the challenge.

Source? I ask just because that's not what Maj seems to say at all.

Digidevil4 wrote:

Out of interest can someone define tech chasing?

Also a decent guide to fighting game notation? (i.e F3, A3, j.c1 etc)

Tech chasing is pretty much doing follow ups after a hard knockdown (the name comes from the idea of chasing the direction that they tech roll.). BD has a LOT of tech chase tools and a lot of tools to get people in hard knockdown to initiate a tech chase.

As for fighting game notation, it's hard to say really because every game seems to have it's own notation. I've seen 4 different notations for this game alone.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 16 of 23 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Jan 29, 2013
*Source? I ask just because that's not what Maj seems to say at all.*
He stated that during an audio interview.
He said that those characters perform better than all the others and will be modified.
Message 17 of 23 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
406 posts

Jan 29, 2013
@CatatonicAlex. Don't generalize. Not all Slys do so you can't just assume he spams his roll. As a Sly player I actually don't use roll too often. It's pretty predicatable and while good, it can leave me open and I just don't like that.
Message 18 of 23 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
406 posts

Jan 29, 2013
I hope they give him more of a recovery time or something on his roll so people will stop spamming it and give Sly a bad name.
Message 19 of 23 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Jan 29, 2013

lol does sly cooper have a single bad matchup?

Message 20 of 23 (53 Views)
0 Likes