Feb 04 2013
By: ThatDamnNarwhal Gaming Beast 2026 posts
Accepted Solution

Polygon Man, what is he even doing?

[ Edited ]
15 replies 521 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

I know that a lot of people here do not enjoy Polygon Man as the final boss, but I do. Polygon Man was a good choice, he just wasn't exactly put in the best boss fight ever. In my opinion the boss fight was a little dull. But that's not the topic here. The thing I want to know, what the hell is Polygon Man even doing?

I understand why Superbot made him the final boss. That is not what I mean. I mean, why is he even doing all of this? The storyline didn't even give a reason why Polygon man was in the end. The big crystal dude was just... there. There was absolutely no explanation for it. How did the rivals even end up in his world anyways? They just both coincidentally end up in that weird polygon realm? I don't even understand. Why are there so many holes in the plot?

I recently emailed Superbot asking them of this, still no answer. I'm very interested in their reply, if they ever do.

Why do you think Polygon Man is doing this? Is he pulling a MCP? Is he doing it for fun? Is he trying to form an army of video game characters to break on through to the real world to conquer living life like Clu tried in Tron Legacy? Is he going Turbo? Or is he just upset that he isn't Playstation's mascot anymore?

Message 1 of 16 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Re: Polygon Man, what is he even doing?

Feb 4, 2013
The motive was there - an abandoned Playstation mascot, now forced to watch all these Playstation stars take his place on the brand that should belong to him. Unfortunatly, SuperBot took the more conventional barebones approach to the Arcade mode rather then attempting to make it story oriented.

I do agree though, Polygonman was/is the perfect choice as the boss.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 2 of 16 (498 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2026 posts

Feb 4, 2013

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
The motive was there - an abandoned Playstation mascot, now forced to watch all these Playstation stars take his place on the brand that should belong to him. Unfortunatly, SuperBot took the more conventional barebones approach to the Arcade mode rather then attempting to make it story oriented.

I do agree though, Polygonman was/is the perfect choice as the boss.

I had that feeling towards that as the plot, but was it actually officially said anywhere? Even with that said, the rest of the plotline is still a little screwy. I mean the two rivals are fighting over something else completely unrelatted, and still no explanation on how they coincedtally end up in his Polygon realm. 

Maybe things are left unsaid and the holes will be filled in the sequel if one were to come.

Message 3 of 16 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Feb 4, 2013
I don't think the game has a plot at all - it's just somewhat of an excuse to string a few fights together.

Hopefully the sequel will attempt to amend that.
Message 4 of 16 (483 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2026 posts

Feb 4, 2013

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
I don't think the game has a plot at all - it's just somewhat of an excuse to string a few fights together.

Hopefully the sequel will attempt to amend that.

I think I might have to go with that. I spent a little while trying to tie-up the current plotlines up from this story and there was like no way everything tied up correctly. Honestly it was a massive head-ache.

I really do enjoy Polygon Man as the boss though. I hope that despite the negativity of him as the boss that they'll still keep him. Hopefully they'll just make the final battle a little better.. 

Message 5 of 16 (472 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1054 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Agreed! I hope to see a real storyline in the sequel.

Polygon man in fact were scrapped and replaced by characters like Parappa,the beloved Crash Bandicoot and Sofia from Battle Arena Toshinden.I can see a sequel whit Polygon Man benting to have his revenge towards Parappa,Sofia (she could be unlocked by beating the main storyline) and...uh, Crash (?) and all the other mascot.

I think it fit better rather than...uuh...All the character (in somehow) discovers about this sort of power and they go to find it.Tha-That's all F-folks!

firma.PNG

Message 6 of 16 (452 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

here's something I found a while back that might help explain a few things.

"Kendall stressed that the story in All-Stars should be loose and act as an excuse for these characters to come together. But it shouldn’t be construed as canon. He “didn’t want a big, sort of heavy story that was going to feel really arbitrary and cheesy and kind of pull the players out. Because these characters… come from these really rich worlds already, and I knew that this game wasn’t going to serve to paint the sort of official storylines of these individual characters. I knew it was going to be something that they experience together mutually, in some ways exclusively, and then go back to their worlds. You’re really not going to see their experiences in PlayStation All-Stars reflected in God of War IV or God of War V.”

Yet, citing the famous Michael ad (seen below), Kendall admits that “all of these characters live inside this shared space,” later noting that “we thought it would be really cool if we, as opposed to trying really hard to create this fiction and explain why Kratos and Sackboy are in the same world together, just sort of casually acknowledge the fact that this world is living inside of your PlayStation."

It’s that very notion – the world living inside of your PlayStation – that influenced the team to put Polygon Man in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale as the final boss."

here's where I got it from in case you want to read the full article/check for validity Smiley Tongue

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/polygon-man-playstation-all-stars-final-boss

EDIT:

This quote from the same article is also worth posting:

“When we were thinking about a boss for PlayStation All-Stars, we asked ourselves ‘what was the ultimate manifestation of PlayStation?’ And for us, it was Polygon Man. If you could look at some of the original material that Polygon Man appeared in, he makes these crazy statements, these sort of almost nonsensical statements, like ‘power is an illusion’, ‘absolute power is a seamless illusion’. These really weird, grandiose statements. He doesn’t really come off as a bad guy, but he comes off as kind of this representative of power, the power and potential and what PlayStation represents. So we thought it would be really cool if at the center of this shared universe all of these PlayStation characters inhabit was Polygon Man, waiting as the ultimate challenge for this world.”

Kendall went on. “If you look at the rivalry cutscene, it takes place in this kind of blue polygonal space. That, for us, is kind of the PlayStation universe at its base. You’ll see the XMB power waves flying in the background, you’ll see the PlayStation shapes flying around in the background. That’s kind of like the PlayStation landscape stripped bare to its essence… You see that space transition into the purple Polygon Man colors, and for us, Polygon Man is made of the same stuff, I guess, as the essence of the PlayStation universe""

Message 7 of 16 (390 Views)
Splicer
38 posts

Feb 4, 2013
Nice reply.

I think it is worth nothing that Polygon Man does indeed convert those he defeats to be his minions.
Message 8 of 16 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Feb 4, 2013

The master hand was better than  Polygon imo.

Message 9 of 16 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Feb 4, 2013
Better boss fight ? Yes. Better boss ? They go hand in hand. Polygonman has the advantage of actually having some history, rather then simply being created for the series.
Message 10 of 16 (301 Views)
0 Likes