Oct 20 2012
By: Le_Froglet Hekseville Citizen 252 posts

Playstation All-Stars BETA Review (Former SSB player)

[ Edited ]
16 replies 533 views Edited Oct 20, 2012

I'll just get to it.

Graphics:

No complaints here at all, the game looks beautiful.

Sound:

Sounds great.

Gameplay:

First off as a former ex pro in Britain for a brief while in SSBM and a long time SSB fan I was weary about this game when first seeing it and like alot of other SSB fanboys was saying it's a "rip-off" etc and so on, but after playing the BETA these past couple of days all I can say is it has the fundamentals of the SSB series and takes them in a new direction. The direction is a good one Smiley Very Happy, I think the game is extremely fun to play always a joy playing it, the game feels smooth the characters are well balanced for the majority speaking. The fact of only killing with supers at first had me abit in doubt but it works reall well in all honesty.

Now for some crit, when I was saying about balanced for the majority I only have one problem, and that is Kratos automatic hook attack..that's it...i just think it shouldn't be automatic to grab the character where ever they are, if you want to grab someone who's above you jump and then do it.

Also I believe the game needs more pace, Super Bot is always saying they want this in the competitive fighting scene and for that I think more pace and fluidity needs to be added and also spot dodging is a must in my opinion, and also when you do short jumps you should be able to fast fall them by pressing down, the characters seem to floaty and for pace and exitement watching a match say at EVO you want some speed etc.

Bugs:

- In online FFA characters often dissapear when playing only leaving there weapons visible.

- In online FFA when in what supposed to be a 1v1v1v1, sometimes I only see one or two other players.

- In online 2v2 when you select a character and then go into a match, sometimes your characters is changed to someone else for some unexplained reason out of 6 matcheswhen I picked Fat Princess, in one i was Radec and another Parrapa.

Overall though, great and can;t wait for release.

Cheers.

"All those moments will be lost..in time...like tears in rain"
Message 1 of 17 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Re: Playstation All-Stars BETA Review (Former SSB player)

Oct 20, 2012
QUICK!! WHICH GAME IS BETTER MELEE OR BRAWL?

Message 2 of 17 (525 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
252 posts

Oct 20, 2012

Melee by a milestone.

Message 3 of 17 (518 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Oct 20, 2012
This guy checks out

Message 4 of 17 (508 Views)
Fender Bender
4120 posts

Oct 20, 2012

Le_Froglet wrote:

I'll just get to it.

Graphics:

No complaints here at all, the game looks beautiful.

Sound:

Sounds great.

Gameplay:

First off as a former ex pro in Britain for a brief while in SSBM and a long time SSB fan I was weary about this game when first seeing it and like alot of other SSB fanboys was saying it's a "rip-off" etc and so on, but after playing the BETA these past couple of days all I can say is it has the fundamentals of the SSB series and takes them in a new direction. The direction is a good one Smiley Very Happy, I think the game is extremely fun to play always a joy playing it, the game feels smooth the characters are well balanced for the majority speaking. The fact of only killing with supers at first had me abit in doubt but it works reall well in all honesty.

Now for some crit, when I was saying about balanced for the majority I only have one problem, and that is Kratos automatic hook attack..that's it...i just think it shouldn't be automatic to grab the character where ever they are, if you want to grab someone who's above you jump and then do it.

Also I believe the game needs more pace, Super Bot is always saying they want this in the competitive fighting scene and for that I think more pace and fluidity needs to be added and also spot dodging is a must in my opinion, and also when you do short jumps you should be able to fast fall them by pressing down, the characters seem to floaty and for pace and exitement watching a match say at EVO you want some speed etc.

Overall though, great and can;t wait for release.

Cheers.

I agree with kratos's hooks, his level 3 circle  behaves similarly with the freaking auto aim. Its completely broken. I also agree that a fast fall by holding down would be nice

Message 5 of 17 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Oct 20, 2012

By spot dodging do you mean dodging while staying in place?  If so then you can do that by pressing down.  I could be wrong but I don't see how it's needed when you have unlimited blocking unlike in Smash where you have a limit.

Message 6 of 17 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Oct 20, 2012

I really think he's hooks could be better if they just gave him a longer wind up. As it is now he just throws them forward instantly. If they made the animation him having to whip them back then forwards it'd make it easier to dodge but still let it be a good move, it just takes timing.

Message 7 of 17 (468 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
252 posts

Oct 20, 2012

About the spot dodging yes indeed my friend, just pressing down I just believe it will add abit more "Sazz" into it, another way to dodge lvl1's and when someone jumps it at you dodge in place then your straight on the offence really fast or when somone is attacking you block the first but spot dodge the second giving you advantage frames instead of being in a block stun state.

Fat Princess is my favourite, she's got such a good game..although she does look like Princess Peach after Mario's gave her the boot..sitting there all depressed munching away.

Message 8 of 17 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
252 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2012

Ah Forgot one thing,

- Radec's long range sniper needs less knockback. When you get hit in the air you go from the middle all the way to the wall i think it's abit too much.

Message 9 of 17 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
252 posts

Oct 20, 2012

Bump.

Message 10 of 17 (373 Views)
0 Likes