Nov 25 2012
By: ItsLuigiTime Uncharted Territory 1087 posts

Platforming

4 replies 120 views Edited Nov 25, 2012

While I love this game to death and I know it isn't right to compare it to Smash, I still feel there's something lacking in PSASBR that Smash had:  platform-centric challenges.

The very genre that Smash pioneered in 1999 is basically a cross between a fighting game and a platformer, and I liked how the original Super Smash Bros.'s story mode had little breaks that tested your movement with challenges like "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platforms."  Super Smash Bros. Brawl then took it to the next level by introducing the Subspace Emissary, which was essentially an entire platforming game all on its own.

So far I love the emphasis PSASBR puts on fighting and combos, but part of me wishes it would embrace its platforming side a little more as well.  Remember that part of the tutorial where you use PaRappa's double-jump to get onto a higher ledge?  I wish there were whole challenges based on that.  The only stage that really takes advantage of this is Alden's Tower, where you have to jump on different platforms to keep up with the scrolling.

I'm not saying this game has to copy Smash in that respect, but maybe introduce some platforming challenges similar to the Target Test that reinvent it like they've done with the fighting mechanic.  Maybe even put them into the Arcade mode to mix it up a bit so it isn't only fights?  Either way, you get the idea.

Do you guys agree?

Message 1 of 5 (120 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Re: Platforming

Nov 25, 2012
I feel like anything they could do would be too easy for this game's characters.

Furthermore, Drake would be too good at platforming.
------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 2 of 5 (115 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1226 posts

Nov 25, 2012
Any form of side content would be good honestly, its really lame the game offers nothing but straight up fights.
Message 3 of 5 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Nov 25, 2012

I believe in trials there is something like this.  you use fat princess and you have to jump around and get 50 pieces of cake while basically in a match.  it's in that stage w the elevator thing.  yes standard match time limit is there

Message 4 of 5 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Nov 25, 2012

ItsLuigiTime wrote:

While I love this game to death and I know it isn't right to compare it to Smash, I still feel there's something lacking in PSASBR that Smash had:  platform-centric challenges.

The very genre that Smash pioneered in 1999 is basically a cross between a fighting game and a platformer, and I liked how the original Super Smash Bros.'s story mode had little breaks that tested your movement with challenges like "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platforms."  Super Smash Bros. Brawl then took it to the next level by introducing the Subspace Emissary, which was essentially an entire platforming game all on its own.

So far I love the emphasis PSASBR puts on fighting and combos, but part of me wishes it would embrace its platforming side a little more as well.  Remember that part of the tutorial where you use PaRappa's double-jump to get onto a higher ledge?  I wish there were whole challenges based on that.  The only stage that really takes advantage of this is Alden's Tower, where you have to jump on different platforms to keep up with the scrolling.

I'm not saying this game has to copy Smash in that respect, but maybe introduce some platforming challenges similar to the Target Test that reinvent it like they've done with the fighting mechanic.  Maybe even put them into the Arcade mode to mix it up a bit so it isn't only fights?  Either way, you get the idea.

Do you guys agree?

Yes, I fully agree I loved platformers when I was a kid and I still do. I suppose this could be implemented in DLC stages?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 5 (74 Views)
0 Likes