Highlighted
Oct 26 2012
By: TalarioSpada Splicer 42 posts

PaRappa Strategy Guide (Taking Suggestions)

31 replies 714 views Edited Oct 26, 2012

Hopefully this info isn't irrelavent by the time the actual game is released. Either way, here is some info I was able to put together about PaRappa that may be helpful for some of you out there.

Parappa the Rapper: Strategies

-Forward Triangle is extremely useful as a jump-in. It's got a large hitbox. Also it pops up the opponent leaving them in a comboable state, right in front of him. At this point there are a number of ways to complete the combo. Parappa can decide to spam square into the fly away combo. You can also go into his uppercut combo (U+S, C, S, S).

-When just outside of melee range you're best moves will be Forward-Circle and Neutral Circle. F-C will put the opponent in a stun. If done quickly enough your Neutral Circle will combo and can lead into a full maxed out combo.

-In a situation where the opponent(s) is trying to land safely, throwing out an Up-Circle (Boombox Attack) can gain a quick 30 AP and repel them away.

Level 1 - Romantic Karate

This is one of the most difficult level 1 in the game. Initially it was believed that his Neutral Circle (Yo-Yo Mic) would stun them long enough to pull of the level 1 before recovery. After a lot of testing in beta, it's still unsure if this works. My best guess is that the opponent does recover soon enough to get out of the danger zone of this super. Since this super goes up and to the left/right it will mostly be used on airborne opponents. It's also possible to catch more than one character in this level 1 super, though it is a challenge. The best rule of thumb is, if you're sure you can get that level 1 and kill at least 2 opponents, then use it. 

Level 2 - Skater Boy

This is the super I aim for no matter what kind of match (2v2 or FFA). Firstly, it has a really fast start up, it also moves quickly, and it's also almost impossible to avoid. It's a guaranteed 2-3 kills per use. The goal of the PaRappa user should be to gain 2 level 2's in the match and scrounge for kills with level 1. Keep in mind, and opponent with decent reaction time can block-dodge and air-dodge this all day. The best way to make sure you get the kill is to try to stay on top of them. Eventually their invincibility will drop and it will hit.

Level 3 - Doom Box ft. PaRappa

I've contemplated the use of this super since I was granted access to the Beta. As of right now, it seems to be almost useless. The reason it's useless is that it nets you 2-3 guaranteed kills, which is the same amount of kills a level 2 will net you, and it costs almost 2 times as much since you have to work up to level 3. Honestly, it's best to just avoid this special altogether, unless of course you accidentally get to level 3 really quickly. In which case, have fun.

Message 1 of 32 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Re: PaRappa Strategy Guide (Taking Suggestions)

Oct 26, 2012

One good trick to land His level 1 is to use his Mic grab to pull the enemy towards him, then that will give you enough time to hit them with your lvl 1 Smiley Wink Instant kill!

dante photo dante2.png
Message 2 of 32 (710 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2718 posts

Oct 26, 2012
i dont get why people say his level 3 is useless.
When people learn how to dodge the skateboard, you'll have to rely on level 3 for garaunteed kills.
ハマり度MAX!!
Message 3 of 32 (706 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Oct 26, 2012
My advice to Parappa users is kick, kick! Punch jump pose!
Message 4 of 32 (706 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 26, 2012

Take advantage of Kratos' dependence on medium range by dodging towards him, through his reach. Hit him with S, D+S, U+S (hold) and finish with the S, S or T. It's a nice combo that'll have the Kratos players scratching their heads in disbelief.

Edit: you can also use O before the finisher to add an extra 5 AP, but be aware that if you do this they can double jump out of it.

The full version of that combo generates 90 AP but I don't recommend using it on Kratos as his blades have the same range as your mic and he'll always beat you to the punch.

The full version is: O, S, D+S, U+S (hold), O, S, S. It's a really easy combo and can get your first level 1 pretty much right off the bat. It's best used against with shorter range (Sweet Tooth) or poor short range attacks (Radec).

Message 5 of 32 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Oct 26, 2012
I've had the mic grab in to level 1 work 60% of the time I'd say

Message 6 of 32 (694 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Oct 26, 2012

I like fowrord circle then forward triangle or forward circle yp circle forwatd triangle.  when it comes to supers i stick to his level 1 but try to get 2...forward circle and R2...they usually recover quivk enough to jump but for the mos part the super gets them along w anyone jumping in he way or tryuing to jump out of the way

Message 7 of 32 (681 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Oct 26, 2012

You're completely wrong, bud

stargateheaven wrote:
When people learn how to dodge the skateboard, you'll have to rely on level 3 for garaunteed kills.

Like I wrote in the guide, it's very easy to beat the dodge. And with the skateboard you can net more than just 3 if someone is impatient enough to press a button right after respawn. 

Besides, saving up to a level 3 takes too long. I can get 2 level 2's before you can get one level 3. I promise. 

Message 8 of 32 (674 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Oct 26, 2012

TalarioSpada wrote:

You're completely wrong, bud

stargateheaven wrote:

Like I wrote in the guide, it's very easy to beat the dodge. And with the skateboard you can net more than just 3 if someone is impatient enough to press a button right after respawn. 

Besides, saving up to a level 3 takes too long. I can get 2 level 2's before you can get one level 3. I promise. 

have you noticed they fixed down circle?  i use it when people crowd together but getting to level 3 is much easier than it was

Message 9 of 32 (664 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Oct 26, 2012

I don't usually try using D+O unless the other 3 guys are really pre-occupied in the corner. Most of the time you'll get more AP by just jumping into the fray.

Message 10 of 32 (656 Views)
0 Likes