Feb 28 2013
By: Digidevil4 I Only Post Everything 955 posts

PSASBR - James Grayson (Resistance) Moveset.

[ Edited ]
8 replies 221 views Edited Feb 28, 2013

This is my third moveset that I plan to publish to my blog tommorow, I figured I would post it here first to see what you guys think.

For those of you who dont know who James Grayson is he is the protagonist of the Portable Resistance title made by Bend studios (They also made golden abyss). Why do I think he is better tha nathan hale and Capelle? Well he is the only third person rep and he actually has a personallty that offers humor and develops over the course of the story. Please dont post your deadalus or chimera movesets here, because Ive read them and you have your own threads to discuss them.

James Grayson

Core Character Aspects

As always we start by looking at the basic aspects that will eventually help us create the moveset.

• >Resistance is all about the weapons, we need to represent a diverse arsenal
  • >Grayson has a strong personality that needs to be properly portrayed.

This being all about the weapons lets list which ones are used in the retribution game.

• >.303 Storm Rifle - Human rifle capable of firing grenades
  • >Auger-FS - Chimeran rifle with bullets that can tunnel through obstables, also capable of firing portable shields.
  • >Fareye FR-1 - Human sniper rifle capable of slowing down time to increase accuracy.
  • >IWAO-R Chaingun - Human Chaingun with added shield preventing damage from infront.
  • >L-206 LAARK - Rocket Launcher
  • >Longbow 1S-1K - Railgun capable of 1 shot kills.
  • >Plasma Grenade - Sticky Grenade
  • >Schrotflinte .12 Guage - Human Shotgun capable of firing 1 or 2 shots at a time
  • >Razor - Variant of the Bullseye that can charge up for multi-hit shots.
  • >HE .44 Magnum - A revolver capable of firing rounds that can be detonated by a user.
  • >RM-3 Knuckle-Duster - A knife used by Grayson during certain melee attacks

So there we already have the potential for a very diverse moveset rivaling that of characters like Ratchet, Jak and Radec. Moving on from that here is the basis for my moveset.

• >Grayson is a character based on utility.
  • >Grayson is most effective at mid to long range with limited zoning ability.
  • >Grayson takes some moves from the more popular main series for the sake of popularity.
  • >Grayson is very vocal during a fight.

Moveset(g = Ground, a = Air)

1. >(g,a) Neutral Square - Weapon Strike (Grayson Strikes the target with his weapon, the animation, power and speed of the attack is dependent on the weapon he is holding) - This move can be used up to 3 times in succession to string a decent AP combo. With heavy weapons it is very unsafe.
  2. >(g,a)Up Square - RM-3 Knuckle-Duster Up-Slash (Grayson hits enemies above him with a knife slash.) - This attack is relatively weak but sets up enemies for a quick diagonal projectile.
  3. >(g,a)Down Square - Punch-Out (Grayson violently punches an enemies in-front of him into the ground whiting them out.)
  4. >(g,a) Forward Square - RM-3 Knuckle-Duster Slash (Grayson slashes at a enemy infront of him) - A single slash that will crumple grounded enemies, it may also lead into combos but will not be a viable confirm for his level 1. This counts as a weapon that can be used in Neutral Square.
  5. >(g,a) Neutral Triangle - Plasma Grenade (Grayson throws a plasma grenade in whatever direction the user indicates) - Similar to Good Cole's sticky Grenades
  6. >(g,a) Up Triangle - Fire Up (Grayson fires his current loadout diagonally Upward.)
  7. >(g,a) Down Triangle - Fire Down (Grayson fires his current loadout diagonally downward.)
  8. >(g,a) Forward Triangle - Fire Forward (Grayson fires his current loadout forward)
  9. >(g,a) Neutral Circle (Rifle not out) - .303 Storm Rifle (Grayson takes out his assault rifle) - This gun has a mild stopping power slightly weaker than Drakes AK-47, it fires in short bursts and has little delay between volleys.
  10. >(g,a) Neutral Circle (Rifle already out) - .303 Storm Rifle Alternate Fire (Grayson fires a frag grenade from his rifle) - The grenades fire in an upwards forward arc and detonate on contact with the floor or a player. Its explosive power is slightly bigger than that of Radecs grenade and only 3 can exist at any one time.
  11. >(g,a) Up Circle (Auger not out) - Advanced Auger-FS (Grayson takes out his Auger rifle) - This gun has a very strong stopping power but also a larger delay between shots, its bullets can also traverse through players after hitting them and obstacles such as walls and platforms.
  12. >(g,a) Up Circle (Auger already out) - Advanced Auger-FS Alternate Fire (Grayson uses his Auger to deploy a dome shield around him deflecting all incoming projectiles) - This shield will reflect all incoming projectiles fired by other players, this includes projectile super Level 1's. As a key component in Grayson's playstyle this move is not spammable, only one can exist at a time and a delay between spawns exists (further explained below)
  13. >(g,a) Down Circle (Longbow not out) - Longbow 1S-1K (Grayson takes out his Longbow rifle) - This weapon acts as a sort of crumple gun that has a very long delay between shots, a mid range ability and a crumple effect on hit enemies. An Air Down Triangle shot will confirm his level 1 similar to Nariko's confirm. This weapon is also chargeable  a fully charges shot will give the user more AP and cause a giga-punch like collapse effect. Hitting an enemy in the air will result in a knockback.
  14. >(g,a) Down Circle (Longbow already out) - Longbow 1S-1K Alternate Fire (Grayson charges his longbow into an powerful shot that can crumple multiple targets in a straight line, this attack can go through targets and stuns the player for a second after use) - A risky but powerful attack that if used properly can allow teammates to rush in and get multiple kills.
  15. >(g,a) Forward Circle (Bullseye not out) - Bullseye Mark II (Grayson takes out his Bullseye rifle.) - This weapon has the highest firing rate with very little stopping power,  it functions very similarly to Good Cole's bolt attack and with proper use can gain AP with little aggro building from other players.
  16. >(g,a) Forward Circle (Bullseye already out) - Bullseye Mark II Alternate Fire (Grayson launches a Bullseye Tag into an enemy in front, causing shots to home in after travelling a certain distance.) - These tags last for a certain amount of shots or until replaced, the shot itself acts similarly to Radecs Bolt shot and flashes to indicate which player is tagged. Once a player has their tag depleted they will be thrown off in an explosive blast, this is a major AP gainer for Grayson.
  17. >Up Throw - (Grayson headbutts the player and uppercuts them throwing them high into the air) - This links into a quick jump + Up Square or projectile shot.
  18. >Down Throw - (Grayson kicks the player in the balls and then jumps on their back whiteing them out on the floor, he rolls backward then gets up) - The AP they drop is conveniently dropped in the direction of his roll making this a very effective move for stopping players reaching level 3.
  19. >Forward Throw - (Grayson trips the player up and kicks them in the forward direction.) - Standard forward throw, may be useful for starting wall combos or super confirms.

Combos

As you may have guessed this is not a combo heavy moveset, he can do short square based combos but don't expect any mid screen AP bursts.

Alternate Fire

The key to mastering this character lies with his alternate fire skills. The transition between weapons is speedy which allows a player to mix up what they use and when. The most notable of the alternate fires of course is the shield, this plays a vital part in his defensive strategy as it allows him to reflect projectiles and to some extent certain supers. This may seem overpowered but the shield itself has a spawn timer of around 15 seconds and can be destroyed with a projectile move exceeding 30 AP. The shields health can be easily scoped based on how visible it is and only a fully charged shield will absorb a level 1 super, the activation of a level 2 or 3 super deactivates the shield and it is roughly large enough to house 2 players. Keep in mind that as in resistance the only gun to penetrate the shield is the auger itself, other bullets will deplete the shields help and be reflected.

Supers

Level 1 - L-206 LAARK (Grayson pulls out his LAARK.) - This basically counts as a special loadout that can only be fired once for a kill, it can be used for weapon strikes for powerful knockback attacks but this will not produce a kill. It also has a timer that can be seen in his AP bar. Think of it like Emmetts Rocket Launcher crossed with Radec's Level 1, it will only stay out as long as the bar is not empty (this can be prolonged but activating closer to Level 2).

Level 2 -IWAO-R Chaingun (Grayson pulls out his chaingun and deploys the frontward shield) - During this super Grayson can walk around at a slow pase and fire his chaingun, it is capable of changing angle relatively fast. As in resistance a frontward shield prevents damage being inflicted on the player from the front, other players cannot pass through this either. Shots from the chaingun penetrate platforms and are mid range, this is a devastating level 2 on small maps like Dojo and Rivals. He has a slightly delayed turnout that will allow players the ability to flank him with crafty counter-supers.

Level 3 - Fareye FR-1 Concentration Mode (Grayson pull out his Sniper rifle and enters concentration mode) - This is an off-screen super similar to Radec's, Ratchets and Slys. He can see players on the map through his rifle scope, during this time he can hold L1 to slow down the space within the scope for easy kills. He has a concentration bar that depletes over time which eventually ends the super.

Summary

This is a character who works best a mid range, his short range skill is somewhat lackluster making him an easy target for melee characters should they get close enough. His utility makes him alot like ratchet in that he does not string long combos but has the arsenal to make up for it. His lack of mobility is made up for through his stopping power and formidable mid range defenses. The bullseye is great for chasing down enemies and gaining Ap faster while his other weapons like the longbow can cause series damage to unsuspecting enemies. His biggest weakness lies in a players inability to apply weapons situationally and keep other players at range.

I Apologize for bad formating but these forums love to mess up my Lists.

Check out my [Moveset Creation Guide] ,my [PSASBR Wishlist]
...and my Movesets!

Message 1 of 9 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Re: PSASBR - James Grayson (Resistance) Moveset.

Feb 28, 2013
I'll be completely honest, I never played resistance Retribution but ill say this.....I played the other 3 and played them to death. I feel capelli or hale have a better chance than him.

Chimera personally would be the ideal choice for me. Having another human sized character added to the roster ( Isaac Clarke) I feel it would be too repetitive and move sets would collide with other human characters already.

If you were to have a chimera, you could think outside the box, maybe part of his moveset could be calling in other chimeras? Grayjacks, leaders or furys.

Imagine the possibility for level 3. Could call in a Titan with one of those huge bazookas. More diversity can be added with chimera IMO.
Message 2 of 9 (204 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Feb 28, 2013
Leapers*
Message 3 of 9 (203 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

So what? A summoning character? Chimera don't summon each other.. That's inconsistent.

...and my Movesets!

Message 4 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

Feb 28, 2013

The full version of this is now up on my blog, Im still hoping for some commentary that isnt to do with wanting another rep. If you bother to read the moveset you will see this is not just another shooting character.

http://harpwn.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/psasbr-james-grayson-moveset/

...and my Movesets!

Message 5 of 9 (156 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

Mar 4, 2013

Shamless bump of self promotion, Ive been banned for the past 3 days so I couldnt post earlier.

...and my Movesets!

Message 6 of 9 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Mar 4, 2013

Digidevil4 wrote:

So what? A summoning character? Chimera don't summon each other.. That's inconsistent.

does spike summon apes? no, does fat princess even do anything?no, creativity its a plus on games like this and ssb since they need to be creative so a chimera summoning other chimera races would be preety sweet imo , if resistance gets a rep wich is unlickely at this point since even a chimera minion is on the game it will either be nathan hale or a chimera i doubt  james even has a chance at all.

Message 7 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

Mar 6, 2013

TBH if u bother to read the moveset its perfectly adapatable to any resistance rep.

Ive read the chimera moveset and to me it just doesnt seem realistic.

...and my Movesets!

Message 8 of 9 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2013

Colton360 wrote:
If you were to have a chimera, you could think outside the box, maybe part of his moveset could be calling in other chimeras? Grayjacks, leaders or furys.

Imagine the possibility for level 3. Could call in a Titan with one of those huge bazookas. More diversity can be added with chimera IMO.

That's basically what I did with my Daedalus move-set.

I'm pretty much against a generic Chimera being the rep, especially now that he's a minion. But if he's employed in someone else's move-set, then that works out great.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 9 of 9 (96 Views)
0 Likes