Dec 25 2012
By: RaiXku Survivor 2179 posts

PSASBR: Frustrating, but still fun

17 replies 291 views Edited Dec 25, 2012

Now first of all, I'm not one to make threads alot. In total across all forums, I believe I have less than 10 threads made. But don't quote me on that. The reason why I don't make many threads is because I'm too afraid of the community. Yes, I'm afraid of you people. The amount of importance that your typed words have on me is extremely heavy. I've always been a bit sensitive to verbal abuse anyway. But thats besides the point of this post. I made this thread after a session of matches with one of my pals, Derp (Shortened version of his ID). Our matches prompted me to just express my thoughts on this game. Not like a review, but more of an analysis of how the game is so far. This post should cover all and any things I care about regarding this game. Also, stick with this text wall, because I'm sure you'll find it a decent read. Lets begin...

So heres a little anecdote for you. Today, I was playing my usual playlist (2v2 unranked) and it was just.... idk how to say it. Not only were there tons of high levels left and right, but people were kill confirm spamming, spamming in general, and just being plain awful. That made me think a couple things. Is winning all people care about? Why do I still play this? Usually I'm not a victim of most of the things people complain about here. Because of that, I didn't show too much agreement towards rage threads/nerf threads, etc. However that was just my luck, and today all that luck went bad. I experienced just about every issue this game has gameplay wise today. So at this point if your still reading, no this is not a rage thread, its more of an expression thread. I'm doing it as calmly as I can, without sounding whiny. Also remember, I'm no expert poster so my posts will have tons of flaws and such. Regarding the other questions I had, what do you think?

I noticed that no matter what, people just do anything it takes to win. Use whatever characters and cheap things it takes to win. Why is this? Because most people are casual players who don't take this game seriously, is my guess. Even some of us forumers are competitive, but at least most of us remember how to have fun. It is part of the human nature to want to win, so that only drives people to want to win even more. I understand that, but nobody I play seems to get that winning isn't everything. Especially in a video game. Will being top ranked in this game do anything useful for you? More than likely not, so why try so hard to win? I'm not saying that being extremely competitive is a bad thing, just saying that it shouldn't be your only personailty. And doing whatever it takes to win, is just ridiculous. There has to be some line somewhere inbetween where you learn, "hey maybe I'm taking this too far". I imagine when randoms choose their characters they think "who here is the easiest to use" or "I see tons of people winning with this guy, let me try what they were doing". While that isn't true, I just think they seem to believe in that criteria when it comes to choosing. The few that don't use the overused characters just find cheap tactics and strategies with the non overuseed characters that then make them overused. The worst part of all this is that I don't think a single one of them thinks that the things they are doing are wrong in any way. They more than likely don't think that they are exploiting this game's flaws for their own personal desire to win. That goes for all things in this game that just annoy people or are just not vaild tactics for the most part (spamming, kill confirms, camping).

I had a second question as well. Why do I still play this game? The answer is in the title. Its frustrating, but fun. To expand and  elaborate on that, I can give reasons for that. No matter how many losses I have (tons, lol) I still play on. I think I'm somewhat convinced I'll catch a break eventually and that things can get better. I also have these crazy thoughts. Or ideas. I actually have an idea that can be used positively, but also negatively. I'll talk about it later. If I played something like Call of Duty, I would just not have fun no matter how good or bad I was because I despise that game and never have seen how people find it fun. But I've seen the fun PSASBR could bring. That shred of hope I have that the match I'm about to have will be a blast is always gonna be within me. It dies a little sometimes (like today), but overall it is still apart of me. Those are the only two things really that drive me to play this game still besides my friends and this community. Knowing there are people who still have faith and care about a game will keep me playing it as long as I can. 

At one point, I'll be entirely over it. I'll be over the spammers, kill confirmers, and campers. But I'm not now, so any rage expressed in any thread just means I'm not at that point yet. While there will be no eternal cure for this game's plague, I'll still be its life support until I have to give it up. This thread was made when I was in a state of calmness, concern, and many other emotions. Honestly, I only made this as a way of venting. As with all threads, your opinions on the post are welcome, whether it be negative or postive. 

Eariler, I said something about crazy ideas and things along the lines of that. Well, I have one of those. Good old fashion revolution. Now this thought I'm about to present, works for virtually any game with balance issues. I know we all find some things annoying or kinda hard to deal with, so I propose us as a team, try to stop these things. A thing I've learned about online gaming, is that nerfs and buffs don't solve problems, they just take away our highest prioritized problems and move a problem of lesser priority higher up on the list. So while I'm pretty much open to nerfs and buffs, I suggest we do something different. Now, this game is plagued with issues. And how do they start? One derpy person decides to find the cheapest

or most abusable gameplay exploit and just unleash it into the online world. Thus, the plague begins. And like wildfires, it spreads and spreads until every player and their entire family knows the trick. Now if thats how things get spread, then I want to spread something. Now every time you play a match (or every few matches), send a player who particularly was using an annoying strategy (spamming Kratos, Kill confirm Coles, etc) a message titled, "Not a rage message". Or give it no title at all, to make them want to read it even more. In your message I would like you to encourage them to do something different. If they were spamming, tell them to try a new character or combo or gameplay style. Also let them know that the choice is theirs to take your suggestion and your only doing this to help decrease the amount of cheap tactics or something that are going on in the game. Make them know your just trying to make PSASBR a much more enjoyable game for everybody who plays it. Do this in a calm way as well to make them know you mean no harm. Conclude the message by saying to send it to another player.  If they refuse to do so, say ok, and just  try another person until you find someone who is willing to do it. That last sentence is the most important. Thats whats going to trigger the revolution effect. By the end of this, my goal is to have their be more diverity among characters online (ranked and unranked), less spamming overall, and more challenging gameplay where skill actually means something. See, that sounds crazy, right? I know, but still, a guy can try. 

If you managed to read all of this, thank you for taking the time to do so. I only do this as a form of expression as mentioned in the beginning. I did it on the forums, because you would be the only people who can understand what I'm talking about. Also, most members here are quite wise and intelligent. We are some of the greatest minds of the PSASBR population, we can accomplish anything. Thanks to DerpGusta, Fredrick Fai, and any other of my friends for all the matches we played. Special thanks to Derp for inspiring me to make this thread. I think I'm about done here.

Btw, I'm not making a TL;DR since I can't really show off all my thoughts in a smaller post. Plus the title is somewhat like my TL;DR Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 18 (291 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1361 posts

Re: PSASBR: Frustrating, but still fun

Dec 25, 2012

RaiXku wrote:

Now first of all, I'm not one to make threads alot. In total across all forums, I believe I have less than 10 threads made. But don't quote me on that. The reason why I don't make many threads is because I'm too afraid of the community. Yes, I'm afraid of you people. The amount of importance that your typed words have on me is extremely heavy. I've always been a bit sensitive to verbal abuse anyway. But thats besides the point of this post. I made this thread after a session of matches with one of my pals, Derp (Shortened version of his ID). Our matches prompted me to just express my thoughts on this game. Not like a review, but more of an analysis of how the game is so far. This post should cover all and any things I care about regarding this game. Also, stick with this text wall, because I'm sure you'll find it a decent read. Lets begin...

So heres a little anecdote for you. Today, I was playing my usual playlist (2v2 unranked) and it was just.... idk how to say it. Not only were there tons of high levels left and right, but people were kill confirm spamming, spamming in general, and just being plain awful. That made me think a couple things. Is winning all people care about? Why do I still play this? Usually I'm not a victim of most of the things people complain about here. Because of that, I didn't show too much agreement towards rage threads/nerf threads, etc. However that was just my luck, and today all that luck went bad. I experienced just about every issue this game has gameplay wise today. So at this point if your still reading, no this is not a rage thread, its more of an expression thread. I'm doing it as calmly as I can, without sounding whiny. Also remember, I'm no expert poster so my posts will have tons of flaws and such. Regarding the other questions I had, what do you think?

I noticed that no matter what, people just do anything it takes to win. Use whatever characters and cheap things it takes to win. Why is this? Because most people are casual players who don't take this game seriously, is my guess. Even some of us forumers are competitive, but at least most of us remember how to have fun. It is part of the human nature to want to win, so that only drives people to want to win even more. I understand that, but nobody I play seems to get that winning isn't everything. Especially in a video game. Will being top ranked in this game do anything useful for you? More than likely not, so why try so hard to win? I'm not saying that being extremely competitive is a bad thing, just saying that it shouldn't be your only personailty. And doing whatever it takes to win, is just ridiculous. There has to be some line somewhere inbetween where you learn, "hey maybe I'm taking this too far". I imagine when randoms choose their characters they think "who here is the easiest to use" or "I see tons of people winning with this guy, let me try what they were doing". While that isn't true, I just think they seem to believe in that criteria when it comes to choosing. The few that don't use the overused characters just find cheap tactics and strategies with the non overuseed characters that then make them overused. The worst part of all this is that I don't think a single one of them thinks that the things they are doing are wrong in any way. They more than likely don't think that they are exploiting this game's flaws for their own personal desire to win. That goes for all things in this game that just annoy people or are just not vaild tactics for the most part (spamming, kill confirms, camping).

I had a second question as well. Why do I still play this game? The answer is in the title. Its frustrating, but fun. To expand and  elaborate on that, I can give reasons for that. No matter how many losses I have (tons, lol) I still play on. I think I'm somewhat convinced I'll catch a break eventually and that things can get better. I also have these crazy thoughts. Or ideas. I actually have an idea that can be used positively, but also negatively. I'll talk about it later. If I played something like Call of Duty, I would just not have fun no matter how good or bad I was because I despise that game and never have seen how people find it fun. But I've seen the fun PSASBR could bring. That shred of hope I have that the match I'm about to have will be a blast is always gonna be within me. It dies a little sometimes (like today), but overall it is still apart of me. Those are the only two things really that drive me to play this game still besides my friends and this community. Knowing there are people who still have faith and care about a game will keep me playing it as long as I can. 

At one point, I'll be entirely over it. I'll be over the spammers, kill confirmers, and campers. But I'm not now, so any rage expressed in any thread just means I'm not at that point yet. While there will be no eternal cure for this game's plague, I'll still be its life support until I have to give it up. This thread was made when I was in a state of calmness, concern, and many other emotions. Honestly, I only made this as a way of venting. As with all threads, your opinions on the post are welcome, whether it be negative or postive. 

Eariler, I said something about crazy ideas and things along the lines of that. Well, I have one of those. Good old fashion revolution. Now this thought I'm about to present, works for virtually any game with balance issues. I know we all find some things annoying or kinda hard to deal with, so I propose us as a team, try to stop these things. A thing I've learned about online gaming, is that nerfs and buffs don't solve problems, they just take away our highest prioritized problems and move a problem of lesser priority higher up on the list. So while I'm pretty much open to nerfs and buffs, I suggest we do something different. Now, this game is plagued with issues. And how do they start? One derpy person decides to find the cheapest

or most abusable gameplay exploit and just unleash it into the online world. Thus, the plague begins. And like wildfires, it spreads and spreads until every player and their entire family knows the trick. Now if thats how things get spread, then I want to spread something. Now every time you play a match (or every few matches), send a player who particularly was using an annoying strategy (spamming Kratos, Kill confirm Coles, etc) a message titled, "Not a rage message". Or give it no title at all, to make them want to read it even more. In your message I would like you to encourage them to do something different. If they were spamming, tell them to try a new character or combo or gameplay style. Also let them know that the choice is theirs to take your suggestion and your only doing this to help decrease the amount of cheap tactics or something that are going on in the game. Make them know your just trying to make PSASBR a much more enjoyable game for everybody who plays it. Do this in a calm way as well to make them know you mean no harm. Conclude the message by saying to send it to another player.  If they refuse to do so, say ok, and just  try another person until you find someone who is willing to do it. That last sentence is the most important. Thats whats going to trigger the revolution effect. By the end of this, my goal is to have their be more diverity among characters online (ranked and unranked), less spamming overall, and more challenging gameplay where skill actually means something. See, that sounds crazy, right? I know, but still, a guy can try. 

If you managed to read all of this, thank you for taking the time to do so. I only do this as a form of expression as mentioned in the beginning. I did it on the forums, because you would be the only people who can understand what I'm talking about. Also, most members here are quite wise and intelligent. We are some of the greatest minds of the PSASBR population, we can accomplish anything. Thanks to DerpGusta, Fredrick Fai, and any other of my friends for all the matches we played. Special thanks to Derp for inspiring me to make this thread. I think I'm about done here.

Btw, I'm not making a TL;DR since I can't really show off all my thoughts in a smaller post. Plus the title is somewhat like my TL;DR Smiley Tongue

woah

Message 2 of 18 (286 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Dec 25, 2012

Yeah, when I make a thread, its gonna be a wall of text. If you even read just one paragraph, you can get something out of it.

Message 3 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Dec 25, 2012
I don't think sending a message to people will change their play style. It will stroke their ego and make them think you're a raging, whining, sore loser. The best way to make someone change their tactics and play style is to make their play style not work anymore. That comes from 2 things: players adapting and developers nerfing. We can't control the developers, so we have to adapt. Find strategies that make spamming less effective. If we can't do that, then it's the developers job to step in and nerf/buff
Message 4 of 18 (259 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 25, 2012
I wouldn't call it frustrating, really. It's a fighting game, so this is common, something we have to accept, even. Though I have to agree with TrashCrap that sending a message won't really accomplish much. We have to overcome issues ourselves, because that's what we gamers are: Problem solvers. We can't directly fix a problem, so we have to show SuperBot that we can adapt so that they know that problem X is not something they straight-up have to nerf, but rather something they have to tweak to make slightly more accommodating to newer players.
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 5 of 18 (244 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Dec 25, 2012

TrashCrap wrote:
I don't think sending a message to people will change their play style. It will stroke their ego and make them think you're a raging, whining, sore loser. The best way to make someone change their tactics and play style is to make their play style not work anymore. That comes from 2 things: players adapting and developers nerfing. We can't control the developers, so we have to adapt. Find strategies that make spamming less effective. If we can't do that, then it's the developers job to step in and nerf/buff

As said in the OP, buffing and nerfing is a last resort that doesn't solve anything in reality, just kills off one problem and brings out another. And spamming is only stopped by blocking to be honest. Unless they spam supers, you can't stop spammers unless you block 24/7 which nobody can do in a match if they want any hope of suceeding. Characters with counters are good at stopping spam, but not every character has a counter. I more struggle with that. For example, I use Jak alot and I find it hard to fight a spamming Kratos since I can't counter too effectively. I think spamming can be stopped if they removed ridiculous mechanics like how people can grab you while you are rolling (seriously?). I also mentioned that there will be people who think that its a rage message. To avoid them thinking so, I advised that you should give them some notifiication that it isn't a rage message. I kinda wish you could send voice messages to people like on XBL, that would make things sooo much easier. Trust me, you would be thinking in a whole different way if you went through the matches I had to deal with today. 

Message 6 of 18 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Dec 25, 2012

RaiXku wrote:
Trust me, you would be thinking in a whole different way if you went through the matches I had to deal with today. 

I have had matches like the ones you have had. Trust me. And I still say, spammers can be beaten. I wouldn't even call it spam in some ways. I would call it using a good ability until someone proves they can stop it. Now some characters have certain advantages over others, and when those advantages are abused, it can seem OP. But that isn't the only matchup there is. I stand firm on asserting that the best way at discouraging "cheap spammers" is to find a way to beat their technique. We know that blocking and evading exist, we just need to be able to implement specific strategies with each characters. Some will have a harder time, but they have strengths to make up for it.

Message 7 of 18 (229 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Dec 25, 2012

TrashCrap wrote:

RaiXku wrote:
Trust me, you would be thinking in a whole different way if you went through the matches I had to deal with today. 

I have had matches like the ones you have had. Trust me. And I still say, spammers can be beaten. I wouldn't even call it spam in some ways. I would call it using a good ability until someone proves they can stop it. Now some characters have certain advantages over others, and when those advantages are abused, it can seem OP. But that isn't the only matchup there is. I stand firm on asserting that the best way at discouraging "cheap spammers" is to find a way to beat their technique. We know that blocking and evading exist, we just need to be able to implement specific strategies with each characters. Some will have a harder time, but they have strengths to make up for it.

Trash, your unique, thats all I can say. Each of your posts is.. different, in the good way Smiley Happy But this is the forums, so I do have the right to disagree. I'm not even that good anyway... if I had a KDR it would probably be like 1.5 or something low like that. I guess I'll just keep trying. Someday, I will find a way to beat the very derpy, spammer. But as I said, this thread is somewhat made for venting. I felt like expressing a few thoughts and thats all this thread is good for. Most of the opinions stated are my truthful opinions though. Honestly, I'm not a fan of discussion like this since I end up looking stupid by the end of it all. So lets leave it at a neutral standpoint and let this thread die out, agreed?

Message 8 of 18 (223 Views)
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Dec 25, 2012
This is how I feel 100%. I've mastered Dante to the fullest but I can't even enjoy the fights I get into because kill confirm spam
Message 9 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Dec 25, 2012

RaiXku wrote:
Most of the opinions stated are my truthful opinions though. Honestly, I'm not a fan of discussion like this since I end up looking stupid by the end of it all. So lets leave it at a neutral standpoint and let this thread die out, agreed?

I completely understand your opinions. And I respect the fact that you disagree with mine while remaining civil. I assure you, you don't look stupid just because you aren't as good at arguing as the next guy. You have the right to your opinion just like everyone else. Good luck in your matches bud

Message 10 of 18 (211 Views)