Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Re: PSABR??? I dont think so......

Oct 7, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

I agree, the roster doesn't suck though. It's just disappointing, a lot less than expected, simple as that. It has some incredibly awesome characters (Jak & Daxter, Sir Dan, Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Spike, Nathan Drake...). The fact that there are some dumb choices (Donte, Nariko, Evil Cole mostly) wouldn't be a problem if the most important were in (the usuals Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft ecc). Brawl has some dumb characters too, but there's no absence of the most important ones. That's why the roster is awesome.

Now people here can't accept that PSABR has half-failed, obviously. It's the official forum. So, suddenly, Crash is not anymore a Playstation All-Stars (but Fat Princess is, Big Daddy is...). It's called fanboysm and there's no cure.

While I may not agree with this opinion entirely, this is the first time I've seen disappointment in this game expressed in a way that didn't seem childish (apart from the fanboys comment at the end, but I'll let that slide), so kudos for that.

The main thing I would argue is characters like Crash and Lara Croft being more important than Jak & Daxter and such. I would LOVE Lara to be in, since TR was one of my first PS games, but I honestly didn't expect her to be in. Only characters I really expected and would be baffled if they weren't in...are all in (except maybe a Team Ico rep). Not denying the importance of Crash, Lara, Cloud, etc, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're the PlayStation's MOST important characters since they're not even Sony's. (Also, Crash hasn't been relevant to PS since 1999, a fact many people seem to miss)

Major first party franchises come first, let's be honest, and any issues with third parties should be taken up with the IP holders in my opinion.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Spike
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 56 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1659 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Bobthepetferret wrote:

RexLozuresky wrote:

I agree, the roster doesn't suck though. It's just disappointing, a lot less than expected, simple as that. It has some incredibly awesome characters (Jak & Daxter, Sir Dan, Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Spike, Nathan Drake...). The fact that there are some dumb choices (Donte, Nariko, Evil Cole mostly) wouldn't be a problem if the most important were in (the usuals Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft ecc). Brawl has some dumb characters too, but there's no absence of the most important ones. That's why the roster is awesome.

Now people here can't accept that PSABR has half-failed, obviously. It's the official forum. So, suddenly, Crash is not anymore a Playstation All-Stars (but Fat Princess is, Big Daddy is...). It's called fanboysm and there's no cure.

While I may not agree with this opinion entirely, this is the first time I've seen disappointment in this game expressed in a way that didn't seem childish (apart from the fanboys comment at the end, but I'll let that slide), so kudos for that.

The main thing I would argue is characters like Crash and Lara Croft being more important than Jak & Daxter and such. I would LOVE Lara to be in, since TR was one of my first PS games, but I honestly didn't expect her to be in. Only characters I really expected and would be baffled if they weren't in...are all in (except maybe a Team Ico rep). Not denying the importance of Crash, Lara, Cloud, etc, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're the PlayStation's MOST important characters since they're not even Sony's. (Also, Crash hasn't been relevant to PS since 1999, a fact many people seem to miss)

Major first party franchises come first, let's be honest, and any issues with third parties should be taken up with the IP holders in my opinion.

Well then let's say that the Playstation One's part of the roster is disappointing. Sir Dan and Spike are probably the best of those, followed by Parappa. But seriously PS1 was Crash, Spyro and Lara. You can't deny that.

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 56 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 7, 2012
I'm not saying lets completely believe SuperBot and Omar's comments, but we already know some of these iconic characters aren't in because the IP holders don't want them in e.g. Crystal Dynamics tweet on Lara Crofts inclusion. However of course I'm willing to defend the game, because I don't see character count as enough of a reason to call the game a disappointment. It's a fun game, I've had a lot of fun playing the beta with friends, and have already had atleast a dozen hours out of the beta alone with only 6 characters and one game mode. It's a great game, yet all that gets overshadowed by character talk. You can only be disappointed if it doesn't meet your expectations, so lower them, see the game for what it is and judge it once you've actually played the final product.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 56 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1659 posts

Oct 7, 2012

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
I'm not saying lets completely believe SuperBot and Omar's comments, but we already know some of these iconic characters aren't in because the IP holders don't want them in e.g. Crystal Dynamics tweet on Lara Crofts inclusion. However of course I'm willing to defend the game, because I don't see character count as enough of a reason to call the game a disappointment. It's a fun game, I've had a lot of fun playing the beta with friends, and have already had atleast a dozen hours out of the beta alone with only 6 characters and one game mode. It's a great game, yet all that gets overshadowed by character talk. You can only be disappointed if it doesn't meet your expectations, so lower them, see the game for what it is and judge it once you've actually played the final product.

How can you don't consider the roster of a game called Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale? How can you don't consider the roster when Omar himself says that he considers the game as a "celebration of Playstation history"? It's obvious that the gameplay it's the most important thing, as always in any game, but in this case the characters come straight after it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 56 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 7, 2012
I agree with you, and I'm not saying the characters aren't important, but we've got the essential first party characters all there. As far as fan expectation goes, I think everyone expected the first party roster as is. As far as celebrating the rich Playstation history goes, I believe they done that. The third party characters may not be all that we wanted or al that deserve to have made it in, but the quote 'it takes two to tango' holds true here. If the IP holders won't let them, there's not much we can do about it. It's not like SuperBot purposefully left out these characters.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 56 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Oct 7, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

Bobthepetferret wrote:

RexLozuresky wrote:

Well then let's say that the Playstation One's part of the roster is disappointing. Sir Dan and Spike are probably the best of those, followed by Parappa. But seriously PS1 was Crash, Spyro and Lara. You can't deny that.

The PS1's part of the roster was fine. Crash was indeed the face of the PS1, but he was never Sony's to begin with, so what can you do if Activision say no? Meanwhile, having three well-loved clasic Sony characters (Parappa, Spike, Sir Dan), the mascot of the PS in Japan, the face of the oldest PlayStation franchise (Sweet Tooth) and the key villain from one of the PS1's biggest franchises (Tekken comes just behind Crash and TR in sales, you know) is not a poor PS1 roster.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Spike
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 56 (53 Views)
0 Likes