Fender Bender
3716 posts

Re: Online Pass Dilemma

Sep 16, 2012

i'm still gonna buy this,

although i have to becareful on not buying the wrong region.....

Play For Fun!
Message 31 of 77 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2718 posts

Sep 16, 2012

zeothedeathgod wrote:

stargateheaven wrote:

zeothedeathgod wrote:

forest1903 wrote:

Why aren't we communicating to Sony that the online pass is not acceptable? I think this alone more than shows that the online pass is simply more trouble than it is worth.

because its a good idea to have it, as much as i love preowned games, companies lose money over that, online passes at least gets them some money from it. and you dont have to play online.

You've been brainwashed. "companies lose money" lol. stop being silly.

i havent been brainwashed. how dont they lose money? Think about it, if 100,000 people buy a game, but 900,000 people buy the game preowned, sure it sold a million copies, but you know what? They got the money from 100,000 copies. Online passes are great for the companies that work on games. Nobody is forcing you to play online, i prefer local co-op for any game anyways;o

Do you know what pre owned means? it means someone has bought it when it was new.

Companies don't "lose money"

they just lose POTENTIAL money.

so in your example, 1million people own the game, and 1million people bought the game.  what's the problem there? nothing.

example.

i buy Playstation all-stars battle royale. Sony get 1 sale from me. I sell it to my friend. I dont have the game anymore, so it's exactly as if my friend bought the game brand new. there is no difference!!

ハマり度MAX!!
Message 32 of 77 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 16, 2012

^In a sense, I agree, though companies do try to maximize their profits. The online pass is an example of that.

As I saw on a similar thread, someone had to buy the game new if it is now pre-owned, so there is no initial money lost, just money that could have been earned if it was bought new instead.

Message 33 of 77 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Actually if a friend buys it from you instead of new from a store than they loose that sale, 60 bucks lost

Message 34 of 77 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 16, 2012

stargateheaven wrote:

Do you know what pre owned means? it means someone has bought it when it was new.

Companies don't "lose money"

they just lose POTENTIAL money.

so in your example, 1million people own the game, and 1million people bought the game.  what's the problem there? nothing.

example.

i buy Playstation all-stars battle royale. Sony get 1 sale from me. I sell it to my friend. I dont have the game anymore, so it's exactly as if my friend bought the game brand new. there is no difference!!

Actually, they do lose money.  Remember that they have to keep all the players' data on their servers.  Say a game sells 1 million copies.  The publisher/developer then has to save the data for 1 million people.  People will trade it in, and others will then buy the used copy.  So now the publisher/developer has to keep all of the data stored on a server for1 million people + however many people get a hold of used copies.  With some games like BF3, all of a player's online data is saved online, so an online pass is essentially necessary for DICE to maintain funds to hold up the servers.

So for every player that buys it used, DICE is losing money on maintaining everything needed to keep the game running online (essentially 1 million people + 500,000 used copies off of the initial release + 250,000 more used copies off of those 500,000 that bought it used, and so on).

It's not as cut and dry as 1 million people own it, so the developer only has to maintain for 1 million players.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 35 of 77 (91 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
939 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Lets just hope there isn't an OP we don't need it
www.facebook.com/SonyTitleFight
 photo 893036_607240892638255_764515088_o1_zpsdc2e5a86.jpg
Message 36 of 77 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Well there's going to be one. Sony's already confirmed that every exclusive online game will have one.

I'd rather hope that people don't blame SuperBot for an online pass, but I know they will.
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 37 of 77 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1336 posts

Sep 16, 2012

Companies can also profit from preowned, for example when I got to the store and buy a new game I also look at preowned section and if there's a game that looks fun I will but it. And if it was good I will buy new games from the company when they release new games. I would have never played that game if it was new because I'm not sure if I should pay a big amount for something I won't enjoy. This happened to me when I bought saints row preowned ever since then I bouget the others new, ifrot never had the low price from preowned section I would have never tried the series even though it is one of my favorite series now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
Message 38 of 77 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2913 posts

Sep 16, 2012

zeothedeathgod wrote:

Chrono-Cactaur wrote:

If they implement the online pass, you won't be able to play online on a friend's PS3, because the pass acts as DLC.

and???? why are you taking the game to your friends house to play online? XD thats what offline is for, i dont think you can do co-op online with people for this game, if you want to play online stay at your houseSmiley Happy have your friend get the game to, or go to your house

Ugh yes you can, this game supports any kind of mixes including 2 offline players playing together online against online opponents.

Message 39 of 77 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Who cares? If you buy the game new you are fine.

The Ps3 copy will come with an online pass for the Ps3 version and the copy for the Vita you get a code for will come with a pass as well. Vita games are tied to one account, so you can't share it anyway, and the Ps3 versions online pass works for the entire system.

The only reason this is an issue is if you buy it Pre-Owned... And if you buy it Pre-Owned within the first few months of release you're a moron.
Message 40 of 77 (64 Views)
0 Likes