Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Re: On the subject of Dante...

Nov 11, 2012

miamiheatowns wrote:
Why does it matter so much how a character looks? Ninja theory is trying to reinvent Dante, there's no problem with that. If it doesn't work out, then they won't do it next time. What is the difference between this and Raiden? Raiden underwent a change in MGS4, but there wasn't any problem with that.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing any valid reason to complain about change.

its more ksan his looks and for me i like the way he looks even when he was first revealed, the reason people hate him is because he acts like an @$$ clown, he acts nothing like Dante, and people liked Dante not DINO, and NT want to act like they are the gods of the gaming industry.

[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Message 21 of 38 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Nov 11, 2012

Hi.

His personality hasn't actually changed; in the original games he was much more of the generic hero of that time. He had that 'too cool for school' type of deal going on; basically it was a front for his much deeper problems, I.E his mom getting killed, and his brother against the very ideals their family were for, I.E not working for personal gain. The problem with the original games is that they never really exemplified this idea; DMC1 had it with its Sparda and Mundus link, but failed kinda miserably when it came to actually telling that. Just a small text dialogue at the very beginning of the game and it always pointing to "DANTE IS SPARDA'S SON. I HOPE YOU GUYS REALIZE DANTE IS SPARDA'S SON. HINT HINT DANTE IS' you get the idea.

What I'm trying to say is, they're both characters who act out against others to hide their internal misery of losing pretty much everything, with a sarcastic, mysanthropic demeanor (he acts like an arse). This is both shown in the way the Japanese do things; I.E acting like a 'too cool for school' gang member, and in the way the Western do things, I.E brood a lot, beat people up, and curse at people.

Also I'd like to point out that, in Ninja Theory's rendition, they're not going to throw a bunch of text saying Dante is Sparda's son. They're going to work it into the story. Of course the 'player' knows who Sparda is, we've played it before, but that's why its such an awesome reimagining; we now get to 'experience' it, with a character that's similar in many ways in terms of his personality, but physically different.

Message 22 of 38 (88 Views)
Sackboy
413 posts

Nov 11, 2012
Awkward moment when you accidentally kudo and can't remove it. Lol

Long time DMC fan and I gotta admit I hated young Dante at first but he's grown on me a bit.

Don't Forget to Play [Persona 4 Golden] Every Night Before Bed.
Message 23 of 38 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Nov 11, 2012

ScreamKing09 wrote:

achus93again wrote:
by the looks of things, capcom doesn't actually lose anything,
they lost the old fans, but gained new fans...

but how long will those new fans stick around, and when capcom really F up whose gona help them then, capcom lost fans of resident evil, DMC, megaman, marvel vs capcom, and other franchises that dont get fans

Pretty long, I'm gonna say.

Resident Evil - People who understand the change in direction with the series from Survival Horror to Action Horror, and are okay with that.

DmC - People who are accepting of the new style, and people who find the style more appealing.

Mega Man - Retro gamers, comic book fans, and people who can take a joke (BBA)

Marvel vs Capcom - People who understand the change in fighting style from 2 to 3 and can adapt

There. They're pretty much rooting out the stupid people, if anything.

Message 24 of 38 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Nov 11, 2012

achus93again wrote:

ScreamKing09 wrote:

achus93again wrote:

but how long will those new fans stick around, and when capcom really F up whose gona help them then, capcom lost fans of resident evil, DMC, megaman, marvel vs capcom, and other franchises that dont get fans

dunno,

honestly, i just don't care about those franchises of capcom that you just listed,

the only capcom franchise i care about is monster hunter, which hasn't seen an english languaged release, and dragons dogma...

just an example, i mean i really wouldnt be surprised if they F up monster hunter next, theve been on a roll with destroying their own ips.

[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Message 25 of 38 (84 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
854 posts

Nov 11, 2012

I played a bit of the old DmC games and really couldn't keep interested in them at all. I tossed it aside as something I just wouldn't like. The latest DmC has changed my opinion, though. The newest DmC seems to have added a ton of possible story building and interesting character growth while expanding on what seems to be great gameplay. I won't say it's great before i play it, but if it were not for this game I would have 0 interest in the series as a whole. Depending on how much I enjoy this newest game, I might feel the need to pick up the old ones.

The current Dante adds nothing but an amazing story to tell. I look forward to playing through it, and feel bad that a sad group of people can't look past a less than desirable attitude on the protagonist of what looks to be a great game and addition to the series..

Message 26 of 38 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Nov 11, 2012

@Ihatemath Like I said, he's still Dante, he has just been changed and @Screamking your right, every ones opinion is different. You hate "New Dante", I like this Dante. I'm done here, I'm not going to argue over a video game character.

"I'm the bad guy......I'm fine with that."
Message 27 of 38 (71 Views)
Fender Bender
2516 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

oh yeah, what's the story with raiden?

in his new game, is it before or after mgs4?

I'll actually give the text dialogue that they have in the Metal Gear Revengeance demo I got right next to me, hold up.

"Four years have passed since the "Guns of the Patriots" and the collapse of the system that had been controlling world affairs from the shadows. Free from Patriot control, cyborg technology has proliferated and the world's major private military companies (PMC's) have splintered into countless smaller entites sparking new conflicts around the globe."

Message 28 of 38 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Nov 11, 2012

ScreamKing09 wrote:

achus93again wrote:

ScreamKing09 wrote:

achus93again wrote:

dunno,

honestly, i just don't care about those franchises of capcom that you just listed,

the only capcom franchise i care about is monster hunter, which hasn't seen an english languaged release, and dragons dogma...

just an example, i mean i really wouldnt be surprised if they F up monster hunter next, theve been on a roll with destroying their own ips.

hopefully not, but i'm kinda pised that their next release is on the 3ds,

the way i see it, if sony wants a huge sale for the vita, they should strike up a deal with capcom for a monster hunter game for the vita,

that would definitely get some sales....

Play For Fun!
Message 29 of 38 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Nov 11, 2012

COS-117 wrote:

I played a bit of the old DmC games and really couldn't keep interested in them at all. I tossed it aside as something I just wouldn't like. The latest DmC has changed my opinion, though. The newest DmC seems to have added a ton of possible story building and interesting character growth while expanding on what seems to be great gameplay. I won't say it's great before i play it, but if it were not for this game I would have 0 interest in the series as a whole. Depending on how much I enjoy this newest game, I might feel the need to pick up the old ones.

The current Dante adds nothing but an amazing story to tell. I look forward to playing through it, and feel bad that a sad group of people can't look past a less than desirable attitude on the protagonist of what looks to be a great game and addition to the series..

id like to add its more than his attitude as well, the game is a downgrade, enemies just stand around when you activate devil trigger, you can literally just use the guns to get a SSS rank, there are weapon cool downs, the game is more linear, etc...

Message 30 of 38 (53 Views)
0 Likes