Highlighted
Nov 20 2012
By: Gekidami I Only Post Everything 1189 posts

Of Reviews, The Games Image, And How Predictable '6's' Were.

15 replies 513 views Edited Nov 20, 2012

So as i 'm sure most of you have seen by now, reviews for PSBR are rolling out, and whilst most of them a good to great, a few are lower. Now, not to say the games mechanics are perfect (nealy all reviews pick on the games bare bones SP content), but a few of these lower scores barely seem to actually review the game and instead focus on the very concept of a Sony brawler. Unfair? Maybe, but thats whats happening.

"Padded out the roster is!" they say, "Sony dont have the characters!" they claim. Now i think any Sony gamer, or hell, any general gamer worth his salt knows that this claim is sort of BS, Sony of course own more IP's then Nintendo & MS combined, meaning more characters for a game like this. But the biggest problem with PSBR is that the game doesnt reflect that, its overloaded with third party characters, most of which have no real ties to Sony. To put it bluntly, the choice to have New Dante, Rising Raiden, & Big Daddy hurt the games image in several ways; their lack of ties to PlayStation history and the fact they come off as nothing more then ads for upcoming games.

So what should have happened? Well, this being the first PS All-Stars brawler, Superbot should have stuck to only first party characters, yes, thats right; no third parties. They could have been introduced in the sequel, or as DLC but they shouldnt be as big a focus as they turned out to be.

The sad thing is that this was predictable, 5 months ago i already warned about the image too many third party characters would have, what with so many haters already claiming Sony dont have the IP's to do it:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/May-be-too-many-third-party/td-p...

"Well right now we have two and Snake is as good as confirmed, if we get Crash & Spyro that'll be 5. ...Thats really quite a lot... The way i see it, third parties should just be guests, the main focus of the game should be Sony's IP's because all of these third parties could appear on any other platform, they could be in the next Smash Bros or MS could make their own game and fill it with the same characters. Theres no obligation to keep third party characters exclusive to a Sony game and it'll look really dumb if the roaster can be found else where.

There also the image having so many third party characters gives. Sony own way more IP's than both Nintendo & Microsoft, but the haters keep going on about how Sony doesnt have the characters for a game like this, filling the roaster with third parties really isnt helping.

In the end it really depends on how many Sony characters there are, but 5 out of 20 or even 30 (assuming Crash & Spyro are in) is a hell of a lot already."

I hope Sony learn from this for the second one: Less third party ads, more PlayStation history.

Message 1 of 16 (513 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

Re: Of Reviews, The Games Image, And How Predictable '6's' Were.

Nov 20, 2012
God stop complaining.
Message 2 of 16 (476 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Nov 20, 2012
be appreciative
This is relevant to my inetrest
Message 3 of 16 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Nov 20, 2012
Agree about the dante big daddy and snake bit. I want to play the characters I grew up playing not advertisements. Its a shame slkonami wouldnt let them use snake and etc.
Solid Snake/ Big Boss for PSASBR

I make it rain with Kudos

Message 4 of 16 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 20, 2012
You do realize that adding a few first party characters in place of third party characters would've just turned the complaint into "Why was there NO third party support? They didn't try to get anybody!"

No matter what this would've happened. Honestly, I'm surprised the reviews are as high as they've been so far.
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 5 of 16 (392 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
You do realize that adding a few first party characters in place of third party characters would've just turned the complaint into "Why was there NO third party support? They didn't try to get anybody!"

No matter what this would've happened. Honestly, I'm surprised the reviews are as high as they've been so far.

They're alright.

Average is 7.5

Message 6 of 16 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 20, 2012

CutiePatutiee wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

They're alright.

Average is 7.5

How is the average 7.5 when there have only been maybe five reviews under 7, and almost all of them were above 8?  Unless I've completely missed thirty reviews, I'd say it's about 8.

ecdf9e46
Message 7 of 16 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 20, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

CutiePatutiee wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

They're alright.

Average is 7.5

How is the average 7.5 when there have only been maybe five reviews under 7, and almost all of them were above 8?  Unless I've completely missed thirty reviews, I'd say it's about 8.

Wrong. About half the total scores it recieved were less than an 8

Metacritic averages out all reviews, and the game has 76, or 7.6 for people who NEED decimals in review scores. Here's the link

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

Message 8 of 16 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 21, 2012
I said less than a 7 score. Six (compared to what I said: "five") reviews scored a 7 or below, with four being actually under it.

Regardless, eight isn't half of 22 no matter how you split it, either, although I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that Metacritic may have added more reviews.

Still, it's getting scored higher than I thought.
ecdf9e46
Message 9 of 16 (270 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Nov 21, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Like i said, its more about image then the final content, Superbot/Sony really needed to put themselves forward as having the first party muscle to make a game like this, show that they didnt need to depend on padding out the roaster with third parties. And even then, they could have had third parties, but a very small number compared to the first party ones and characters that actually mean something to the PS legacy.

This games biggest downfall, even bigger than its lack of side content, is those third parties that no one thinks deserve to be in the game.

Message 10 of 16 (205 Views)