Mar 29 2013
By: Breaker_Ki Sackboy 528 posts

Now that I've spent hours on Isaac, I have to say...

[ Edited ]
17 replies 469 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

That anyone who thinks his level 1 and 3 needs a buff is crazy.  His AP gain is ridiculous, like almost Kratos level.  Not to mention his level 2 has an easy confirm (like Kratos).  If you want a better L1 or L3 then his AP gain would need to be reduced (Zeus is another story...).  However, that weird aiming glitch with his level 1 is annoyng, I've had my recticle just randomly go off in some direction.

As for his grab, I like it a lot.  Reflecting projectiles is very useful, however I have to admit is range is a bit overpower.  Even if someone counters my throw with a throw, the counter knocks each of us back a few steps; this puts them out of range to grab but Isaacs will still reach, so for the most part you can double grab and there is little you opponent can do.  Other than range, his throw is on par with most of the casts speed.

I will also admit he's easy mode since his mine is actually OP for a ranged character.  Combo characters can't do **bleep** to me.  At least Sweet Tooth can't sit on his mine without giving up AP since his attacks are all short range.  For me, I have range and can gain tones of AP while keeping safe.  Unfortunately, I see this getting nerfed so I'm trying not to rely on it too much anymore.  Infact, I've won 80% of my matches with a character I barely know, and it's probably because of that mine.

Message 1 of 18 (469 Views)
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Re: Now that I've spent hours on Isaac, I have to say...

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

I haven't really played Issac yet, I am currently in love with Zeus, but I have a hell of a time trying to beat Issac, even as my Toro and Spike.

Also why do people dislike Zeus? His slow, incredibly punishable and a large target.

Message 2 of 18 (456 Views)
Sackboy
528 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Zeus is one of those characters that once someone figures him out, they can mitigate his weaknesses (aside from being a huge target of course).

I find with Zeus at the moment, you are either really good or really bad, no middle ground.  He has all around good supers with insane AP gain if played right.

Message 3 of 18 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Mar 29, 2013
Isaac is a hard controllable character for me. I'm still learning how to achieve that.
Message 4 of 18 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
528 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Also, for anyone new to Isaac who have toruble with his L3.  If someone is near a red bomb thing, shot the bomb instead.  Way easier kill.  It also helps to fly towards them instead of shooting from range.

Message 5 of 18 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Breaker_Ki wrote:

That anyone who thinks his level 1 and 3 needs a buff is crazy.  His AP gain is ridiculous, like almost Kratos level.  Not to mention his level 2 has an easy confirm (like Kratos).  If you want a better L1 or L3 then his AP gain would need to be reduced (Zeus is another story...).  However, that weird aiming glitch with his level 1 is annoyng, I've had my recticle just randomly go off in some direction.

As for his grab, I like it a lot.  Reflecting projectiles is very useful, however I have to admit is range is a bit overpower.  Even if someone counters my throw with a throw, the counter knocks each of us back a few steps; this puts them out of range to grab but Isaacs will still reach, so for the most part you can double grab and there is little you opponent can do.  Other than range, his throw is on par with most of the casts speed.

I will also admit he's easy mode since his mine is actually OP for a ranged character.  Combo characters can't do **bleep** to me.  At least Sweet Tooth can't sit on his mine without giving up AP since his attacks are all short range.  For me, I have range and can gain tones of AP while keeping safe.  Unfortunately, I see this getting nerfed so I'm trying not to rely on it too much anymore.  Infact, I've won 80% of my matches with a character I barely know, and it's probably because of that mine.

His level 1 comes out slow, can be countered with CAKE and when I'm facing foward, my guy will all of a sudden spaz out and shoot in another direction.

His level 3 is horrible because people fly around faster then you, you have no aim assist, the hitbox on your shots is so small you have to hump your targets if you want them dead and they can hide behind debris.

His AP gain is decent for someone who can hardly melee.

His grab and mine are his best qualities. (Btw, he's the only range character with a mine, so that's why you think it's OP)

His gun loop is insanley hard to do.

After playing as Isaac and Zeus, I renounced them being OP. Zeus has tons of openings I had no idea about and Issac is basically doomed when someone gets in close to him.

Isaac is not easy mode unless your fighting easy people.

Message 6 of 18 (391 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1087 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I also had a bit of a hard time controlling Isaac properly at first, but I suppose his attacks make up for that, based on what I've seen so far.

But I do agree that his mine seems a bit OP sometimes.  I say this because whenever I use Sir Dan's Hammer Smash (an attack strong enough to knock people into the air) on the mine, it still explodes and sends Dan flying.  If they weakened his mine a bit and made it more like Sweet Tooth's, I think he wouldn't be too bad.  Well, besides that gun loop...

Message 7 of 18 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
528 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

I think the level 1 is fine as is, well, assuming they fix the weird random aim glitch.  It's slow yes, but that unblockable stun effect has helped me so much.  It's not as good or fast as Radec's L1, but has nice utility.  His level 3 is one of the hardest to use, but 6 kills is possible. 

Right now I average 4, but I've gotten 5 and 6 on multiple ocassions.  However, I think the limited kill potential of this level 3 is fair given his AP gain.  Also, unlike most level 3, his level 3 confines people to small area so you can use it on any map, large or small.  Now look at Jak, his level 3 is really good, but it can only get a max of 6 kills, and it's hard to get 6 on large maps, but his AP gain is also really low, so we see some balance issues from character to character.

As for the gun loop, I'm sure they will remove it.   I'm also sure that now that majority of the community can empty cancel with Dante, they will remove that loop too, becuase now that Dante's L1 costs 25 less AP, you can loop someone from 0 AP to a kill without them being able to respond.

Message 8 of 18 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Mar 29, 2013

To the OP. You are right in regards to combo characters not being able to to jack **bleep** to a character like Isaac due to his mines. I main Raiden and when I come across an Isaac in a match, I pray to god he's not a spammer. When I do run into a spammer, I say **bleep** it, and focus on his partner. Most Isaac players do is sit in a corner, plant a mine under them and shoot the gun from safety. That cheap technique coupled with his fast AP gain is ridiculous.

I've fought GOOD Isaac players. The ones who don't rely on the mine. There are very few of them that actually come out of thier safe zone. Those guys have my respect. Once in a blue moon, I would run into TWO isaac spammerS that just sit on a mine and blast away. These guys are frustrating because it's VERY difficult to finish a combo on them .  I pray for the day a nerf comes to these wankers.

Message 9 of 18 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Breaker_Ki wrote:

I think the level 1 is fine as is, well, assuming they fix the weird random aim glitch.  It's slow yes, but that unblockable stun effect has helped me so much.  It's not as good or fast as Radec's L1, but has nice utility.  His level 3 is one of the hardest to use, but 6 kills is possible. 

Right now I average 4, but I've gotten 5 and 6 on multiple ocassions.  However, I think the limited kill potential of this level 3 is fair given his AP gain.  Also, unlike most level 3, his level 3 confines people to small area so you can use it on any map, large or small.  Now look at Jak, his level 3 is really good, but it can only get a max of 6 kills, and it's hard to get 6 on large maps, but his AP gain is also really low, so we see some balance issues from character to character.

As for the gun loop, I'm sure they will remove it.   I'm also sure that now that majority of the community can empty cancel with Dante, they will remove that loop too, becuase now that Dante's L1 costs 25 less AP, you can loop someone from 0 AP to a kill without them being able to respond.

It's the longest start-up level 1 and can very easily be disturbed.

Jak's level 3 is one of the best in the game, which is why his AP gain is low. Large or small stage, most people can get 6 kills with it opposed to Isaac's.

I doubt they will since I have yet to see anyone use it.

I made a thread about Dante's EC not to long ago. It's apparently not going anywhere.

Message 10 of 18 (322 Views)
0 Likes