Highlighted
Jul 17 2012
By: Godlike_Shanker I Only Post Everything 832 posts

No love for Gabriel Logan – Syphon Filter?

11 replies 8663 views Edited Jul 17, 2012

Syphon Filter, one of the great franchises of the PlayStation during the PS1 era, should get more love for a representative in this game. The first two entries in the series are classics. Also, Syphon Filter is first party and would make it easier to put him in. This isn't some obscure franchise either, the first two games in the series sold a combined 5 million units according to VGChartz. Overall, the series has sold over 7 million copies worldwide, similar numbers to the likes of Jak and Killzone. Every title in the series became part of Sony's Greatest Hits titles. Not bad at all.

Would he be another gun character? Yeah. But this is about having the icons of PlayStation and Syphon Filter definitely qualifies as one. There are more than enough ways to make him a unique character. They made Radec, a very generic gun villain, into a very interesting fighter. That's all that needs to be said about this issue. Here's a moveset I made for him:

Character: Gabriel Logan

Series: Syphon Filter

Gabe Logan and Lian Xing

How would he fight? Logan would be a mid to long range (not as far as Radec though) fighter. In the series, Logan isn't known for his CQC ability (at least in SF1 and SF2 which I played the most) aside from very weak knifing skills and his melee range taser. So yeah, he would definitely need to make sure others don't get near him.

How can he be unique? If you've ever played the original SF games, you will know the classic aiming system of the game. That could be implemented into his moveset, making a lot of his longer range attacks requiring careful aiming by the player (a bit like Radec's level 1 super but for normal attacks). The SF games also feature a lot of “in the dark” missions, requiring the player to use nightvision goggles. This could be made into a cool super. And of course, his infamous taser would definitely make an appearance.

Ground moves

• Short range: Hand Taser. High AP return. Good for starting combos.

• Variation (while in cover): Silenced 9mm Handgun. Lower AP return but quick and with range.

• Variation (while moving; uppercut): HK-5. Higher AP return and can send opponents flying.

• Variation (after a roll, finisher): .45 Handgun. Knocks back, good for finishing combos.

• Variation (crouching): Nerve Gas Grenade. Slows opponents down, low AP return.

• Medium range (while in cover, moving): M-16. Medium AP return, good range, rate of fire and activation.

• Variation (after a roll, finisher): 12 Gauge Shotgun. Higher AP return, lower range. Good to start combos.

• Variation (crouching): Incendiary Grenade. Medium AP return, some AoE. Good for keeping opponents at bay.

• Long range (while in cover): Sniper Rifle. High AP return, great range (not infinite) but low rate of fire.

• Variation (crouching): M-79 Grenade Launcher. Highest AP return, good range, AoE. Low rate of fire. Good for crowd dispersion.

• Variation (while moving): UAS-12. Lower AP return but with good rate of fire.

• Flak Jacket: Logan puts on a flak jacket that lowers the amount of AP that other players receive when hitting him. Lasts for around 10 seconds and takes 2 seconds to put it on.

Air moves

• Rappel (holding up and x while in midair): Logan launches a grappling hook that allows him to stay midair. He can use any of his attacks while rappelling.

• Double jump: Parachute. Allows Logan to glide after jumping.

• C-4 Explosive (holding down while in midair). Blows away any opponents underneath.

Block

Logan's block is a generic wall cover like Drake's and Radec's. However, once in cover, the player will be able to manually aim this attack for headshots (classic green reticle from SF 1 and 2) that yield higher AP and stuns the opponent for a bit. At 09:25 in the video below you can see what I'm talking about:

Supers

• Level 1: Air Taser. Very quick to use and has good range. The player must hold L2 until the target literally fries to death (about one and a half seconds for one kill). If the player is able to hold for longer (about 3 seconds), the target will start burning and eventually explode, killing any other opponents nearby. Here's how it would look like, starting at 1:02:

• Level 2: Chopper Gunner. Always appears from behind Logan and is controlled by Lian Xing. Sprays the arena with a barrage of bullets, killing any opponents it hits. Can get up to 3 kills. Landing near the chopper blades will also result in a kill. Here's how it would happen, starting at 0:54:

• Level 3: Lights out. Logan puts on night vision goggles and proceeds to take the lights out of the arena. For all opponents, they will only see darkness and maybe the ground level of the stage. For Logan, he will get that classic night vision from SF 1 and 2 along with instakill shots from his attacks. Can get up to 5 kills if the player is fast enough. Here's how it would look, starting at 2:01:

Message 1 of 12 (8,663 Views)
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Re: No love for Gabriel Logan – Syphon Filter?

Jul 17, 2012

This was one of Sony's more successful franchises, so Logan easily deserves a spot on the roster.

You clearly went through a lot of effot on this. Great work.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 2 of 12 (8,652 Views)
Sackboy
488 posts

Jul 17, 2012
Agree hope he gets in!
http://pastadium.forumotion.com/forum

Photobucket
Message 3 of 12 (8,647 Views)
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

Jul 17, 2012

I dont know, I get the impression he will just be a Solid Snake clone.

Message 4 of 12 (8,643 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Shadowrave25 wrote:

Maybe at face-value. They both come from stealth games, but they're hardly identical stealth games. If they were, Syphon Filter wouldn't have sold as well as it has.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 5 of 12 (8,626 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Sam Fisher is better.

Message 6 of 12 (8,622 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Shadowrave25 wrote:

Nah, they play very differently tbh. Logan has no CQC and is more action oriented. Plus, he has that freaking air taser that burns people.

It's the same thing people say with Drake and Lara but their games play very differently and there are many ways to make them stand out. Same with MGS and SF.

Message 7 of 12 (8,618 Views)
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

Sep 6, 2012
I really hope he gets in! Played Syphon Filter trilogy when it was free for PS Plus and I loved it! He certainly is a PlayStation All Star!
Message 8 of 12 (8,492 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Sep 6, 2012

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 9 of 12 (8,484 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Sep 6, 2012

This moveset was done before I even realized how moves were performed so I just put them in distance order Smiley Very Happy

But yeah, he still tops my character wish list. DAT TASER!

Message 10 of 12 (8,483 Views)
0 Likes