Sep 22 2012
By: Bobthepetferret Gaming Beast 1670 posts

No TGS Reveals? Let's think for a moment...

46 replies 1121 views Edited Sep 22, 2012

Hello everybody, I'm a relatively new poster on this forum. I've posted a few times here and there, but most of the time I lurk around, curious to see what's being said about this game, and I'm sad to see the lack of reveals at TGS has sent people into a frenzy. Thread after thread of people calling Superbot names and whining is not a sensible reaction in my book. Sure, it's disappointing, but rather than jump to conclusions regarding DLC (I really don't know where people get these DLC theories from...) or whatever else let's look at some sensible theories about what this could mean.

Theory #1. There could still be TGS reveals. Yes, I know it seems unlikely, but hear me out. TGS is not over, and based on info I've read here, Jak and Cole weren't revealed until the last day of Comic-Con. May as well hold out hope that they could still reveal something at the end of it all, or even later in the day today. But remember, it's not the end of the world if they don't. And here's why...

Theory #2. Tokyo Game Show is catered almost exclusively to the Japanese audience. Now, while the game has been shown at non-American shows (Gamescom, I'm looking at you), you have to remember that while the American and European audiences aren't vastly different to one another, the Japanese audience IS. Sure, the game's been hyped up like crazy for all of us, but maybe Japan have heard nothing up to this point, so for them, this is a new thing, and revealing the entire game for what is essentially the first time and tthen tacking "here comes a new challenger" onto the end might seem a little bizarre to them. Maybe Superbot wanted to reveal something here, but SCEJ vetoed it for the above reasoning.

Theory #3. There will be no more character reveals, but there may still be more characters. How does this work? Simple. Superbot act as if there are only 20 characters, and then we finally get our hands on the game, and suddenly...THAT'S when a new challenger comes in! We find out the character is in by unlocking them. I mean, sure, this would be a PR nightmare if the likes of Crash and Cloud are in but are secret unlockables since several people would buy the game off the back of those characters, but I could legitimately see Kat, Wander or a Chimera being unlockable without too much fuss (hell, "play on San Francisco X amount of times" could be a sensible unlock method for Chimera). We don't know, but it's possible. Would also add weight to the "20 main characters" idea, since it means the rest are all secret.

So yeah, just some of my own possible theories to try and bring some sanity back and try and get people not to worry. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 1 of 47 (1,121 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Re: No TGS Reveals? Let's think for a moment...

Sep 22, 2012
They said already on the playstation blog they might not reveal all characters.
Message 2 of 47 (1,088 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
977 posts

Sep 22, 2012
I think it's theory number 3.
Message 3 of 47 (1,056 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Sep 22, 2012

Personally i think the best thing for superbot to do is announce (if theyre in)

crash and cloud, then let the game release with 2-4 unrevealed characters we must find ourselves.

this case scenario no-one gets hurt.. sorta

Message 4 of 47 (971 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Sep 22, 2012

Youngdoz213 wrote:

Personally i think the best thing for superbot to do is announce (if theyre in)

crash and cloud, then let the game release with 2-4 unrevealed characters we must find ourselves.

this case scenario no-one gets hurt.. sorta

It would be a sensible idea, but that is assuming they're in.

Like I said, while the likes of Kat, Wander and a Chimera are heavily requested, they're not really "pull" characters in that they won't immediately make people rush out and buy the game. Gravity Rush, SotC and Resistance have their fans, but aren't widely popular. Critical successes with cult followings, sure, but usually with people who are already interested in the characters who are already in. May as well make them unlockable.

The likes of Cloud and Crash, however, are massive characters that seem to be the tipping point for some people. Keeping them secret if they're in would cause those who insist "no Crash, no buy!" to avoid the game...even though he'd be in!

Message 5 of 47 (920 Views)
Splicer
83 posts

Sep 22, 2012

they said that all characters will be unlocked from the getgo

Message 6 of 47 (880 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
977 posts

Sep 22, 2012
They'd buy the game either way. They're just saying that simply because that's their character request.

If Sony wont reveal any more characters until release, they'll probably make sure we know (instead of leaving us thinking that the current 20 is the final roster)

There is more than 20 rofl
Message 7 of 47 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Sep 22, 2012

Raffymundo wrote:

they said that all characters will be unlocked from the getgo

There's still confusion on this matter, since some people are saying unlockable characters, others are saying everyone will be unlocked. There seems to be no consensus here.

The thing with Superbot is that they can be quite vague in their statements, as noted by the wildly different interpretations people give, so they could have been referring to all the revealed characters, as in THEY are all unlocked at the start, in an attempt to throw us all off and surprise us when brand new characters suddenly get unlocked.

And if you don't agree with that theory, the other theories still work with the idea that everyone is available straight away, they just haven't been revealed yet.

Message 8 of 47 (835 Views)
Splicer
83 posts

Sep 22, 2012

it would be really dumb if they dont reveal characters that will be in the game. there would be no hype

Message 9 of 47 (825 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Sep 22, 2012

ElevenCarrot11 wrote:
They'd buy the game either way. They're just saying that simply because that's their character request.

If Sony wont reveal any more characters until release, they'll probably make sure we know (instead of leaving us thinking that the current 20 is the final roster)

There is more than 20 rofl

They probably would, but it's foolish for marketing to think that about gamers ("don't need to bother marketing this, they'll buy it anyway!"). Then again, maybe it's even more foolish to make a judgement on this game based entirely on the absence of a single character Smiley Tongue

But yeah, it would be good to at least admit there are more. Sure, the 20+ figure suggests as much, but people like to wildly misinterpret things, I've noticed, so some people could think it just meant 20 Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 47 (810 Views)