Oct 11 2012
By: n0rmal94 Uncharted Territory 1273 posts

New interview

20 replies 799 views Edited Oct 11, 2012

Heres a new interview with Omar http://nzgamer.com/ps3/features/1150/playstation-all-stars-developer-interview.html

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 1 of 21 (799 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1035 posts

Re: New interview

Oct 11, 2012
what does it say-summary
Message 2 of 21 (756 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2012

-"Were any characters or stages explored but then dropped?
-Characters, no. "

Also blaming Sucker Punch for the two Coles issue again.

Message 3 of 21 (753 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 11, 2012
Will the game support expansion by way of DLC?
Absolutely. One of the things we first realised when we showed the game back in April was that there was no way we’d be able to fit everything that the fans were asking for onto the disc. The interest in the game exploded as soon as we showed the game off. It’s something that we’re preparing - if there’s enough interest there - to sup

Let the speculation begin !
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 4 of 21 (749 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 11, 2012
supply fans with*
Message 5 of 21 (737 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Oct 11, 2012

PaRappa The Rapper vs. Big Daddy: FIGHT!

Sony's upcoming PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is an in-your-face mascot fight, and one that fans of the publisher have been crying out for. In it, much like Nintendo's Super Smash Bros, players will be able to use their favorite character from their favorite PlayStation game to face off against other characters in worlds that are also drawn from popular gaming franchises.

Fan service? You bet. Derivative? Possibly - but who cares? Certainly not the target audience for the title, if social media and gaming forums are any guide. Players really are keen to jump in and have a light hearted scrap with their character of choice - be that Uncharted's Drake, Big Daddy from the BioShock games, or Raiden from Metal Gear.

The title's also one of the first to feature Sony's new cross-buy compatibility; buy it on either Vita or PlayStation 3 and you'll get access to both versions of the game for one price. The feature, which was announced at Gamescom, has piqued the interest of Vita owners and prospective Vita owners alike, and is another reason many are following the fortunes of All-Stars.

Having had a play of the game at E3, we're quite excited to have another crack at it, but with its November release still a little while out, there's still some waiting to do before we'll get that chance. To help fill in the time between now and then, we sat down to have a chat with Omar Kendall, one of the principal creative talents behind the PlayStation All-Stars...

Tell us a bit about your background; what did you do before you joined the All-Stars team?

I track my life - as a fan and player of videogames - as "before I played Street Fighter", and "after I played Street Fighter." I had all kinds of interests, like collecting baseball cards, reading comic books, and all sorts of things. Then I played Street Fighter and everything else all fell away. I became obsessed with this genre, I pretty much played any and every fighting game I could come across.

I eventually landed a gig working on fighting game strategy guides. I wrote several of those, and then parlayed into being a designer on some old fighting games like X-Men Next Dimension for Activision, the Backyard Wrestling games for EIDOS, and then I did a stint for Neversoft, the guys behind Tony Hawk, Gun, Guitar Hero. That was my middle period where I wasn’t working on fighting games.

But then I got an awesome opportunity to work on the UFC Undisputed series for THQ, and I worked on those for a number of years, and it was when I was actually there that Sony was working with SuperBot to start working on PlayStation All-Stars. 

The game PlayStation All-Stars went through a couple of different iterations really early on when they weren’t quite sure what type of game they were making. They settled on this 2D style, four-player, brawler/fighting game. They really started looking for talent that had specific history on working on games like this before. 

If you’re not in Japan it’s kind of hard - there’s not really a history of fighting game making outside of Japan. I think Rare worked on Killer Instinct, and obviously the guys in Chicago made Mortal Kombat, but other than that it’s really hard to find experienced fighting game development. 

They did find me, and a couple of the guys - even some tournament players who had done well in competitive play who also happened to be developers - and formed the core of the PlayStation All-Stars team.

Have you worked on the game since the beginning of this iteration - since it came to SuperBot? Was the game already in production when you joined?

When I joined, they literally had just decided “it’s going to be this kind of game”. Before I had joined they had gone through several different versions of the game, but once they decided on the style, I was a part of the team that created the first gameplay prototype, even before full-production.

How would you describe PlayStation All-Stars?

I think PlayStation All-Stars is a celebration. A celebration of the PlayStation universe and its characters. It’s had a long storied history, and this is finally the ultimate fan celebration of that great history.

It’s also a fighting game. it’s a four-player, 2D-style game where you and friends together on the same couch and play against each other, or you can go online and play against players all over the world. It combines two things that a lot of people have a lot of warm feelings about; the PlayStation universe, and fighting games.

Alan continues his interview with Omar Kendall from SuperBot entertainment, starting with a question that will be amongst the first to spring to mind for multi-platform gamers that have been around for a few years...

Gamers that have been around for awhile often draw allusions between your game and a certain other franchise that only appears on Nintendo consoles; how do you generally respond when people suggest the two are more than a little similar?

It’s not something that we are particularly shy about. We are pretty open and honest about being fans of videogames. A lot of the guys in the office - myself included - are fans of Super Smash Bros. if that’s the game you’re referring to. Obviously we’ve drawn inspiration from that game, but we’ve drawn inspiration from a lot of games. 

Again, we’re huge fighting game fans, and if you look at PlayStation All-Stars you’ll see a lot of influences from a lot of different fighting games. One of the catch-phrases for some of our character reveals is “here comes a new challenger”, which is a phrase that has a long relationship with traditional fighting games. 

I think PlayStation All-Stars really does introduce something new with our “Super” system. We think it’s a really interesting take, and sort of a variation on a lot of the traditional elements that have been packaged in a new and interesting way.

We really don’t have a problem acknowledging the fact that we are influenced and inspired by all great games that have come before us. We’re also really interested in introducing something new as well.

Is there any form of singleplayer campaign-like experience?

We have a couple of different singleplayer elements. The traditional arcade mode where you select your character, you find out why that character is motivated and what brings him to this space, and you play through different maps, opponents, and we actually have a rivalry system in the game. One of the foundation ideas behind the game is these rivalry match-ups - like what would happen if Ratchet and Clank ever met Jak and Daxter - we have this system in our arcade story progression. Each character has a rival and they’ll have some interesting interplay and they’ll have the chance to fight one on one. Eventually you’ll find out who the puppet master is behind this whole thing, and how all these different characters came together. You get the chance to go up against him as well.

You mentioned two modes, that was one of them. What is the other?

We also have a couple of different offline modes and experiences for players. The meatiest one is our combat trial mode, and I describe it as edutainment. We’re going to teach you a little about the characters, the game and how to play it, the Super system, the levels, and all that kind of stuff. It’ll also challenge you and allow you to have some fun. That’s actually a really beefy mode. We have some general combat trials that introduce you to the game and then we dive into the individual characters and teach you the ins and outs. 

Is it always 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 combat, or can you 2 v 2 and 1 v 3?

There’s all sorts of variations. We usually show the four player free-for-all, which is the 1 v 1 v 1 v 1, but you can have all variations of 1 v 1, 1 v 1 v 1, and we also have teams. You could do a 2 v 2, a 1 v 2 v 1, or a 1 v 3. 

We then have a bunch of different match types. We normally show our timed match, which is three minutes and the highest score wins. We also have our Stock Match, which is limited lives where you play until you’ve exhausted your stock of lives, whoever remains wins. We have a mode called Kill Limit, which is sort of the opposite to that, where you’ve got a total number of points that you’re trying to score, and whoever scores that point total first wins.

You can combine every team variation with every match type variation to create whatever experience is right for you.

Will the game support expansion by way of DLC?

Absolutely. One of the things we first realised when we showed the game back in April was that there was no way we’d be able to fit everything that the fans were asking for onto the disc. The interest in the game exploded as soon as we showed the game off. It’s something that we’re preparing - if there’s enough interest there - to supply fans with. 

Will DLC be cross-platform compatible with the PSV?

To be honest, I think that’s more of a question for Sony, but I think that’d be a very cool idea though.

Alan concludes his interview with SuberBot's Omar Kendall with questions about the Vita, character selection, DLC, and the future of the studio...

Characters are pretty small on the Vita's screen; does that present any challenges for people playing on that platform?

We noticed that the screen size does create some unique challenges, and we are tackling those in some unique ways. It’s actually something I was working on almost right up until I got on the plane to come out here. We’re doing a bunch of different things, like player indicators that appear above characters heads which will be slightly larger on Vita. In particular, the one that’s above your head will be larger than the rest of the characters, and we’re doing a few different things with player call-outs to make it a little bit easier to find your character on the Vita.

The close proximity that players will hold your Vita screen to their faces does allow us to get away with some things, that playing on a PS3 doesn’t. We’re looking at a couple of unique Vita specific ways to tackle the issues associated with the characters being a little bit smaller.

What can you tell us about the character selection process? How do you decide which ones appear on the list?

We really tried to look at what the fans were asking for. I think it’s from the idea of fantasy match-ups, like what if Parappa the Rappa met Kratos. We wanted to listen to a lot of fan requests, and we’re also big PlayStation fans, so when it comes down to making the list you’re swayed by not only outside influences but inside influences as well. 

SuperBot was incubated - developed and nurtured - from inside the Sony Santa Monica walls, so we were formed right across from games like God of War, Twisted Metal, Fat Princess. I think those games are near and dear to our hearts, so a lot of games from them were selected.

What's the difference between Cole and Evil Cole?

We knew that we wanted Cole in the game, and we actually created a design that at one point had that neutral starting point and through your actions you turned hero or turned infamous. We also had a proposal for just one Cole. We just made a choice and said we’d have the hero version. But the IP holders felt really strongly that the way that the Cole character manifests, he really is two different guys, and they felt the character would be best served as two different and they really pushed for it. That’s how we ended up with it. 

They really did shape out to be really different characters; the nature of the power and abilities in inFamous blend themselves to very different styles of play. The Hero Cole uses primarily ice and electricity has a very specific play style, and it’s centered to isolating opponents, one on one, and he’s really a jack of all trades. The Evil Cole is more about destruction and throwing chaos into the play space, and really just about causing general havoc. They’re very different and different players will gravitate towards the different Coles. 

Were any characters or stages explored but then dropped?

Characters, no. The version of the level Hades, which is a mashup between God of War and Patapon, we’ve made that level twice. The version that’s in the game now is very different to the one we started out with. The original one didn’t have the character Hades appear, it was just more of a trap-filled level.

When we got around to not just having the two worlds that each level is made up of sit next to each other, but actually interacting with one-another, that’s when we decided to add the God Hades, and developed all those interplays between him and the Patapon. We redid the layout of the level; it got a lot bigger, we introduced a space to accommodate to character Hades, and it’s actually one level we’ve done twice. The original version is on the cutting-room floor and you’ll never see it.

Not even in a concept art gallery?

Maybe! We still have some builds laying around in the office with some versions of that level.

So what’s next for you guys?

We’re in the final stages of developing our release candidate. 

After release do you start working on DLC, or sequels?

I think that if the interest is there, DLC is something we’re definitely we’re interested in. There’s characters that fans have been asking for that we’d love to introduce. There’s also the opportunity to introduce some new levels. But it’s all up in the air, and we’ll play it by ear I think. We’ll see what the fans want and let that steer our path.

SuperBot was created with the specific intent to make PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and we’d love to be able to continue to do that.

Thank you very much for your time!

Photobucket
Message 6 of 21 (722 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Oct 11, 2012
the most notable thing omar said was that they never dropped any characters.

ouyofo.jpg

Message 7 of 21 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 11, 2012
After release do you start working on DLC, or sequels?
I think that if the interest is there, DLC is something we’re definitely we’re interested in. There’s characters that fans have been asking for that we’d love to introduce. There’s also the opportunity to introduce some new levels. But it’s all up in the air, and we’ll play it by ear I think. We’ll see what the fans want and let that steer our path.
Message 8 of 21 (697 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Oct 11, 2012

There were some extremely interesting points in this interview!

1. They actually had a Cole MacGrath planned that would start neutral but would then gradually change into Hero Cole or Infamous Cole based on your actions.  (This sounds like a great idea to me!)  They then decided to only have Hero Cole but Suckerpunch insisted on adding both.

2.  There were no characters explored and then dropped.  This sounds like good news to me!

3.  Character and stage DLC is an absolute yes.  I'm so stoked

Message 9 of 21 (638 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
756 posts

Oct 11, 2012

1 vs 1 vs 2. Now THAT sounds interesting Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 21 (615 Views)