Highlighted
Dec 05 2012
By: Prent62 Wastelander 846 posts
Accepted Solution

Nathan Drake's Rivalry Match

4 replies 397 views Edited Dec 5, 2012

Holy **bleep**. Now, I may not be the god of all MLG prolords but I fancy myself to be pretty good at this game. I got the game on Sunday and I've already completed all of Good Cole on the highest difficulties and once I beat Drake's story I can say the same for him. But I can't beat Drake's story.

This is because Sly Cooper is bloody difficult to beat.

Now, I'm all for difficulty in this game but fighting Sly Cooper on All-Stars difficulty seems just unfair. He spams the teleport, is always invisible, and the moment you get the upper hand with a great combo, he half negates it with his AP steal. Plus about a quarter of Drake's moves go literally over his head. On the rare occasion I've managed to get my level 1 I either get a kill through extreme luck, or more likely, I fail to hit him because HOW DO YOU HIT SOMETHING YOU CANNOT SEE WHILST IT'S CONSTANTLY INVISIBLE.

So please, PLEASE help me. What strategies do you use for this battle? I've been using Drake's ledge fall, basic square combo, run and gun and barrel to get where I am so far, with the occasional other attack.

Message 1 of 5 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Re: Nathan Drake's Rivalry Match

Dec 5, 2012
God this battle was a pain and I resorted to utterly cheap tactics to beat him, though I felt the AI was being frustratingly cheap with that counter move *having nightmares*.

This was my simple strategy;
1) Keep jumping to avoid the counter, always stay in the air, go to either the far left or far right of the stage, keep jumping and spam the down (circle?) move, whichever button it is for the floor crumbling - oh you've called it ledge fall - yes spam that move! It gains AP nice and fast and the AI isn't smart enough to dodge it most of the time he will stand right under you. Don't try and use other moves because he will drain your AP so fast if you stay on the ground.
2) Don't bother with Level 1 and 2, I missed so many times and when I did land them I often died before the game was over anyway. If you stay in the air and repeat 1) until you get a Level 3, you should secure at least 1, possibly 2 kills on him per Level 3. Just save for the Level 3, you're invincible so he can't cancel you out and its relatively easy to kill him then. It might seem LONG but once you've done it you're good to go.
Message 2 of 5 (381 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 5, 2012
The rival fight against him isn't hard really, 1vs1 against Sly is actually not in Sly's favor since you always know where he is on the screen because the camera will pan out depedning on how far away he is from you. You can also still see his outline, he's not invisible per say, more like 95% transparent :L

Remember he can't block or dodge things so if you can keep him busy with grenades and ohter projectiles like the barrel you should be able to get in on him, throwing him also won't trigger his counter.
Message 3 of 5 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

jamcakes wrote:
God this battle was a pain and I resorted to utterly cheap tactics to beat him, though I felt the AI was being frustratingly cheap with that counter move *having nightmares*.

This was my simple strategy;
1) Keep jumping to avoid the counter, always stay in the air, go to either the far left or far right of the stage, keep jumping and spam the down (circle?) move, whichever button it is for the floor crumbling - oh you've called it ledge fall - yes spam that move! It gains AP nice and fast and the AI isn't smart enough to dodge it most of the time he will stand right under you. Don't try and use other moves because he will drain your AP so fast if you stay on the ground.
2) Don't bother with Level 1 and 2, I missed so many times and when I did land them I often died before the game was over anyway. If you stay in the air and repeat 1) until you get a Level 3, you should secure at least 1, possibly 2 kills on him per Level 3. Just save for the Level 3, you're invincible so he can't cancel you out and its relatively easy to kill him then. It might seem LONG but once you've done it you're good to go.

First of all, hes a genius! He knows all........only with Fat Princess! He sucks with everyone else, especially Sir Dan and Spike. He knows I'm joking, he's a great player, and I thoroughly enjoy playing with him on Ranked matches together! He is a great partner (Don't interrupt my bloody level 2 with Raiden, it messes it up!)

Now getting back to the topic at hand, the only thing to do is make sure that you do the slide combo, if you don't know what it is (I just improvised this when I first got the game and I didn't know any combos lol)

Flying punch, Slide, flying punch, slide and then end with AK-47 (remember to do 3 rounds before you start moving forward to get maximum hits. Max hits = more ap!)

This battle was an absolute mission for me, but I somehow pulled through. The best way to get Sly is to just keep jumping and using the barrels, and then Magnam (Forward+Triangle) to shoot him across the whole level. It gains quite a bit of AP, and it will help get to Level 3 to make it easier to get the kills

Although jamcakes method is also good, but I agree, very long, just remember Drakes range and how far he throws his level 1, and then you should be good. The CPU is pretty dumb sometimes, they always think that jumping after a super is activated is always a miss, not for Drake!!

Btw, Add me online if you want some tips on Drake or some other characters, I'm not that great compared to many, many......MANY people here on the forums, but I'm not half bad...

I mainly use Drake, Raiden and sometimes Heihachi. (just for fun and to annoy people, I use Kratos a little bit. Trollsquad ftw!)

Message 4 of 5 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Orangegamer1 wrote:

First of all, hes a genius! He knows all........only with Fat Princess! He sucks with everyone else, especially Sir Dan and Spike. He knows I'm joking, he's a great player, and I thoroughly enjoy playing with him on Ranked matches together! He is a great partner (Don't interrupt my bloody level 2 with Raiden, it messes it up!)

Now getting back to the topic at hand, the only thing to do is make sure that you do the slide combo, if you don't know what it is (I just improvised this when I first got the game and I didn't know any combos lol)

Flying punch, Slide, flying punch, slide and then end with AK-47 (remember to do 3 rounds before you start moving forward to get maximum hits. Max hits = more ap!)

This battle was an absolute mission for me, but I somehow pulled through. The best way to get Sly is to just keep jumping and using the barrels, and then Magnam (Forward+Triangle) to shoot him across the whole level. It gains quite a bit of AP, and it will help get to Level 3 to make it easier to get the kills

Although jamcakes method is also good, but I agree, very long, just remember Drakes range and how far he throws his level 1, and then you should be good. The CPU is pretty dumb sometimes, they always think that jumping after a super is activated is always a miss, not for Drake!!

Btw, Add me online if you want some tips on Drake or some other characters, I'm not that great compared to many, many......MANY people here on the forums, but I'm not half bad...

I mainly use Drake, Raiden and sometimes Heihachi. (just for fun and to annoy people, I use Kratos a little bit. Trollsquad ftw!)

hahaha you better be joking! I thoroughly enjoy playing 2v2 with you on Ranked too... at least when we don't lose at the last second because Raiden charges into Kratos' Level 1..;/ nono I'm kidding that was hilarious ;D

I actually prefer this strategy for the Rival battle, its more difficult but at least you feel you've earned the victory this way (and theres not much fun to be had in spamming the ledge fall, I almost fell asleep during it..)

Message 5 of 5 (332 Views)
0 Likes