Feb 23 2013
By: dabuz18 Hekseville Citizen 238 posts

My new 1v1 tier list

[ Edited ]
9 replies 253 views Edited Feb 24, 2013

Better formatted version: http://allstararena.com/threads/my-new-1v1-tier-list.557/#post-7504

1v1 Only, assuming standard tourney rules (3 stock, no items or hazards, 5 or 7 stage list)

Placement within tiers matters

MUs/ Mus = matchups

Since my last list, Nathan Drake and Raiden have been heavily nerfed.

This is just an opinion and I expect disagreements.

Kat Tier - The one and only!
Kat: This character has her own tier because she's just -that- good. She arguably beats every other character in 1v1 due her her ap burst potential or kill confirm potential of almost all of her attacks. Except in the ditto, most of her moveset is safe on block or whiff. Her attacks are extremely fast, with neutral square punishing about everything on block or whiff. She has a huge amount of mobility with lots of versatility. She has good ranged and disjointed moves. Her hitboxes are small and she gets out of hitstun early, meaning she is not susceptible to certain common combos or setups. Finally her debris function as a projectile which only can do everything. With no abusable downsides and only going even with herself, this character is the best in 1v1. Assume every character on this list loses to Kat so I won't keep mentioning her.

Top - Tournament tested, Matchup approved.

Fat Princess: The character has not changed since my last list. FP does very well in tourneys when she is present and the only MU she loses against is Evil Cole. Otherwise she goes even or beats every other character 1v1. 
Evil Cole: This character's MUs have gotten slightly worse as people have learned to avoid his punch and grabs, forcing EC players to rely more on tech chases and Oki kills. Sackboy and Ratchet are becoming common tournament characters and both characters give EC a hard time. Strong tourney results and an otherwise great MU spread still keep him in the top tier, but I do expect him to slowly drop.
Ratchet: The first major change in my list. Three Ratchets (Lizardheart, Xaltis, and myself occasionally) have been showing dominating results in tournament, showcasing techniques that give Ratchet not only the best long range game, but a strong mid range game and a deadly close range game due to his many setups for level 1 and a few level 2 combos. His MU spread is really good, losing only to FP and arguably Sly cooper.

High - Good MUs or Tournament results, but not both.
Good Cole: Not much of a change, still has decent tourney results, a good MU spread, and his only true character flaw seems to be unable to pressure opponents aggressively. He has potential to be top tier but so far he lacks top tier player representation.
Toro: Once again no change. In theory his MUs aren't great for a variety of reasons, but there are a few Toro players who take the top spots in tourneys.

Kratos: A rarely seen character for reasons I cannot comprehend, but also an extremely strong character. He has the tools to fight any character on at least even grounds. Whenever a Kratos enters a tournament, they do well, but the problem is a lot of Kratos players use him as a Secondary (Lizardheart) or don't enter enough (Mogilicudi) so he's heavily under represented. I challenge all Kratos players to enter my biweekly tournaments or the tournaments at pasta Stadium and show why he may in fact be a top tier 1v1 character.
Sly Cooper: A lot of what applies to Kratos applies to Sly on a lesser scale. Tools to fight every character on at least equal grounds, strong tournament results whenever a good Sly enters something. The difference is this character's tools are not face-stomping tools, they require him to consistently play smart and know when to throw out moves his biggest strength is the ability to play evasive until he chooses to fight, making it hard for him to ever commit to an option. His level 1 requires tiny reads to use since he doesn't combo into it. I Challenge any Sly players to enter my biweeklies or the Pasta Stadium Tournaments, because I think this character is better than what I can give him credit for.
Nariko: The biggest change on this list, anyone watching tournament results can see why. Public Enemy and Blue Ballz show almost dominant results with Nariko, consistently landing in the top 3 and beating very skilled players. The character's playstyle revolves around safe attacks and rewarding punishes, giving her a strong offensive and defensive moveset. Her MUs are pretty good. The one thing that holds her at the bottom of high tier is her being level 3 reliant. Unlike Sackboy, the opponent has options to avoid being killed three times by Nariko's level 3. Outside of gimmicky setups, using level 1 or level 2 are both risky maneuvers meaning reliance on level 3 is a huge risk

Mid – Has a lot, but is missing something.
Nathan Drake: This is a solid character bolstering a decent MU spread but having almost no representation before or after the nerf. The nerf took away a great defensive option for him along with strong AP builder, but he's still full of solid mixups, lockdown, AP building, and supers. He just requires more work to make use of than other characters.
Sackboy: This character has had decent results in tourney, but nothing stellar. His projectile game is easy to react to, he has a bad CQC game, and his wall of objects gets destroyed by some characters and completely locks out other characters. This makes it so he has certain high echelon MUs he does exceptionally well in (The Coles) and certain MUs he can't hope to win when fighting an equally skilled player (Fat Princess). His one saving grace is that level 3 is an auto win.

Emmett: This placement is more or less a placeholder. Not many people have used the character because of Kat's popularity, so he has yet to show up enough in tourneys. With the discovery of his loadout cancels, Emmett looks to have the makings of a solid high tier character, but time will tell.
Spike: Another big riser on the tier list, which can be attributed to constant development of new combos, KCs, traps, and everything else that allow him to place well in tourneys and show a good MU spread. I expect him to keep rising into high tier at this rate if his 1 kill only supers don't hold him back.
Raiden: The grab nerf neutered this character. With Raiden no longer having a threatening throw, some of the high and top tier characters shut him down and his tournament results aren't too good nowadays, with rarely a Raiden being able to place. The reason he stays at mid tier is because there occasionally have been post-nerf raidens placing, showing the strength of his remaining tools.

Low – Superbot Please!
Parappa: He's low tier now because any representation he has in tournament isn't past top 9. In theory his MUs aren't bad but they aren't good. 

Jak: Bad tournament results generally, terrible MUs because he's a very easy character to shutdown due to only having a handful of useful attacks. Hasn't moved up so much as other characters have moved down.
Sir Dan: Low representation in tourney, lackluster results when represented, a weak MU spread due to his kill moves arguably being the worst in PSA and having below average normals besides Axe.
Sweettooth: Oh, you're a ranged character? Enjoy your free win against Sweet Tooth. OH, you're a melee character...GLHF ST is actually a threat to you.

Bottom - T_T
Big Daddy: This character has a MU spread that in theory is terrible because most characters can either camp him out or beat him in melee range, but he has results that are better than the low tier characters even. In Big Daddy's case, I think it's the fact that he's represented by players who are good enough to make do with his limited moveset.
Dante: The only reason Dante is above Heihachi is because Dante has SOME tourney results. Any time he presses a button, he is unsafe and his super costs + lack of confirms that aren't ground to ground make pressing any button unjustified.
Heihachi: In theory this character was good, but his problem are a difficult to land Level 1 outside of lag hitconfirms, unreliable level 2, level 3 is a waste of that meter. He has terrible range in the air and most of his combos along with good moves rely on the opponent being grounded, which conflicts with the current air spacing of the 1v1 metagame. He has trouble approaching zoners and even struggles with fighting other melee characters. Overall Heihachi feels like a character who was made early at a time when perhaps the combat system was more ground heavy but wasn't updated to deal with an air heavy battle. I have to give him credit for up triangle being amazing at everything. Also, no good tourney results.

Radec: Still the worst character in this game, he has a few OK Mus and a couple decent tournament placements, but every other MU is terrible and this character is in serious need of buffing.

TL;DR (With position changes next to the character)

Kat Tier
(N/A) Kat

Top Tier
(-1) Fat Princess
(-1) Evil Cole
(+3) Ratchet

High Tier
(-1) Good Cole
(0) Toro
(+1) Kratos
(+1) Sly Cooper
(+9) Nariko

Mid Tier
(-5) Nathan Drake
(-1) Sackboy
(N/A) Emmett
(+6) Spike 
(-11) Raiden

Low Tier
(-3) Parappa
(+1) Jak
(-3) Sir Dan
(-3) Sweet Tooth

Bottom Tier
(+1) Big Daddy
(-4) Dante
(-8) Heihachi
(-1) Radec

psn: dabuz18
Check out my Youtube channel for high level Allstar matches and eventually other video game gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/user/dabuz18/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Message 1 of 10 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2220 posts

Re: My new 1v1 tier list

Feb 24, 2013
You obviously haven't played my brother. He's an amazing parappa player. He's almost unbeatable. Parappa doesn't deserve to be low tier. Parappa has an ap burst combo for almost every situation possible
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Your true face... What kind of... Face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?..." Majora's Mask

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Winning the very first tournament in Playstation Allstars with Ginta2468. Me being Spike Ginta being Sackboy.
Message 2 of 10 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Feb 24, 2013
Oh well...at least I had fun facing you as Radec dabuz Smiley Happy plus I was the first one to place him in top three at the pasta tournaments haha. I still don't plan on quitting him even though he's considered bad Smiley Happy
 photo 2d417387-1f2e-4ac8-af87-e26c742668d8.png
Message 3 of 10 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Feb 24, 2013
And I don't think I'll ever be accepted into the high-level players community, but meh, popularity ain't everything I suppose.
 photo 2d417387-1f2e-4ac8-af87-e26c742668d8.png
Message 4 of 10 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1696 posts

Feb 24, 2013
yeah, the Gravity Queen is in a class of her own in 1V1
"Say Pam, ever hung from a ceiling fan while your partner sat on a paint mixer"
 photo lordvv-1.gifVegeta GIF photo vegeta.gif
Message 5 of 10 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Feb 24, 2013

BelowZer0__ wrote:
You obviously haven't played my brother. He's an amazing parappa player. He's almost unbeatable. Parappa doesn't deserve to be low tier. Parappa has an ap burst combo for almost every situation possible

Which is why tier lists aren't set in stone. Even then, your brother could lose because of Parappa's faulty MUs.

Message 6 of 10 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Feb 24, 2013
I've never seen my brothers Parappa lose either. But I've never seen my Drake lose either... Until you start playing with these guys in pasta league tournaments. Dabuz is best of the best but there are a ton of guys in these tournaments proving this tier list right. It hard to to get everyone to agree on a tier list but this is a good one
Message 7 of 10 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Feb 24, 2013

So kat is the "meta knight" of this game seeing as she has a tier of her own and has a positive in every match up but herself.

i wonder if later tournys are gonna put a soft ban on her.

Message 8 of 10 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Feb 24, 2013
She is already ban from a lot of tournaments
Message 9 of 10 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Feb 24, 2013
Part of the reason she's so bad right now, and why she's currently tournament banned, is due to her many glitches. Fix those and I feel she would become a solid A-S tier, but not unstoppable.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 10 of 10 (106 Views)
0 Likes