Reply
First Son
Registered: 10/16/2012
Offline
16 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012

Alas, Naughty Dog never owned the rights to Crash. They signed a contract with Universal Interactive (now Activision) right from day one of Crash development, meaning they got to create three games but Universal (and evidently Sony on the PS1 games) owned the rights to them. CTR was developed outside of the Universal contract whilst Naughty Dog were starting development on Jak and Daxter, but Sony still published it.

 

A bit of trivia, there.

 

Also, I don't think the initial post, here, was Crash fanboyism, either. He made a valid and unbiased post.

Message 11 of 24 (192 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/31/2010
Offline
101 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2012

barker09 wrote:

ps_plyr wrote:

not everyone shares the love for crash that you do and imo to say that a game of this nature with characters like rachet, kratos, jak etc etc etc duking it out should not be made because of your own personal feelings for one character is imo quite arrogant

 

personally i don't care if crash gets in or not he would be a great addition to the roster certainly but for me and others i'm quite sure he is not paramont to enjoyment with this game

 

as has been said many times if you or others can't get over the exclusion of crash move on to another game or start lobbying ativision for his inclusion 

 


You do realize what Crash means to Sony fans, right? And you do know who this game is for, right....? It was well-written, and wasn't riddled with fanboy nonsense. 


not every playstation fan shares the same feelings for crash...

 

and beyond that crash has not been important to playstation for over a decade... now that i think on it... wasn't his last game a xbox 360 exclusive?

 

i don't get why crash fans in general seem to be so egotistical

Message 12 of 24 (190 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/15/2009
Offline
722 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012
@ ps_plyr

I'm guessing you weren't around during the PS1 era, or we're too young to remember the effect that the Crash Bandicoot series had on the success of the PS1. I'll leave you to look up the sales figures if you are curious enough.

I don't believe my statements were made in arrogance, but more so as a testament to how successful this game could be with Crash's inclusion and the importance of Sony maintaining rights of it's successful licenses.

It doesn't matter to me if you don't care about Crash, just as you don't care that I do. But you can't deny that PASBR would've enjoyed a far higher amount of sales with his inclusion.
Message 13 of 24 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/15/2009
Offline
722 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012
Fuzzius,

Thanks for the detailed info regarding the rights fiasco with Crash. I still believe that Sony should have held fast with the character, as he was the closest thing they had ever had to a "Mario", but I understand that money talks. If they learn anything from PASBR, it may be that they might consider it this time around when it's time to renew publishing rights on Jak, Ratchet, and Sly.
Message 14 of 24 (179 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 10/16/2012
Offline
16 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012

Not a problem. I'm by and large a very big Crash fan, but that's not the reason I would push for Crash's inclusion in All-Stars Battle Royale. It's because I also believe characters such as Crash would help sell the game, just like you do. The fact that literally everyone I've talked to (in person) about the game ask if Crash is in and then are disappointed that he hasn't been announced speaks volumes, alone.

 

I also don't think Crash sold too badly outside of the PS1 era, either, on PS2 consoles (and elsewhere). I'm pretty sure I remember The Wrath of Cortex selling extremely well, as well as Twinsanity being a fan favourite post-PS1 days. I'm also certain Crash of the Titans, released in 2007, sold over a million on just the PS2 alone. Not sure if that's a million copies or a million dollars, but either way that's not too bad. Mind Over Mutant, the last Crash console game released, was NOT X-Box 360 only. I don't know how well that one sold, though.

 

I've noticed people online state more and more that they want Crash back. In my eyes, if Crash was included in All-Stars Battle Royale, it's win-win for both Activision and Superbot/Sony. Activision could use at as a testing ground in seeing how many people would pay to play as Crash again, effectively giving more of a hopeful future for Crash, as well as helping All-Stars sell to those who remember Crash with fondness. Win-win.

Message 15 of 24 (170 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/31/2010
Offline
101 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012

joshTX wrote:
@ ps_plyr

I'm guessing you weren't around during the PS1 era, or we're too young to remember the effect that the Crash Bandicoot series had on the success of the PS1. I'll leave you to look up the sales figures if you are curious enough.

I don't believe my statements were made in arrogance, but more so as a testament to how successful this game could be with Crash's inclusion and the importance of Sony maintaining rights of it's successful licenses.

It doesn't matter to me if you don't care about Crash, just as you don't care that I do. But you can't deny that PASBR would've enjoyed a far higher amount of sales with his inclusion.

i'm 23 and currently have the original disc for ctr in my possession and i also played crash 3 i believe...

 

 

" Sony should have made sure they were able to secure the rights to him and/or Spyro before putting this game into production."

 

implying that the game shouldn't have been made if they were unable to secure rights sounds arrogant imo

 

as there are others who also enjoy other characters...

 

 

" But you can't deny that PASBR would've enjoyed a far higher amount of sales with his inclusion."

 

maybe but the point is that as far as we know it isn't a situation that can be helped seeing as how crash isn't under sony's or superbot's control

Message 16 of 24 (157 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/13/2012
Offline
219 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012

ps_plyr wrote:

joshTX wrote:
@ ps_plyr

I'm guessing you weren't around during the PS1 era, or we're too young to remember the effect that the Crash Bandicoot series had on the success of the PS1. I'll leave you to look up the sales figures if you are curious enough.

I don't believe my statements were made in arrogance, but more so as a testament to how successful this game could be with Crash's inclusion and the importance of Sony maintaining rights of it's successful licenses.

It doesn't matter to me if you don't care about Crash, just as you don't care that I do. But you can't deny that PASBR would've enjoyed a far higher amount of sales with his inclusion.

i'm 23 and currently have the original disc for ctr in my possession and i also played crash 3 i believe...

 

 

" Sony should have made sure they were able to secure the rights to him and/or Spyro before putting this game into production."

 

implying that the game shouldn't have been made if they were unable to secure rights sounds arrogant imo

 

as there are others who also enjoy other characters...

 

 

" But you can't deny that PASBR would've enjoyed a far higher amount of sales with his inclusion."

 

maybe but the point is that as far as we know it isn't a situation that can be helped seeing as how crash isn't under sony's or superbot's control


I personally think it was a perfectly reasonable argument. I think it's more arrogant to talk to people like that just because you don't agree with their opinion. The vast majority of the playstation audience feel the same as joshTX and this forum is proof of that. The fact that you're so blatently being disrespectful of people's opinion just because you disagree with them is more arrogant than anything you have accused joshTX of.

Message 17 of 24 (141 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/15/2009
Offline
722 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012
Ps_plyr, you are correct in saying that I implied the game shouldn't have been made until they were able to acquire the rights to Crash. I just don't see how it's arrogant, as I already stated that the statement was made in reference to this game possibly needing his inclusion to be commercially successful. It wasn't so much about my personal love of Crash, though I do enjoy the character.

Your argument is valid, you want the game regardless, I can respect that. I hope it does well without the Bandicoot's presence, but I can't help but to continue to think that Sony should have done a better job on maintaining the license, knowing full well that at some point down the road, this issue would surely arise. Imagine if Nintendo hadn't locked up all of the rights to the Mario or "Jumpman" character and was then never able to use him for any historical or archival purposes at all? Lame indeed. But that's the scenario Sony computer entertainment put themselves in, the corner they've now painted themselves into.

Activision are probably being punks. Who knows. Their reputation would point to yes. Maybe they are asking for so much money that it's completely unreasonable and would cause Sony a complete loss on this game I get it. I guess the focal point of my post was more about how Sony really should've held the license all these years, knowing that Crash was such an important part of their history. If they had been wise then, we wouldnt all be struggling to come to terms with a Crash-less game now and the effect that I believe it will have on casual gamer purchases.
Message 18 of 24 (123 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 06/08/2012
Offline
1197 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 18, 2012
PG says it the best

"And one other thing…there should honestly be no reason why PlayStation’s first mascot, regardless of where he’s at nowadays, doesn’t make the game. I mean, unless Crash Bandicoot was sold by Activision to Nintendo, he should be in PSASBR in my opinion. And money is no excuse, either. Sony lost $4 billion between Fall ’06 and Fall ’09 because of the PlayStation 3 and they’re still around, doing just fine. So “if” Activision wanted say…a whopping $1 million, are you telling me that Sony wouldn’t buy him for SuperBot’s game? Obviously, if a company wouldn’t “allow” their character to intermingle with other 3rd party characters or be a “fighter”, that’s one thing, but if it was simply a matter of money…to me, Sony’s pockets are deep enough that they more likely than not “could” have made it happen."
Photobucket
Message 19 of 24 (90 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/16/2012
Offline
2925 posts
 

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 18, 2012
Words said wise
Message 20 of 24 (88 Views)
Reply
0 Likes