Highlighted
Oct 16 2012
By: joshTX Wastelander 722 posts

My analysis of the Crash situation

23 replies 735 views Edited Oct 16, 2012
Crash Bandicoot was/is far and away the most wanted character in PASBR and I feel that maybe Sony should have made sure they were able to secure the rights to him and/or Spyro before putting this game into production. Cloud and Snake are something else, they were always third party, but Crash was the FACE of playstation for a long time. Not including him in this game is always going to leave an asterisk on this title, a small blemish that will just never go away completely.

We can all sit and argue about how Activision is greedy or how much it cost and how it isn't Sony or SB's fault, but in the end, I believe this is a lesson in licensing learned by Sony. You NEVER, ever, allow your mascot characters to be used by anyone else or sold, and if you never outright owned the character to begin with, you better make **bleep** sure you that if you are going to use them as your mascot you sign strict licensing agreements with the company who owns them, and you renew that license when the contract is up.

Remember the Mario fiasco with Atari and Donkey Kong? Nintendo learned their lesson and won't make that mistake again. Even Microsoft renews their licenses on their most obscure properties to make sure they own them down the road. Microsoft managed to acquire the rights to Killer Instinct during the Rare buyout, and even though they never produced or published a KI title, they just recently renewed their license on it, meaning you won't see KI appear on any other console anytime soon. Sony could have learned from this.

Yet here we are a few years later, begging for a character who sold thousands upon thousands of PS1 units yet somehow isn't owned or even licensed by the company who profited from those sales and found themselves ahead of the almighty Nintendo by the end of the era, a feat which was basically unheard of up to that point. Hell, not even Sonic was ever able to achieve that.

Yet our poor hero Crash, used and abused by Sony then thrown to the wolves when something new came around, is suddenly sought after again in 2012, like that old girlfriend you haven't seen in 10 years but are suddenly attracted to again because she lost a bunch of weight and got a boob-job. Problem is, she doesn't want to have anything to do with you anymore.

At this point, I'm wondering if Crash feels the same.
Message 1 of 24 (735 Views)
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Re: My analysis of the Crash situation

Oct 16, 2012

i'm sure crash is in some apartment, thinking about what he could do with his life,

sitting on the couch, watching tv, drinking while also contemplating about other things...

Play For Fun!
Message 2 of 24 (730 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
722 posts

Oct 16, 2012
And still trying to rub the Henna tattoos out of the fur on his arms...
Message 3 of 24 (702 Views)
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Oct 16, 2012

Very well written.Very good points. Very well summarized. Hats off to you.

Message 4 of 24 (681 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
722 posts

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks Liam, I guess I wrote too long of an essay to get too many responses, but I appreciate that you took the time to read it.
Message 5 of 24 (674 Views)
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Oct 16, 2012

not everyone shares the love for crash that you do and imo to say that a game of this nature with characters like rachet, kratos, jak etc etc etc duking it out should not be made because of your own personal feelings for one character is imo quite arrogant

personally i don't care if crash gets in or not he would be a great addition to the roster certainly but for me and others i'm quite sure he is not paramont to enjoyment with this game

as has been said many times if you or others can't get over the exclusion of crash move on to another game or start lobbying ativision for his inclusion 

Message 6 of 24 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I never thought Activision were right to stop development of their Crash games from 2010 onwards. I never thought it was right that Activision would renew their rights to Crash, a year later, when they weren't planning to do anything with the franchise. Similarly, I never thought it was right that Sony never stood up and say 'actually, Crash did make a lot of money and was better off with us' and fight for the rights to the bandicoot. What's done is done, I guess, but if Sony didn't at least barter with Activision to get Crash into All-Stars Battle Royale, or at least didn't try, then that's a real shame.

The biggest problem to this, of course, is that in my attempts to araise awareness of this game outside of the 'net, the first answer I always have to give is 'No', because they first question is always 'Is Crash Bandicoot in this game?' Every time. So what's happened, now, is that even though the game looks very fun (and played fun in the earlier betas), none of my friends actually are interested since there's no Crash, no Snake and no Cloud, in particular. But I digress, a little.

Message 7 of 24 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1789 posts

Oct 16, 2012

ps_plyr wrote:

not everyone shares the love for crash that you do and imo to say that a game of this nature with characters like rachet, kratos, jak etc etc etc duking it out should not be made because of your own personal feelings for one character is imo quite arrogant

personally i don't care if crash gets in or not he would be a great addition to the roster certainly but for me and others i'm quite sure he is not paramont to enjoyment with this game

as has been said many times if you or others can't get over the exclusion of crash move on to another game or start lobbying ativision for his inclusion 

You do realize what Crash means to Sony fans, right? And you do know who this game is for, right....? It was well-written, and wasn't riddled with fanboy nonsense. 

Message 8 of 24 (611 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
949 posts

Oct 16, 2012

crash is going to be in the game, but as overpriced, day one dlc. because superbot didnt know he woul;d be that popular

Omar - "what are you guys doing? Why did you get rid of crash!"
Game devs - "we wanted to put in evil Cole so we had to get rid of everyone else the fans wanted"
Omar- "Oh nice, good idea. I didn't think of that"
Message 9 of 24 (595 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2219 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2012

If Naughty Dog didnt sell Crash then we wouldnt have Naughty Dog today.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Your true face... What kind of... Face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?..." Majora's Mask

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Winning the very first tournament in Playstation Allstars with Ginta2468. Me being Spike Ginta being Sackboy.
Message 10 of 24 (585 Views)
0 Likes