Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 21 2012
By: Dude5059 Uncharted Territory 1660 posts

My 2 cents on balancing

[ Edited ]
24 replies 309 views Edited Oct 21, 2012

as I've been playing the beta a lot recently, there's some things I've noticed that really need to be fixed. Don't yell at me how the game is perfectly balanced, especially not because I'm attacking your character. I love all of the characters in this beta. Almost all of them have some issues.

Let's start with Kratos. Kratos has the most balancing issues in my eyes. It's one thing to make a character noob-friendly, it's another to make him too easy to use. His range is unchangable, I understand that, but the fact that that range can do long combos and still get AP insanely quickly, while locking potentially all 3 enemies with ease into your combo seems a bit much. His AP gain is just too good. Furthermore, some of his hitboxes are too big. Especially the chain grab. That REALLY shouldn't be a homing move. Make it similar to Parappa. On top of that, it has too big of a hitbox and I've even seen it used twice in a combo. And you may disagree, but I feel that level 3 is a bit too long. I've seen people absolutely whiff it, but I've also seen people absolutely dominate with it. Especially with that homing Circle.

Hot topic #2: Radec. I use Radec. I LIKE Radec. But he's got some flaws to him. The Sniper rifle could use a small debuff, but it doesn't need a huge one. Maybe less knockback. When it comes down to it, it's easy to dodge and block because of it's slower startup. Maybe knock its AP gain down a touch, but it's really not that bad. I feel the rest of his moves are pretty decently balanced. The REAL Radec problem is Radec mentality on average. Most Radecs, as you've no doubt seen, spam the sniper. That gives Radec a bad name.

Sly. I don't like Sly. Just because he harrasses me. But he seems fine except for a few key things. I personally dislike the AP steal, for one. But I guess I can handle that. Not a huge balance steal. His lightning attacks are a bit too easily spammable, in my eyes. Adjust those a tad. The real problem with Sly is still his level 1. As far as what I've seen and even tried, it's not interruptable. You can knock Sly out of it, but Murray still thunderflops. It also comes out really fast. And it, being Murray and all, has a huge hitbox that's hard to avoid. 

Sweet Tooth's a different story. He's a good character, honest. But something about him doesn't quite feel strong enough. His level 1 feels insanely easy to interrupt, but maybe that's me. His level 2 could use a little... something? A lot of his attacks are knockback based and honestly don't put him in a very favorable position. The molotov feels lacking, but again, I could be using it wrong. The stomp also only hits enemies standing on the ground in a really small area, making it terrible in comparison to say, Fat Princesses. Maybe I'm just bad, but for having the heaviest AP gain, it sure takes a while to hit a level 3. But maybe that's a good thing, as his level 3 is absolutely fantastic. 

Parappa's a great character, too. He's almost perfectly balanced. The only one flaw I see with him is that his level 2 is so much better than his level 3. There really is NO reason to go for the level 3 except to show off. I also don't like how Parappa's hassle me all the time :1

Fat Princess also seems like a near perfect balance. Yet again, though, her problem is her level 3. It's the exact same story as Parappa. There's actually one other thing that occured to me. The mage's projectile seems a bit too slow, but again, could be using it wrong.

These are just what I feel. Some of you may feel differently about it. I know what you're thinking, honestly. And I'm tired of the "So and so is OP!" or "So and so is not OP at all!" threads, but this beta does have a few balancing issues. And frankly, that's what a beta's for. I'd love to hear what you guys think. If your reply is "No, you just suck", well, so be it. I'd prefer some honest feedback, though.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (309 Views)
Sackboy
517 posts

Re: My 2 cents on balancing

Oct 21, 2012

I can say with all honesty that I one hundred percent agree with you, sir.  All of these evaluations are fair.  On a different note, who do you like to use primarily? 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 21, 2012

stelmoslight wrote:

I can say with all honesty that I one hundred percent agree with you, sir.  All of these evaluations are fair.  On a different note, who do you like to use primarily? 

I use Radec primarily, and Sweet Tooth secondarily. I also like Parappa a lot.

I'm also decent as Kratos.

But who isn't?

Fresh to death
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
517 posts

Oct 21, 2012

Good man.  I'm a Sweet Tooth guy myself.  He feels very tactical when you play him right.  And I do think that while Sweet Tooth seems to gain AP quickly for the first bar, it seems to take agonizingly long to build it to a 3.  Maybe it's just because I keep having my AP ejected by items...but it always is a struggle.  I feel that it should be the same struggel for every character.  Especially Kratos.  I have never seen a Kratos player that doesn't reach a lvl 3 during a match. :/

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Oct 21, 2012

Kudos to you good sir, I do have to agree on everything, Kratos is for sure in need of some tweaking, but not TOO much otherwise he'll end up being sucky at best

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Oct 21, 2012
As I've said before, I'd love to see Radec's grenades (down + Triangle) explode on impact.

Kudos though I agree with many of the points you've made.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Oct 21, 2012

THATMATTKID wrote:
As I've said before, I'd love to see Radec's grenades (down + Triangle) explode on impact.

Kudos though I agree with many of the points you've made.

That would be nice, but I think there's a reason it doesn't do that. I think if that were to be the case, It would be much easier to spam. I believe it was one of his spam attacks previously, and it sure doesn't feel that way now. The way I use it is when I'm a level higher than everyone else. Examples being the platforms in Hades and the halls in Metropolis. There's no guaranteed hits, but you can get that guy that moves a bit farther or especially anyone who gets spiked up.

Fresh to death
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Oct 21, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

as I've been playing the beta a lot recently, there's some things I've noticed that really need to be fixed. Don't yell at me how the game is perfectly balanced, especially not because I'm attacking your character. I love all of the characters in this beta. Almost all of them have some issues.

Let's start with Kratos. Kratos has the most balancing issues in my eyes. It's one thing to make a character noob-friendly, it's another to make him too easy to use. His range is unchangable, I understand that, but the fact that that range can do long combos and still get AP insanely quickly, while locking potentially all 3 enemies with ease into your combo seems a bit much. His AP gain is just too good. Furthermore, some of his hitboxes are too big. Especially the chain grab. That REALLY shouldn't be a homing move. Make it similar to Parappa. On top of that, it has too big of a hitbox and I've even seen it used twice in a combo. And you may disagree, but I feel that level 3 is a bit too long. I've seen people absolutely whiff it, but I've also seen people absolutely dominate with it. Especially with that homing Circle.

Hot topic #2: Radec. I use Radec. I LIKE Radec. But he's got some flaws to him. The Sniper rifle could use a small debuff, but it doesn't need a huge one. Maybe less knockback. When it comes down to it, it's easy to dodge and block because of it's slower startup. Maybe knock its AP gain down a touch, but it's really not that bad. I feel the rest of his moves are pretty decently balanced. The REAL Radec problem is Radec mentality on average. Most Radecs, as you've no doubt seen, spam the sniper. That gives Radec a bad name.

I believe that Kratos has a faster AP gain because his supers are fairly bad. You might think that his level 3 is OP but in reality, it is not that great. The only reason people think it is OP is because of the maps, the two maps we play on in the beta are very horizontal and are not vertical. This makes Kratos' level 3 and Radec's spam sniper much more powerful than then they truely are. If there was a more vertical map in this beta, Kratos' level 3 would be significantly weakened since it would be much easier to completely avoid his super and people would use his level 2 more often. This is the same with Radec, people would not spam the sniper as much since it would be less useful.

This game is actually really balanced, characters have very diverse play styles, but since the maps are horizonal, this makes characters such as Kratos and Radec much better than other characters such as Fat Princess and Parappa.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Oct 21, 2012

There are actually a couple other moves that come to mind that can honestly use some improvements. Sweet Tooth's Blade Throw, for instance. This attacks does not accomplish much in my eyes. I think this should have a bit more range to it and be a kind of short-medium ranged projectile. Kinda like the molotov is without charging or with very basic charging. I also feel that Parappa's ground down and up triangle attacks are relatively useless. Could be using those wrong.

In terms of supers, Radec's level 1 doesn't feel that great (though I've heard otherwise). It feels like it's a 1 kill thing. Granted, that 1 kill is easy, but it feels hard to get 3. Sweet Tooth's 2 isn't that great, as I've said (though I have gotten 3 from it). Parappa's 1 feels bad, but if you get the right situation it CAN net 3. His level 2 seems too good, in comparison to his other ones. FP's level 3 feels bad, it really might as well be a screen wipe. 

Fresh to death
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 21, 2012

@ miamiheatowns

I can agree, but only to a degree. His supers aren't bad. His level 1 is a bit slower, yes, but it's still very easy to net kills, even on small platforms. His level 2 is BETTER in verticality. He can get that no problem. That kinda screws that fact over. And his level 3 isn't affected by verticality problems because the sword goes in wide arcs and the homing blasts. I would hate to see his supers on a vertical stage like Alden's towers. His only slightly bad super is his level 1. His level 2 only seems like a bad option, but in vertical maps it will destroy the competition. His level 3 just lasts a bit too long.

I can and will agree on the Sniper aspect, though. Radec won't be very good on Alden's tower.

Fresh to death
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (211 Views)
0 Likes