Jul 02 2012
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1821 posts
Accepted Solution

Moveset/Unlockables, Dart from Legend of Dragoon

[ Edited ]
136 replies 7674 views Edited Nov 21, 2013

lod-dart-feld.jpg

I'm trying to put together a move-list for Dart Feld from The Legend of Dragoon if he were playable in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. This first-party game still has a devoted fanbase 13 years after its release.

Since LoD is a turn-based RPG, I've made PlayStationSquare.png and PlayStationTriangle.png into the melee buttons and PlayStationCircle.png the item button (combat in LoD is mainly divided by Additions, Dragoon-transformations and Items). All his Additions can be seen here.

CombosLoD's main form of melee attacking is a series of timing-based button commands called Additions in which the player quickly hits the PlayStationCross.png button in rhythm with the strikes. Once an Addition is completed the character will automatically use a powerful finisher while shouting the name of the attack. I thought a good way to translate Additions into fighting terms would be to make Dart combo-heavy fighter, despite the floaty, aerial gameplay of PSASBR (making him focused on his ground-game). When Dart completes an Addition without missing a single hit on one or more targets, the player can add a Finishing Strike that gains him tons of AP by hitting either  PlayStationSquare.png or PlayStationTriangle.png . Again, all his Additions can be seen here.

Due to the nature of the Additions System and the initial slash used to start all his combos, his ground-based PlayStationSquare.png and  or  PlayStationSquare.png attacks are functionally identical, besides the ability to hold down the forward-moving attacks to rush ahead. This gives Burning Rush and the Moon Strike a certain edge over the other Additions.

As of 1/19/2013, I'll be adding in some extra information on the logistics of the attacks, and I'll be using lingo from the Official Prima Guide. I want to make this build something SuperBot/SCE Santa Monica could theoretically implement.

As of 4/3/2013, I've changed the Level 2 Super from the Burning Wave item to Final Burst (originally a move used during his Level 3 Super). I've also edited the commands for the Flame Shot and Explosion quite a bit: Flame Shot now covers the entirety of the PlayStationTriangle.png button and has some improved utility while Explosion has been given a few more options.

As of 6/30/2013, I've created a possible second Level 3 Super as an alternative to my original idea to have Dart transform into the Red-Eyed Dragoon, instead going with the Divine Dragoon as his Level 3. I'll have to get some feedback on which one sounds like the better Level 3.

As of 7/1/2013, I've added a number of extra content, like Minions, Items, Backgrounds, a Main Menu Theme, and some alternate colors for Dart's outfit. I also have character-particular interactions with the other game elements, like Heihachi's Level 3 Super and the Gargoyle on The Graveyard stage.

As of 9/5/2013, I've thrown out the AP-Draining system from the list of Additions. Now when Dart completes an Addition, he'll simply get a lot of AP; I've adjusted his AP-parameters quite a bit to suit this change (the AP-gain for a completed Addition is the same as before, except the moves leading up to the finisher gain less AP now while the Finishers gains more, forcing you to reply on them). I'll admit that not having this makes the Additions feel less special, but I'm hoping the AP-output I've given them will be enough to compensate. I'm also getting rid of the Quick Slash's ability to renew Additions ( PlayStationCircle.png + (Fast) PlayStationSquare.png). It'll instead act as a Running Slash (mentioned later). In place of this, I've instead added a new move that works quite a bit like Nariko's Key Pose system called Finished Addition (you can read about it below). I've also added a new function: any  or  + PlayStationSquare.png attack can now be held down, letting Dart run forward in the same way he does in his own games. Finally, I'm getting rid of Double Slash: the ability to use PlayStationSquare.png + PlayStationTriangle.png makes the idea of it having its own move-slot redundant. He'll now yell "Double Slash!" after performing the aforementioned command.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: Dart's Sword is 2 character-lengths in length, the same as with Raiden and Dante. An example is a character length would be those boxes/tiles seen in Practice-Mode. They're wide enough to hold most of the roster while standing straight (except Big Daddy, though he looks like he should occupy 2 character-lengths of space while he instead occupies only 1½).

Here's some a pretty decent close-up of the blade from the in-game engine:

Dart's_Sword.png

PlayStationSquare.png = Opening Slash

• Properties: Here's the first sword attack used to start all his Additions (like in his own game). I've given it its on section because it's quite important. These properties listed here account for every single Addition and combo listed below. You'll notice when I'm bringing up totals that I won't be mentioning this attack in the final number, because it should be self-evident.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: 5 AP on the attack. This move causes a short Lift on aerial targets and standard hit-stun on grounded targets. Opponents hit with it are pushed back ½ a character-length.
  • Movement: The slash moves Dart a character-length forward.
  • Cancels Into: Effectively everything.
  • Timing: Instant.

or  + PlayStationSquare.png = Running Slash

• Properties: Like the above, this move is an opening for two Additions, so it gets its own section. Unlike the above, you can hold down the attack to send Dart running forward for long distances, making it a decent dash as well (but it also comes with some cool-down/recovery on whiff, so don't expect to use it outside of short bursts of speed). Dart will automatically slash any opponent he comes into contact with while doing this. Again, these properties apply to every attack inside this move's tree, and it'll counted towards every final list of data.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The slash hits for 2 AP and causes standard hit-stun to both grounded and aerial targets. Opponents hit with it are pushed back a full character-length.
  • Movement: Dart can run up to 7 character-lengths while doing this. When stopping to slash his enemy, he's planted in place.
  • Cancels Into: Heavy Slash, Burning Rush, Quick Moon Strike, Half-Moon Strike and Moon Strike.
  • Timing: This move is as fast as the Coles using a Grind. Dart can cover a total of 7 character-lengths character-lengths in 3/4 of a second (Good Cole can cover 13 character-lengths in 1.3 of a second). However there's quite a bit of recovery on the move should he encounter no one during the attack; he has to wait half a second on whiff.

PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Volcano

• Properties: A 3-hit combo, 4 if you can complete it. If you can land all three attacks perfectly, Dart will add an upward stab.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The second and third strikes net 5 AP each, and the the Finisher nets 20 AP for a total of 35 AP. All three strikes causes standard hit-stun on grounded targets, while the Finisher causes an Eject Roll on grounded targets and an Eject Tornado on aerial targets.
  • Movement: The second, third and Finishing Strike travel a character-length forward each, for a total of 4 character-lengths of distance covered.
  • Cancels Into: Nothing. Once you've pressed PlayStationSquare.png twice in a row, this becomes a full commitment.
  • TimingInstant, like any melee combo. The Finisher arrives at less than 0.5 of a second (not quite instant, but still hardly escapable under most circumstances).

or  + PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Burning Rush

• PropertiesA 2-hit combo, 3 if you can complete it. If you can land both strikes, Dart will add an upward slash.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The second strike (the kick after Running Slash) hits for 3 AP while the Finisher hits for 20 AP for a total of 25 AP. The opening and second strike cause standard Hit-Stun while the Finisher causes a short Lift on hit.
  • Movement: The second strike (the kick) travels  character-lengths forward while the Finisher travels also travels 1½ for a total of 3 character-lengths of distance across the entire attack.
  • Cancels Into: Moon Strike for the first hit only.
  • Timing: Instant for the first two attacks. The Finisher arrives arrives at less than 0.5 of a second.

(Air) PlayStationSquare.png = Aerial Slash

• PropertiesBasically, this is the Dart's standard slash seen at the start of his every Addition, but done from the air. Aimed downward, this move covers nearly 180 degrees in front of Dart while knocking targets back to earth where you most want them. You can think of it as Dart's version of Sir Daniel's Hero Sword Air Slam, which Dan uses to make up for his lack of aerial combos.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: Single attack for 15 AP. Causes an instant/Hard Knock-Down.
  • Movement: None, to the point that Dart's falling-rate is reduced to practical flotation while using it.
  • Note: This is an original attack.

(Air)  or ⇒ PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png Volcano Emission

• PropertiesThis performs a slightly faster version of the Volcano's first three strikes in the air.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The first two attacks hit for 5 AP each while the third attack hits for 10 AP for a 20 AP total. Causes an Eject Spiral on finish.
  • Movement: None. Dart is effectively suspended in mid-air during this move.
  • Cancels Into: Rising Dance, Falling Moon, Heavy Slash, Blazing Kick, Dynamo Drop
  • Note: This is an original attack.

Hold Down PlayStationSquare.png during Opening Slash, PlayStationSquare.png = Crush Dance Inception

• Properties: Holding down during an Opening Slash will cause Dart to begin an animation for a new combo-tree by spinning in place with his blade swinging 360 degrees around him. Hitting PlayStationSquare.png again causes him to reverse direction and spin again for 3 hits total, maybe more since it covers both sides. Note that the properties I provide here apply to every other move in this combo-tree.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The first and second spinning attack cause 5 AP damage each for a 15 AP total. They both give off standard Hit-Stun.
  • Movement: The entire attack plants him in place.
  • Cancels IntoPlayStationSquare.png or PlayStationTriangle.png
  • Timing: The first spin arrives at 0.5 of a second, and the second spin does as well.

Hold Down PlayStationSquare.png during Opening SlashPlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Quick Crush Dance

• Properties: After performing the Crush Dance Inception, Dart quickly thrusts the sword forward for a 4-hit combo. This happens to be the 4th strike of the standard Crush Dance. The properties of this specialized stab mostly apply to the Crush Dance as well.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The 4th (and final) stab causes an Eject Roll on hit and gains 5 AP for a 20-AP total.
  • Movement: The stab pushes Dart ½ a character-length forward.
  • Timing: The stab is instant.
  • Note: This attack is indistinguishable from an actual Crush Dance, making it the perfect fake-out tactic. The main difference is that this stab causes an Eject Roll while a normal Crush Dance's stab is meant to set your target up for the special Finisher. You'll be using this if you absolutely need to expel an enemy from your personal space. Also note that this is an original attack.

Hold Down PlayStationSquare.png during Opening Slash, PlayStationSquare.png PlayStationTriangle.png , PlayStationTriangle.png = Crush Dance

• PropertiesThe full version of a 4-hit combo that can potentially become a 5-hitter if you're able to land the whole thing. After performing the Crush Dance Inception, Dart thrusts his sword forward (using PlayStationTriangle.png unlike the Quick Crush Dance) and continues onto the Finisher by jumping high up, slicing the blade vertically from their hide.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The Crash Dance Inception gains 15 AP overall, the stab gains 5 and the finisher gains 20 for a total of 40 AP for landing the entire attack. The 4th strike (the stab) causes a Butt-Drop, and the last strike causes a Lift on completion.
  • Movement: The Finisher plants him in place but covers a large vertical area (including on aerial targets).
  • Timing: It's irrelevent; the Finisher comes in after a Butt-Drop, so opponents hit with it won't be getting away.

or  + PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationTriangle.png , PlayStationTriangle.png = Quick Moon Strike

• Properties: A 4-hit combo for if you for some reason can't commit to the entire Moon Strike. After completing the first two slashes of the attack, Dart slams the blade upon the enemy from his diagonal right. This happens to be the 3rd strike of the normal Moon Strike.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The second slash in this attack gains 3 AP, and the last two gain 5 for a total of 15. The 2nd slash (the first PlayStationTriangle.png) causes a Kneel/Knee-Drop while the finishing blow causes an instant/Hard Knock-Down.
  • Movement: The 2nd, 3rd and final strike move a character-length each for 3 total.
  • Note: The advantage here is that this incomplete Moon Strike also ends in a Hard Knock-Down, so if you need to knock someone down, this is a simple means to do so.

or  + PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationTriangle.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Half-Moon Strike

• Properties: A 5-hit combo for if you for some reason can't commit to the entire Moon Strike. Upon completing the Running Slash and the two unique slashes described above, Dart skips the 4th slash and instead stabs the enemy to end it.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The second slash in this attack gains 3 AP, and the next slash gains 5 and the final stab gains 10 for a total of 20. Like twith Quick Moon Strike, the 2nd slash (the first PlayStationTriangle.png) causes a Kneel/Knee-Drop while the move finishes with an Eject Roll from the stab.
  • MovementThe 2nd, 3rd, 4th and final strike move a character-lengths each for 4 total.
  • Timing: Instant
  • Note: Like the Quick Crush Dance, this ends in an Eject Roll instead of setting your opponent up for a Finisher, letting you get them off your turf when needed.

or  + PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationTriangle.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationTriangle.png PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Moon Strike

• Properties: A 6-hit combo, 7 if you can complete it. It starts with a series of 4 slashes before Dart stabs the target twice and finishes with a downward thrust, planting the blade deep into the enemy's face/head.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The second slash gains 3 AP, the 3rd and 4th each gain 5 AP, the 5th and 6th strike net 7 and 8 AP respectively while the finishing strike deals out 20 AP for a total of 50 AP for landing the entire thing. As with the rest of the combos in the Moon Strike tree, the 2nd slash (PlayStationTriangle.png) as well as the 4th and 6th cause a Kneel/Knee-Drop, the rest cause normal Hit-Stun while the Finishing strike causes an instant/Hard Knock-Down.
  • Movement: The 2nd, 3rd and 4th strikes move a character-length each, and the 5th, 6th and Finishing strike move ahead by ½ a character-length each for a total of 6 character-lengths across the entire attack.
  • Timing: The entire move is mostly instant while the Finishing Strike takes half a second to activate.

+ PlayStationSquare.png (Ground and Air) Rising Dance

• Properties: This single-hit attack is taken from the Crush Dance (and happens to be its Finisher). Dart jumps upward, raising the sword in a wide-area vertical slice. You can see this particular attack here (minus the stab). It covers a nearly 180 degrees in front of Dart's face and leaves him in the air on completion.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: Single hit for 10 AP. Causes a Lift on hit.
  • Movement: Less than a single jump in height, horizontally plants Dart in place.

+ PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png (Ground and Air) = Falling Moon

• Properties: Note that these controls apply to the ground version. The aerial version requires a simple  + PlayStationSquare.png . This is a variation of the Moon Strike, using its last two hits (the stab and the finisher). Dart stabs the opponent in front of him before planting the sword into the stricken target, flooring them instantly with a Hard Knock-Down. Using it from the air will cause Dart to skip the initial stab and instead drop heavily towards the ground, catching grounded opponents in the stab. You can see this move here.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The first stab hits for 5 AP while the sword-planting stab gains 10 for a 15 total. The initial stab causes a Butt-Drop while the finishing sword plant causes an instant/Hard Knock-Down.
  • Movement: The initial stab plants Dart in place while the follow-up moves him ½ a character-length forward.
  • Cancels Into: If you only use the initial stab before the sword plant, Rising Dance, Heavy Slash, Crush Spin.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air) Heavy Slash

• PropertiesDart simply performs the second strike of the Double Slash (is chargeable). Much like Kratos' Plume of Prometheus, this move is very easily canceled from a neutral PlayStationSquare.png and  + PlayStationSquare.png (though only the first hit) and if you perform it, Dart will shout "Double Slash!" It exists as just another road you can take in your combo-options.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: Single hit for 25 AP, 35 on charge and can guard-break when charged. Causes an Eject Tornado on hit.
  • Movement: A single character-length forward, which helps differentiate it from a normal Double Slash; it can also move another character-length atop this when charged for a total of 2. When used in the air, it travels 1½ character-lengths automatically.
  • Timing: About 0.5 a second on start-up, but this can be mitigated when it cancels from PlayStationSquare.png . It has a pretty long cool-down on whiff (0.75 of a second).

or  + PlayStationTriangle.pngPlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air) Crushing Spin

• Properties: A move taken from the 2nd and 3rd strike of the Crush Dance. Dart quickly spins, winding up to slash in front of him before turning to slash again, swinging the blade 360 degrees both times. Used in the air, Dart will fall at normal speed while using it. The move can be seen here.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: Twos hits on either side for 5 AP per swing. Causes standard Hit-Stun.
  • Movement: Plants Dart in place.
  • Timing: Requires 0.5 a second of start-up.

+ PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air) Blazing Kick

• PropertiesThis is a technique taken from his ultimate Addition, the Blazing Dynamo (which I've also made his Level 1 Super). Dart flips upwards and performs a flying kick in the air, affecting a reasonably-large area. Similar to Parappa's Uppercut, if the player holds it down, the move is angled downward, and the jump-height of the initial flip should give him a clear shot of the opponent's head if they're around Kratos or Drake's height. If the player simply taps the command, Dart will kick more upward, angled to affect any opponent at jump-height. The move lacks the initial flip when used from the air, and Dart simply performs the kick from where he is (this version is angled downward by default).
  • Hit-Effects and AP-GainSingle hit for 30 APCauses a different hit-effect depending on how it's aimed and how the opponent is hit: it causes an Eject Tornado at the higher angle while throwing opponents into an Eject Roll at lower angles. All Aerial Opponents are sent into an Eject Tornado by default.
  • MovementLess than full jump-heightmoves him ½ a character-length horizontally.
  • Cancels Into: When used from the ground, during the initial flip and before the kick activates, Volcano Emission, Falling Moon, Rising Dance, Crush Spin and Dynamo Drop.
  • Timing: The flip is instant but the kick takes 0.25 of a second to start. The kick is instant when used in the air.

+ PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air) = Dynamo Drop

• Properties: This is also a move taken from the Blazing Dynamo (it's also normally the finishing move for the entire attack). Dart jumps upward (nearly indistinguishable from a Blazing Kick) and spins vertically with his sword held above his head, slicing anyone he comes into contact before performing a three-point landing with a hard slash that has his full weight pressed into the blade, like a reversed version of Spike's Stun Club Whirlwind. As with Blazing Kick, the move lacks the initial flip when used in the air; Dart simply starts the attack immediately. You can see these last two moves here and here as well (and here too).
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: The move covers a circle around Dart per spin, but when used from the ground Dart will perform only one full spin before landing (you can reasonably expect to hit a ground opponent standing in front of you twice in total). When used in the air, he can perform 3 revolutions before stopping (or reaching the ground). Any successful slash nets 5 AP while the landing nets 20 AP. Both versions of the attack cause standard Hit-Stun for each sword swipe while causing an instant/Hard Knock-Down on landing.
  • MovementLess than full jump-height. Used from the ground, the attack moves him ½ a character-length horizontallyThe falling speed for the attack is slightly faster than usual falling speed.
  • Cancels IntoWhen used from the ground before the spin starts, Volcano Emission, Falling Moon, Rising Dance, Crush Spin and Blazing Kick. If the attack is in full effect after the flip ends, it becomes a full commitment.
  • TimingThe flip is instant but the spin takes 0.5 of a second to start. The entire attack is instant when used in the air.

PlayStationCircle.png (During any Addition) = Finished Addition

• Properties: This allows Dart to cancel any Addition wherever it is, and he'll hold whatever last pose he was in as a sort of stance that opens up new attacks. During this state, Dart can't activate any Super, but he can cancel into some new move or the player can press back to cause Dart to perform a lengthened Dodge backward from where he's standing (unlike Nariko's Key Pose stance, you can't dodge forward with this). If you want some story justification, basically Dart missed his last Addition but received an extra turn to do something else (maybe someone on his team used the Speed Up item on him). It should be noted that the Opening Slash and Running Slash can't be canceled (so there's no way to escape Running Slash's cool-down).
  • Movement: This plants Dart in place wherever he is.
  • Cancels Into: Quick Slash, Quick Heavy Slash, Gushing Magma, Burn Out, Psychedelic Bomb X, Spirit Potion. Cancelling into any Item Attack input lowers the preperation-time on it.
  • Note: Since you can't Super after using this, I've more-or-less made sure that Dart has no built-in Kill-Confirms.

PlayStationCircle.png + (Fast) PlayStationSquare.png = Quick Slash

• PropertiesAfter you've used PlayStationCircle.png to cancel an active combo, you can now have Dart break into a run to deliver a normal slash that causes a Butt-Drop. Much like Heihachi's Electric Wind God Fist and Demon Breath, this requires some finger-speed. The AP-Gain is identical to a Opening Slash.
  • Movement: Runs a total of 5 character-lengths, and the attack will activate at 1 character-length of distance from any potential target.
  • Cancels Into: Heavy Slash (10 AP).
  • Timing: Identical to Running Slash.
  • Note: The ability to cancel into what's essentially a weaker Double Slash from a run should help to get opponents out of your face.

PlayStationCircle.png + (Fast) PlayStationTriangle.png Quick Heavy Slash

• Properties: After you've used PlayStationCircle.png to cancel an active combo, this move can let you cancel your active combo and send your enemy flying into an Eject Tornado with the Double Slash's finishing strike. Like the above attack, this also requires some finger-speed. The Hit-Effects, AP-Gain, Movement, and Timing for this attack are identical to Heavy Slash PlayStationTriangle.png (including the ability to charge it).

Item Moves: All of these look identical when thrown; a bright object which Dart will toss in some way and activate where it lands. Dart is allowed to hold onto them for a second, and they're carried around like standard in-game items to be used on the release of PlayStationCircle.png. They all come with a respective default trajectory, but upon being conjured up, some of them the player can input  or  to throw them forward like Hedgehog Grenade or  to toss it at Dart's feet. As a small homage, Dart is given a unique animation for throwing items that more closely mirrors the item-throwing animation seen in his home game.

or  + PlayStationCircle.png = Burn Out

• PropertiesThis Attack item creates a tall, persistent flame in a small area. It can be seen here. If the developers ever decided to impliment my Fire Status Effect idea, this attack would cause it.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: 10 AP per second when opponents stand in the fire for a possible 30 AP. Causes a distinct slowing reaction to those hit with it, lowering their walking-speed slightly
  • Timing: Instant upon landing. Lasts 3 seconds.
  • Note: This item is thrown forward in a standard item arc, and can be tossed at Dart's feet by pressing  (this can also be done in the air).

Hold Down PlayStationCircle.png = Gushing Magma

• PropertiesThis Attack Item creates a localized eruption in which a series of geysers explode with magma around a large area. It can be seen here. The move is a twice the size of Burn Out.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: 5 AP per 0.5 of a second for a possible 45 AP gained. Causes a Twitch-Effect on hit.
  • Timing: Instant upon landing. Lasts 4.5 seconds
  • Note: This item is thrown at Dart's feet by default, but once it's been conjured, it can be thrown forward in a standard item-arc by inputting  or .

+ PlayStationCircle.png = Psychedelic Bomb X

• PropetiesThis non-elemental Attack Item creates a swirling maelstrom of multiple colors, which Dart would throw above his head. It can be seen here. The move is rather large (twice as big as Radec's Teslite Grenade) but takes the longest to start up of all the items.
  • Hit-Effects and AP-Gain: Hits 4 times at 5 AP for 20 AP total. Has the interesting effect of pulling opponents into its center before exploding, launching them into an Eject Tornado.
  • Timing: When activated normally, the item will be tossed above Dart's head, requiring a full second to start up. If thrown in an arc, the item raises up to jump-height and begins after 1.5 seconds.
  • NoteThis item is thrown above Dart's head by default and will activate in the air, but can be thrown forward in a standard item-arc by inputting  or  upon release.

+ PlayStationCircle.png = Spirit Potion:

• PropertiesDart will stand in place and throw a shiny object upon himself, which generates AP for him
  • TimingOnce completed, Dart can't do this move until 15 seconds have passed. If he attempts to, he'll be forced to stand in place, going through the animation without the chance to block on-coming attacks
  • NoteIn his own game, the Spirit Potion builds up your Special Power meter, which allows you to become a Dragoon. It's kind of rare.

Throws = Madness Hero: This six-hit combo is one of his Additions, but it wouldn't fit with the combo-scheme I have going. To make it look somewhat unique, it lacks Dart's usual Opening Slash. In LoD, it happens to be his weakest Addition, but it generates a lot of Special Power, which fits in pretty well with throws depleting AP. The entire attack can be seen here.

•  or  + Throw = Madness Hero Part 1: Dart uses the 2nd a 3rd strike of the Madness Hero in which he slashes upward before quickly moving into a diagonal slash from his right that sends enemies flying.
  •  + Throw = Madness Hero Part 2: Dart uses the 4th and 5th strike of the Madness Hero in which he performs a side-ways slash from his left before raising the blade diagonally upward from his right to send enemies into the sky.
  •  + Throw = Madness Hero Part 3: This is the finishing strike of a completed Madness Hero in which Dart slams the blade hard upon the enemy from above his head, flooring them instantly.

Block = Standard animation for the "Guard" command.

Dodge = Since it's a turn-based RPG, characters jump backwards a long distance to their original standing position after completing an attack. Giving him a back-ward dodge is a tongue-in-cheek way of acknowledging that. This same back-dash is also seen during the Finished Addition attack, when the player pressed back.

Level 1 Super = Blazing Dynamo (AP Cost: 150)

• PropertiesThis is Dart's ultimate Addition, for a total of eight powerful hits. The entire move can be seen hereThe main draw-back is the sheer length of the Super and the fact that it locks him in the direction he's facing for the entire process, leaving him open to a counter.
  • Movement: The first 4 attacks each move him forward ½ a character-length while the final 4 hits move him a full character-length each (this isn't totally consistent with the moves I've taken from this Addition detailed above) for a total of 6 character-lengths.
  • Timing: Instant activation. While ideally it'd be faster than its LoD incarnation, it's still a very long-lasting Super at 3 seconds (the same as Ratchet's RYNO).

Level 2 Super = Final Burst (AP Cost: 400)

• Properties: Dart enters his Dragoon transformation during the brief slow-down seen in all Level 2 Supers. Afterwards his wings ignite in flame and he envelopes himself in a veil of fire. He then flies forward like a bullet, his sword pointed outward to rush past (and likely incinerate) anything in his path, leaving a steady flow of lava; once complete, he'll release a wave of fire from a single flap of his wings, which go back to normal after this. See it here. The move is a bit larger than Cole's Ionic Freeze, but Dart has to put himself at risk by personally ramming the opponent. The entire pathway the move takes can be ever-so-slightly directed up or down.
  • Movement: Reaches 10 character-lengths in 0.5 a second (very fast, to say the least, about the same as Jak's flight during his Level 3).
  • Area-Effect: The lava-flow covers 4 character-lengths on the site of the first kill while the flaming wave covers 3 character-lengths around Dart for a short second.
  • Timing: Upon input, the move requires 1.5 seconds to activate (Dart enters a short cinematic).

Level 3 Super = Dragoon Spirit of the Red-Eyed Dragon (AP Cost: 750)

• Properties: This is a Transformation in which Dart is able to use Dragoon magic, fly/float and his attack-style becomes wildly different but still based around swordsmanship. You can see the transformation here (though it would have to be shortened significantly). Because he's constantly hovering in this mode, there's no distinction between ground and aerial attacks; any move causing him to touch the ground will only do so inside that instance, and he'll be back in the air after it ends. Most of his Dragoon magic has a wide area of effect, so each spell comes with a notably lengthy activation.
  • Timing: Lasts 12 seconds.
  • Music: Dart's Theme (a remix) plays (kind of like when he first transformed and thrashed Kongol).

Dart_dragon1.jpg

Dragoon Controls:

or PlayStationCross.png = Dragoon Flight

• PropertiesThis has him ascend, descend or rush rapidly within less than a second through the air. This is mildly directable after use.
  • Movement: 15 character-lengths of horizontal distance or half the height of Practice Stage (Large) when fully held down. 
  • Timing: 1 second to reach full distance.

(Fast) PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Dragoon Addition

• PropertiesThis accesses a floaty, 5-hit combo, which Dart uses wherever he's standing (it requires very fast mashing to pull the entire thing off). See it here.
  • Movement: Dart covers a wide length of area with this one. The first attack travels at least 7 character-lengths until it reaches someone, the next two attacks both move 3 character-lengths while covering a large vertical space and the the finishing drill/explosion travels 5 character-lengths with the explosion covering 3 character-lengths of space at the impact-site for 6 character-lengths total.

or PlayStationCross.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Dragoon Slash

• Properties: This has Dart fly forward for a quick swipe with his sword. This is basically the first strike of the Dragoon Addition mentioned above.
  • Movement/Timing: The same as Dragoon Flight.

+ PlayStationCross.png PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png Dragoon Dive

• PropertiesThis move causes Dart to fly up high and then dive bomb downward with powerful slash. Shortly after this he takes to the air again and rushes diagonally downward to do a side-ways swipe of his sword on any enemy encountered. This is essentially the second and third strike of the Dragoon Addition mentioned above. This move has tremendous mobility, so it could honestly be hard to control in some ways. It's a bit similar to Kratos' PlayStationTriangle.png attack during his Level 3 Super.
  • Movement/TimingThe same as Dragoon Flight.

PlayStationCross.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Dragoon Finisher

• PropertiesDart rushes diagonally downward, spinning like a drill and leaving a large blast where he lands. This is basically the last two hits of the Dragoon Addition mentioned above.

PlayStationTriangle.pngFlame Shot

• Properties: This has him volley a very large fireball down to the ground in front of him, which leaves a small-sized lingering fire. See it here. The shot shoots forward by default, but can be aimed upward with  ,downward with  or can be held anywhere under 3 seconds to fire it anywhere within 360 degrees.
  • Timing: 0.5 of a second to activate.

or  or ⇒ PlayStationCircle.png = Explosion

• Properties: Dart jumps upward before dropping heavily, plunging his sword into the ground to create a traveling stream of flames which, past a certain point begins spraying out exploding fireballs over a large area. It can be seen here.
  • Area-Effect: The Explosion's stream has no drop-off range, and activates as soon as the stream touches or travels under an opponent, blasting across 4 character-lengths on either side in that a area for 8 character-lengths total.
  • Timing: The move takes 1.5 seconds to activate and the explosion lasts just as long.

PlayStationCircle.png = Quick Explosion

•  Properties: This move has Dart send the Explosion stream just 5 character-lengths out front of himself. It's a bit smaller than a standard Explosion.
  • Area-Effect: 6 character-length sized blast.
  • Timing: 1 second to activate and lasts the same amount.

Neutral PlayStationCircle.png = Burst

• PropertiesThis move has Dart unleash a wave of fire from a single stroke from his wings, taken from the ending of his Level 2 Super, the Final Burst.
  • Area-Effect: The wave covers 4 character-lengths on either side of Dart for 8 in total.
  • Timing0.5 of a second to activate.

Alternative Level 3 SuperDragoon Spirit of the Divine Dragon (AP Cost: 750)

We all know that no concept is ever final in the planning phase. For those of you none too keen to see the Divine Dragoon Spirit left without any acknowledgment, here’s a possible version of the Level 3 Super that makes Dart more like Jak, with the Red-Eyed Dragoon Spirit only showing up as a Level 2 in the same way Dark Jak can only show up for his respective Level 2 Super.

dartdivinedragoon.jpg

• Properties: This is a Transformation in which Dart is able to use Dragoon magic, fly/float and his attack-style becomes wildly different. You can see it here. Because he's constantly hovering in this mode, there's no distinction between ground and aerial attacks; any move causing him to touch the ground will only do so inside that instance, and he'll be back in the air after it ends. Most of his Dragoon magic has a wide area of effect, so each spell comes with a notably lengthy activation.
  • Timing: Lasts 11 seconds.
  • MusicDart's Theme

PlayStationCross.png = Functionally identical to its purpose as the Red-Eyed Dragoon.

PlayStationSquare.png = These moves are largely the same as with the Red-Eyed Dragoon.

PlayStationTriangle.png = This is used for Dart's Divine Dragon Gatling/Ball.

PlayStationCircle.png = This is used for Dart's Divine Dragon Cannon.

Divine Dragoon Controls:

or PlayStationCross.png = Dragoon Flight

• PropertiesThis has him ascend, descend or rush rapidly within less than a second through the air. This is mildly directable after use. This move is effectively identical to Jak's Flight during his Level 3.
  • Movement: 15 character-lengths of horizontal distance or half the height of Practice Stage (Large) when fully held down. 
  • Timing: 1 second to reach full distance.

(Fast) PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png PlayStationSquare.png Divine Dragoon Addition

• Properties: This accesses a floaty, 4-hit combo, which Dart uses wherever he's standing (it requires very fast mashing to pull the entire thing off). See it here.
  • Movement: Dart covers a wide length of area with this one. The first attack accounts for 2 seperate hits, and travels at least 7 character-lengths until it reaches someone, the next covers two both the 3rd and 4th hits of the move across 3 character-lengths while covering a large vertical space and the the finishing stab travels 5 character-lengths with the explosion covering 3 character-lengths of space at the impact-site for 6 character-lengths total.

or PlayStationCross.png PlayStationSquare.png Divine Dragoon Slash

• Properties: This has Dart fly forward for a quick swipe with his sword. This is basically the first strike of the Divine Dragoon Addition mentioned above. Funnily, this move combines the 1st and 2nd strike of the normal Divine Dragoon Addition in a similar way to Radec's Knife Blast ( + PlayStationSquare.png). This is usually two seperate attacks, but they're so similar that taking them apart would be redundant.
  • Movement/Timing: The same as Dragoon Flight.

+ PlayStationCross.png PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationSquare.png Divine Dragoon Dive

• PropertiesThis move causes Dart to fly up high and then dive bomb downward with powerful slash. Shortly after this he takes to the air again and rushes diagonally downward to do a side-ways swipe of his sword on any enemy encountered. This is essentially the second and third strike of the Addition mentioned above. This move has tremendous mobility, so it could honestly be hard to control in some ways. It's a bit similar to Kratos' PlayStationTriangle.png attack during his Level 3 Super.

PlayStationCross.png , PlayStationSquare.png = Divine Dragoon Finisher

• PropertiesDart rushes vertically downward, planting his sword into the ground. This is basically the 2nd last hit of the Addition, right before Dart causes the massive explosion at the landing sight.

or PlayStationTriangle.png = Divine Dragon Gatling

• Properties: Dart sends a bombarding wave of explosive bolts spraying across 6 character lengths. They go off when they either hit the an opponent or object, and each blast is about the size of Drake's grenade. They can be aimed at either side, below for a reign of terror or above in a similar fashion to Sweet Tooth's rocket salvo during his Level 3. It can be seen here. The move has a significant arc in the trajectory, meaning that 6 character-lengths is merely the point at which the bullets reach the ground from a standing position at the bottom of the stage. Were Dart to fly higher while using this in a large stage, they would easily go quite a it further. This also accounts for the upward-aimed version, which drop off past a certain point before falling to the ground.
  • Timing: 0.3 of a second to activate.

PlayStationCircle.png = Divine Dragon Cannon

• Properties: Dart uses the massive gun on his left arm to fire off a beam of deadly energy, quite similar to Radec's Level 2 Super. It has no drop-off range and will leave an explosion the size of Sweet Tooth's Level 2 at the center of every enemy it hits. It can be aimed diagonal up or down, or straight ahead by default. It can be seen here.
  • Timing: 0.5 of a second to activate.

Other Gameplay Information:

Idle animation: Dart leans on his side and taps his foot in impatience, or he crosses his arms, as if in thought.

Stunned StateDart slouches forward, his shoulders lifeless with his knees bent slightly, looking ready to drop his sword. This is essentially what he does while under the Dispirited Status Effect in LoD.

Heihachi Level 3 Reaction: In LoD, certain bosses have an ability to pin one of your characters to something, making them helpless during that attack. You can see Kongol do it to Albert and Rose here (it's pretty much the same for all characters).

Gargoyle Quote (on Graveyard): "Shouldn't you be out slaying dragons somewhere? You needn't look far around here."

Alternative Colors (Default Outfit)

• Green ClothesSilver/Steel Armor and a Bronze Trim: This is a reference to Lavitz.
  • Black ClothesDark-Blue Armor and a Gold Trim: This is a reference to Rose.
  • Dark-Purple ClothesIndigo Armor and a White Trim: This is a reference to Haschel.

Secondary Costume: Dressed in roughly the same armour as his father, Zieg Feld

Zieg.jpg

DLC Costume: Black clothes and armour with silver/chrome lining across its surface. Essentially a Dart-esque version of Lloyd (his sword however does not become the Dragon Buster). If we're going with the Red-Eyed Spirit, his Level 3 would become a Divine Dragoon-influenced version while wearing this outfit, minus the giant arm-cannon, extra wings and bulky armor.

LoD_Llyod.jpg

Intro 1: Enemy Attack

• Dart walks up the screen in a fashion identically to the official artwork I posted (shoulder forward, sword held back) at the top of the page, before taking his distinctive fighting stance.

Intro 2: The Young Flame

• Dart swing his fist determinedly before reaching for the hilt of his sword.

Intro 3: A Dragon's Soul

Intro 4: Experience from a Journey

• Dart performs some impressive sword tricks.

Outro 1: A Battle Won

• Dart nearly throws his sword downward to his side before thrusting it into the air as if stabbing the sky (taken from the first half of his standard victory animation).

Outro 2: Steps in a Journey

• Dart crouches slightly while clenching his fist (taken from the second half of his standard victory animation).

Outro 3: A Great Campaign

• Dart slashes his sword to either side of himself while keeping it pointed forward, starting with his right. Dart then swings his sword to his side once more before training the point of the blade into his direct line of sight (taken from his Dragoon victory animation). This looks similar to a transition between Ko Gasumi to Te Ura Gasumi stance in Kenjutsu. The final part of the pose can be seen here.

Outro 4: The Final Stroke

• Dart rushes into the camera and performs a single diagonal cut, leaving a slice across its surface. Essentially this is Dart's cutscene finisher that he uses to defeat certain bosses (it's implied that he's doing this to the opponent). This idea was thought up by eligram, a friend on another forum.

Losing Screens if using:

• A Battle WonDart drops to one knee as if at Critical/Red health with his sword hanging weakly at his side.
  • Steps in a Journey: Dart shakes his head, looking annoyed.
  • A Great CampaignDart slouches forward with his knees bent slightly, looking ready to drop his sword as if under the Dispirited status effect. As you can tell, this would involve re-using his stunned state (which has been done before).
  • The Final Stroke: Dart Collapses in the same way a character dies in LoD.

Stats Screen (Victory): Dart has his head nearly turned away as if staring wistfully, with his right side facing towards the screen. Basically an updated version of his profile headshot seen during the Experience Screen. It would probably look a bit similar to Vergil's win screen in UMvC3.

25134-the-legend-of-dragoon-playstation-screenshot-menus.jpg

Stats Screen (Lose): The camera slowly pans around Dart's corpse.

Taunt 1: The Hero

• Dart waves to an invisible crowd that's cheering for him, just like at the Hero Competition in Lohan

Taunt 2: The Travelling Swordsman

• Dart shouts "Too slow!" while performing a few sword tricks. You can probably tell that this takes a page from Lloyd's book.

Taunt 3: A Certain Childhood Friend

• Dart leans on his side, puts a hand on his hip and a blue text box appears beneath him to mirror his taunt, where he tells the opponent “Shana’s cooking is scarier than you.”

Victory Music 1Boss Battle 1 Victory

Victory Music 2Boss Battle 2 Victory (remix)

Minion: Shana

Shana_Profile.jpg

Other possible DLC Minions:

Icons and Backgrounds (credit goes to Playstation-Jedi)

pasbr_icon_and_background_ideas__dart_by_playstation_jedi-d5y8z7a.jpg

Other Possible Backgrounds

The group on Coolon (the full picture)

The Ghost Ship (the full picture)

Melbu Frahma (the full picture)

Shana (the full picture)

Dart, Shana and Rose aboard the Queen Fury

Dart, Shana and Rose in Furni

The Divine Tree

Side-Information

Voiced ByJohn Butterfield (explained here) and Tomokazu Seki in Japanese.

Cut-Scene MusicThe Legend of Dragoon Title screen (extended) or Uneasy State.

Rival: Preferably Cloud Strife, who already has several move-sets (the one made by roydgriffin being my favorite). And if Square Enix doesn't play nice, Leonard from White Knight Chronicles, a 1st-party game made by Level-5 (he has two move-sets). And if for some reason the developers can't get into contact with Level-5 for feeback on crafting Leonard's playstyle, Rudy Roughnight from Wild Arms 1 would be a good choice (he has a move-set here).

Main Menu Screen/Theme: Dart stands calmly, looking at the player, very similarly to the picture at the top. The background appears to scroll, painted with a deep burgundy/rusty brown with a tint of glowing yellow, calling back to the LoD title-screen. Some archaic designs depicting dragons can faintly be seen spread across the screen. You can see all this here and here.

Possible Legend of Dragoon Items

Possible Legend of Dragoon Stage - The Mountain of Mortal Dragon

Why Dart deserves to be in PSASBR

May 1st, 2012: The Legend of Dragoon (a 13-year old game) is released as a PSone Classic on the PlayStation Store in North America after being sold in the Japanese PSN since December 22, 2010It would go on to be the best-selling PSone classic that same month, and hold the title for 3 months straight. It would ultimately shift throughout the top 5 for nearly a year.

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, May 2012 (LoD is 1st)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, June 2012 (LoD is 1st)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, July 2012 (LoD is 1st)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, August 2012 (LoD is 2nd after Final Fantasy VII)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, September 2012 (LoD is 2nd after FF VII)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, November 2012 (LoD is 2nd after FF VII)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, December 2012 (LoD is 3rd after FF VII and IX)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, January 2013 (LoD is 3rd after FF VII and IX)

PlayStation blog Top-sellers, March 2013 (LoD is 4th after FF VII, IX and Crash Bandicoot)

The missing months can't be proven, as the the PS Blog only started including Top 10 lists in the June, 2013 edition, where it was revealed that LoD was in 10th place. This raises the possibilty that the game was stil a Top 10 title in October, 2012 and Febuary 2013. If so, the game has never left the Top 10 in over a year since it was released on the American PSN.

When it was released, the game sold well enough to be recognized as a PlayStation Greatest Hits title, and according to VGChartz, it sold under 2 million while other, more reliable estimates place it at 1.25 to 1.5  million. The game was developed by SCE Japan Studio, known at the time for Ape Escape and later ICO, and was produced by Shuhei Yoshida, president of SCE World Wide Studios.

Since its release in 1999-2000, it's become famous as one of Sony Computer Entertainment's greatest cult-classics, earning a devoted following that's created and collaborated on numerous petitions for a remake or sequel for over a decade after its release, with some of them reaching several thousands of signatures.

According to a poll created by ZombieScientist on January 19th, 2013, Dart is the most requested 1st-Party character for PSASBR, taking up 41% of the vote and surpassing Wander, lead-character of the critically acclaimed PS2 title Shadow of the Colossus. A poll started and run by Bobthepetferret on August 21, 2013 indicates Dart as the 6th most wanted new character for the sequel behind Classic Dante, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, and Crash Bandicoot after 15 pages of replies.

On June 4th, 2012, Sony Computer Entertainment renewed the trademark for "The Legend of Dragoon," implying that they still have some purpose planned for the license.

I'm mainly intending this as a pitch to Santa Monica to consider Dart for the roster, maybe as DLC or maybe in the sequel. Since RPGs tend to have lengthy cinematic attacks, some of his moves would have to pared down, sped-up or given a certain amount of range to make sense, but I think this set-up could work.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 137 (7,674 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Re: Movelist for Dart from Legend of Dragoon

Jul 17, 2012

Dude, this was amazing! It's great to see other LoD fans on here in support of Dart, and seeing as there have been a lot of comments in favor of him, he may have a chance!  The level 3 super you described was good as well, and it can be similar to Jak's level 3 when he flys around in light Jak form. I want his divine dragoon form to have a presence, but I don't know where it could fit in.

But anyways good work!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 137 (7,611 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Mind = Blown

Awesome post!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 137 (7,603 Views)
Gaming Beast
1821 posts

Jul 17, 2012

Thanks. I didn't think this thread would ever get revived.

I might have to revise it after seeing some of the latest footage.

TFreitas69 wrote:

I want his divine dragoon form to have a presence, but I don't know where it could fit in.

I have no idea either, but I went with the Red-Eyed Spirit because I think it's probably more iconic

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 137 (7,596 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
387 posts

Jul 17, 2012

This is sick. Dart is deffintely my #1 wanted character. But you should make the spirtit potion a super or something cuz someone could just spam it to buill AP

Photobucket

Current Mains: Ratchet, Sir Daniel, Raiden

The journey to know today begins - The Legend of Dragoon

Dart Feld for All Stars
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 137 (7,578 Views)
Gaming Beast
1821 posts

Jul 17, 2012

mx2itb wrote:

This is sick. Dart is deffintely my #1 wanted character. But you should make the spirtit potion a super or something cuz someone could just spam it to buill AP

A valid point. I'll add in a long wait between potions so they can't be spammed.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 137 (7,561 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jul 17, 2012
Dude you are awesome! why are you not with super bit to help them on this game? You have some epic ideas.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 137 (7,537 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Jul 23, 2012

dragon.gif

The dragons come alive.

This is probably going to be the best character I will see in PSASBR fighting against all the other great characters. The move set is really stunning and so close to the original Legend of Dragoon game. I've never played it but I have seen my big brother play it and it was a pretty awesome game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You forgot to take the safety off, rookie.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 137 (7,429 Views)
Survivor
2388 posts

Jul 23, 2012
Cant see a better Dart being implemented, good work man :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 137 (7,405 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Jul 24, 2012

YES!  All though I would love to see Dart use the Divine dragoon as well.  Maybe try to implement a way to use both dragoons, kinda like how Jak is able to use Dark eco as a level 2, and then Light as his level 3.  Either way I 120% agree that dart NEEDS to be in This game!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 137 (7,371 Views)