Fender Bender
2956 posts

Re: Level Up brings PSAS to The Runback Tournament Season 3 Now!

Apr 30, 2015
Time to go cry about it on the boards heh.
secuekl
Message 71 of 87 (3,217 Views)
Gaming Beast
1584 posts

Apr 30, 2015
^the boards accepts all your troubles!
Message 72 of 87 (3,191 Views)
Sackboy
505 posts

May 1, 2015

You guys like how this game turned out?

Message 73 of 87 (3,183 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1584 posts

May 1, 2015
@james520 11/10 just enough water. Perfect game.
Message 74 of 87 (3,179 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4162 posts

May 1, 2015

james520 wrote:

I acknowledge that it has plenty of flaws, but yes, I do like the game.

- I like how it tried something new with its gameplay and, even if it wasn't perfectly balanced, did manage to build a devoted community around it that can find tech and other little tidbits nearly two and a half years later.

- I like how it brought a lot of forgotten PlayStation characters back into the limelight. Spike, PaRappa, Sir Daniel, and even Dart, who wasn't even included in the final game, got some extra recognition thanks to All-Stars. As an Ape Escape fan myself, I still respect this.

- I like how (for the most part) it really goes the extra mile in representing the characters to even the more obscure details (there are even references to the Ape Escape and PaRappa the Rapper anime series, which were never even released outside of Japan [particularly notable since Superbot is an American studio]).

- I like how good the soundtrack is. True, not every song is great, nor are a lot of them even from the games they were based on, but the ones that are good knock it out of the park (yes, even a fair number of the original pieces are great).

- I like how devoted Superbot was to their fanbase. You can try and claim that their inability to acquire certain popular requests nullifies this, though things like this prove otherwise. The fact that Kat and Emmett, two characters who weren't even disc-locked, were not only free for the first two weeks, but the fact that Superbot actively encouraged people to download them early even if they didn't have the game despite slow sales really shows that even if they couldn't do too much, they did what they could for the art of it, and that's amazing to me.

- I like how much customization there is for the characters (honestly, the only other thing I'd want is an option to toggle each character's spoken language a la Street Fighter IV, but I'll take what I can get).

There are some major flaws, such as a lack of content and severe glitches, though for me, it's all of the little things that remind me why I love and respect this game so much even after so much time, and it's why I'm one of the many here who hope and pray for a sequel that can be just as good and better.

GIF by IconSeanX15

Message 75 of 87 (3,137 Views)
Gaming Beast
1584 posts

May 1, 2015
^exactly. I never had issues with superbot. Mainly Sony for dropping the **bleep** ball in giving the studio support. LOL give a low budget to the game that was supposed to be Smash competition? Wow.
Message 76 of 87 (3,126 Views)
Sackboy
505 posts

May 1, 2015

MaximumKOF wrote:

james520 wrote:

I acknowledge that it has plenty of flaws, but yes, I do like the game.

- I like how it tried something new with its gameplay and, even if it wasn't perfectly balanced, did manage to build a devoted community around it that can find tech and other little tidbits nearly two and a half years later.

- I like how it brought a lot of forgotten PlayStation characters back into the limelight. Spike, PaRappa, Sir Daniel, and even Dart, who wasn't even included in the final game, got some extra recognition thanks to All-Stars. As an Ape Escape fan myself, I still respect this.

- I like how (for the most part) it really goes the extra mile in representing the characters to even the more obscure details (there are even references to the Ape Escape and PaRappa the Rapper anime series, which were never even released outside of Japan [particularly notable since Superbot is an American studio]).

- I like how good the soundtrack is. True, not every song is great, nor are a lot of them even from the games they were based on, but the ones that are good knock it out of the park (yes, even a fair number of the original pieces are great).

- I like how devoted Superbot was to their fanbase. You can try and claim that their inability to acquire certain popular requests nullifies this, though things like this prove otherwise. The fact that Kat and Emmett, two characters who weren't even disc-locked, were not only free for the first two weeks, but the fact that Superbot actively encouraged people to download them early even if they didn't have the game despite slow sales really shows that even if they couldn't do too much, they did what they could for the art of it, and that's amazing to me.

- I like how much customization there is for the characters (honestly, the only other thing I'd want is an option to toggle each character's spoken language a la Street Fighter IV, but I'll take what I can get).

There are some major flaws, such as a lack of content and severe glitches, though for me, it's all of the little things that remind me why I love and respect this game so much even after so much time, and it's why I'm one of the many here who hope and pray for a sequel that can be just as good and better.

Well things like this game not quite being 'perfectly balanced' is a big understatement. I wasn't a fan of how they represented a lot of characters, Sir daniels a good example of how they didn't stay true to his former games and made him play completely different to his series while also having a terrible recreation of his design. To be fair the movesets of a lot of characters are quite well done in terms of how they look and many are varied from their source material owever they fell apart in terms of balance, many litterally worthless moves.

There's an avalanche of things that are wrong with this game and although im being harsh it's really because of the potential the game had, but Sony backed it half heartedly simply due to the lack of IP recognition the company had in 1st party titles. If you want to categories this as a fighter then it lacks depth due to its foundation, this although optimistic was created in a way where key elements of the game were consructed without consideration for other fundamental actions of the gameplay. That can be seen in the size and structure of stages, how many supers such as stage clearers were inferior, heavy emphasize on stalling and how slow gameplay was in terms of reaching the goal. It all works against it in terms of competitive value, satisfying gameplay and how enjoyable it is to watch.

I actually think outside the active community current there's very few active people, say estimating all people that play weekly i would say you would struggle to pass a hundred globally. Around 80% of competitive players left this game permanently as .12 really seemed to open the eyes of how flawed this game is in that aspect and how it's like trying to enjoy Brawl if you can play Melee.

Frankly for a game that has the IPs in it that it does and how hyped it was in 2012 it should have delivered a much better product. Not saying that this game is something to be ashamed of but it sure feels like it compared to what it could have been, just think you should demand more from your games especially if your a fan of franchises included in a game that promised much more.

Message 77 of 87 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1584 posts

May 1, 2015
Okay, there are definitely more than a hundred people outside the competitive community that play this game globally, lol. I'm always running into psns I've never seen.
Message 78 of 87 (3,106 Views)
Sackboy
505 posts

May 1, 2015

version15 wrote:
Okay, there are definitely more than a hundred people outside the competitive community that play this game globally, lol. I'm always running into psns I've never seen.

Yeah do you see them next week?

Or can you not tell when an ID is an obvious alt account.

Message 79 of 87 (3,089 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

May 1, 2015
I can tell when it's an ObviousFgt.
Message 80 of 87 (3,076 Views)
0 Likes