Mar 07 2013
By: xFlashPoinT First Son 11 posts

Level 3 Supers take the skill out of this game

42 replies 600 views Edited Mar 7, 2013

Basically what the title says. I've been playing PSASBR since release and this has always been an issue for me. Having a level 3 where multiple(more than 2) easy, no skill kills can be earned just ruins the fun in the game for me. In my opinion, all level 3 supers should be a map clear, like Spike's for example. I've seen too many level 999's just rush for their level 3 supers and think they are actually good for acquiring kills with little effort( aka Raiden or Kratos who generate way too much AP, another issue). This game would be completely fine with just level 1's and 2's in my opinion. Discuss your opinions.

Message 1 of 43 (600 Views)
Lombax Warrior
249 posts

Re: Level 3 Supers take the skill out of this game

Mar 7, 2013

i like this idea, because some lvl 3's are pretty overpowered or unfair in some aspect. people like Spike and PaRappa only get the number of kills = to number of opponents they are facing while somebody like Nariko can get 4-6 kills easy depending. i would like the idea if it was just a map clear but what can ya do. 

Message 2 of 43 (586 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Mar 7, 2013

Exactly. I just don't get why the devs would think it's a good idea to give Baby Jesus mode to certain characters once they get level 3, which isn't hard to attain in the first place. 

Message 3 of 43 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2220 posts

Mar 7, 2013
I guarantee you this game would not have sold as well if all level 3s were screen clears. The level 3s that can get than 3 kills take more a to get. In my opinion the level 3s are pretty balanced
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Your true face... What kind of... Face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?..." Majora's Mask

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Winning the very first tournament in Playstation Allstars with Ginta2468. Me being Spike Ginta being Sackboy.
Message 4 of 43 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
249 posts

Mar 7, 2013

yea, but then the same coulda been asked of SSBB since it's a similar concept lol. i'd say that the devs thought of this as more of a party fighting game than supposed to be hardcore maybe, idk. but considering the other issues w/ the game, it makes one wonder alot of things. still a fun game, but still.....

Message 5 of 43 (560 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Mar 7, 2013

Agreed, either make level 3s a simple stage clear, or add something that makes level 3s an actual risk and buff the ones that are stage clears. Certain level 3s arent worth it,)Heihachi, etc) certain ones are totally dependant on lag (Drakes)

A good risk would be that if you die and are above a level 1, you should lose exactly one level of super. If youre almost at 3 and die you should be set to almost a 2, that way there's risk involved in saving for a level 3.

But the easier fix would be to just make all level 3s stage clears

Message 6 of 43 (559 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Mar 7, 2013

It would have sold to a better audience, people who actually enjoy competition. How in the world are level 3's balanced? Like the previous poster said, Nariko's can dominate and basically end any stock game. This can be compared to Raiden's, Emmett's, Sly's, etc. It really ruins the skill factor when the game becomes a rush to level 3.

Message 7 of 43 (558 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Mar 7, 2013
Stop complaining about how you can't win this game.there's nothing wrong with level 3.
Message 8 of 43 (536 Views)
Survivor
2138 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry but I disagree with the logic of this thread or some of the people in it rather. First of all level 3s are supposed to be the most powerful, hence the trade off being the high AP requirement. Level 3s take a while to get, even for good players if you solely do burst combos it will take you at least 9 - 10 of them to get to a level 3. If you really allow someone to get that off of you then perhaps you do deserve to get killed. (Warning; I am not speaking specifically about you when I say 'you')

Secondly unfortunately not all persons have as viable a level 1 or level 2 or level 3. Using a level 1, 2 or 3 will fall down to the person using the character, the dynamics of the match and the character in question. You can't complain about Nariko's level 3 when her level 1 and 2 are so awful in comparison to others and she builds AP so slowly. Nariko has one of the worst level 1s in the game, the same applies for her level 2, to offset that they made her level 3 powerful.

For Spike or Toro, they have screen clearers that only get 3 kills, to offset that they made the level 3 cost of those supers lower than others. Cole's level 3 is unavoidable to all characters in the game except 2, Spike and Jak. To offset it they make it move slow. On stages like Dreamscape it can get as little as 2. But the dynamics of the match which in this case involves the map dictate that it is unwise to use the level 3. So I would use my level 2 or 1 instead.

All characters do not have as viable a level 1 or 2 as others, level 3s are there to help balance the playing field. Imagine how much more problems Sir Daniels or Big Daddies would have if they had no level 3 to rely on. Their level 1 is awful comparatively.

Lastly in FFA you have to keep in mind you aren't fighting the person in front of you or nearest to you alone. A smart FFA player will keep in mind all his opponents as well as their meters. Best believe if I am fighting in a match and I see a Sly go invisible I am going to be much more cautious. I see a Drake get a level 2 I'm going to start trying to curtail or sap his AP, same with a Nariko.

In order to do consistently well in FFA one MUST be aware of everyone on the field, you'd be surprised just how many kills people get when their backs are turned fighting someone else.

Message 9 of 43 (494 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1025 posts

Mar 7, 2013
Level 3s give their characters that fierceness to them as reflect their origins. I think they all balance out pretty well I dont think you can screen clear more than 3 times( given the stage) otherwise the game would lack even more I'd say.
Message 10 of 43 (480 Views)
0 Likes