Fender Bender
4120 posts

Re: Lets discuss sly's level 1

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

LX_Theo wrote:

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:

MercenaryDemon wrote:

The only real "issue" (if you can call it that) is that it is probably the fastest level one super.

Oh and why do people keep thinking that you can't cancel it?

You can, END OF STORY.

perhaps show us a video of this occurence, i have never seen it and i played this since the beta 

I've played as Sly since beta and I've seen it happen about 10 times. Its not common. It'd actually be a lot easier to simply dodge Murray (not all that difficult), but its possible. With that in mind, the only reasonable nerf you can make for Sly's level 1 is to extend the startup time/time in which you can cancel it just a little itty but.

THe start up speed should be the same as kratos's lvl 1

Message 11 of 31 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Okay, so I have canceled Sly's level 1 before. With another level 1. The thing is, it essentially has the properties of a level 2, when it shouldn't. There is absolutely no reason to use anything but Sly's level 1. Furthermore, Sly has 4 different ways to combo into his level 1. His Alarm Clock/Cane Stun can easily set up a level 1. His Decoy sets up a level 1 pretty easy too. His lightning slide sets up his level 1 against walls. His Cap Mine sets up situational level 1s. His level 1 is easily the best in the game.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 12 of 31 (139 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

Okay, so I have canceled Sly's level 1 before. With another level 1. The thing is, it essentially has the properties of a level 2, when it shouldn't. There is absolutely no reason to use anything but Sly's level 1. Furthermore, Sly has 4 different ways to combo into his level 1. His Alarm Clock/Cane Stun can easily set up a level 1. His Decoy sets up a level 1 pretty easy too. His lightning slide sets up his level 1 against walls. His Cap Mine sets up situational level 1s. His level 1 is easily the best in the game.

Ugh... No. It can be cancelled by a regular attack. And as a stealthy character who can't block or evade supers like other characters, his needs to be among the top tier of them (several are up for that title) so he can be competitive.

Message 13 of 31 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I've played a lot of Slys. There must be an incredibly small window to cancel it, because if I hit sly he goes flying, but Murray still kills everyone in his way.

Fresh to death
Message 14 of 31 (128 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

I've played a lot of Slys. There must be an incredibly small window to cancel it, because if I hit sly he goes flying, but Murray still kills everyone in his way.

There's a small window between when the Super starts up and Murray actually appears. That's when he can be hit out of it. Its very hard to hit, though. Its why the only thing that would be reasonable to change is that startup time.

Message 15 of 31 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I can agree with that, I suppose. 

But I can't agree with the statement that he can't dodge supers. Maybe not in the true sense, but I honestly think that Sly is one of the easiest characters to escape a super with, right alongside Drake and Raiden. He can teleport, glide, use his slide, go invisible, he has a lot of options to escape supers.

Fresh to death
Message 16 of 31 (123 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Dude5059 wrote:

But I can't agree with the statement that he can't dodge supers. Maybe not in the true sense, but I honestly think that Sly is one of the easiest characters to escape a super with, right alongside Drake and Raiden. He can teleport, glide, use his slide, go invisible, he has a lot of options to escape supers.

I mean literally dodge supers. Not just sneak away. How many times has an air dodge or roll evade saved me from dying from a super? So many times. Sly has none of that.

Message 17 of 31 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2925 posts

Dec 4, 2012
That's his risk with being invisible
Message 18 of 31 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Dec 4, 2012

LX_Theo wrote:

Dude5059 wrote:

I mean literally dodge supers. Not just sneak away. How many times has an air dodge or roll evade saved me from dying from a super? So many times. Sly has none of that.

Right, and I understand that. But he definitely has options to get away. They're unsafe, but sometimes those are the best ways of getting away. Take, for example, Drake's Rope Swing, or his Zipline. Those are excellent at getting away from controlled supers. Raiden and Evil Cole's rushing attacks are also really good. Sly has more options to get away without dodging that probably any other character. That can help him a lot. 

Fresh to death
Message 19 of 31 (109 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 4, 2012
He kinda needs his level 1 the way it is since he can't dodge on reaction to supers himself nor can he block any form of combo setup or zoning. In FFA with so much going on he can be hard to keep track of which is his whole style but if people DO keep track of him he's screwed.

In 1vs1 his invisibility is absolutely useless too since the camera pans out to follow where the two opponents position so not only will his opponent always know how far away he is but he's the only person he'd be targetting so watching his sihlouette isn't hard at all.

Also a lot of zoners are able to keep him away since he can't block or evade any of their projectiles so I do believe he needs his level 1 the way it is because it's really the only major threat he has in 1vs1 and his ace up his sleeve for multiple opponents.
Message 20 of 31 (103 Views)
0 Likes