Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Re: Jak's AP gain is pathetic

Dec 9, 2012
His up triangle and up circle are only situational, they're not meant to be used on a regular basis and his forward circle is one of the good moves to use when you sent out the trap for more AP, granted if you're up close with the nuetral circle trap out, nuetral and forward triangle are much better options but forward circle isn't a bad option either, it's also good for when you want to jump at an opponent but just far enough to where they can't really reach you and even if they land before you do your shots will follow them enough to get a hit out of them.
Message 11 of 18 (194 Views)
Gaming Beast
2260 posts

Dec 9, 2012
Agree with teh_shade

Hard to use but I'm happy to say I've mastered Jak. He is my main.
ape escape. Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 12 of 18 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Dec 10, 2012
i like his up triangle, been many times where ive secured kills for an ally raiden's lvl 2 because of it lol. (jumping is a common evasion for those types of lvl 2's).
but his most of his moves generate less ap, and have less or equal range to his punches. just hit jump square and ur in their face faster than half his other moves, and u just gained twice as much ap as u would have using those other moves.
December 11th 2012: Went 12-0 ranked FFA. (Jak)
December 13th 2012: Went 8-0 Stock Unranked FFA. (Jak)
January 10th 2013: Sniped Asis_aka_talent into Jak's lvl 1. (Uncle Radec)
April 16th 2013: Caught parappa's lvl 2 with Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 and didn't die in the process (Sweet Tooth)
May 5th 2013: Got my Radec eviscerated by whaatxddd's radec in 1v1. Kmart, u better watch out.
Just learnt "Drake" and is now learning "Nariko".
Message 13 of 18 (167 Views)
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Jan 8, 2013

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:
yeah definitely takes time to learn to use effectively

Yeah, tell me about it. He's definitely my main because he's really to fun to use, and I'm about a level 650-something, but I'm only a measly blue belt... There have been so many matches where I feel I was by far the better/smarter player, only to get screwed out of wins due to his sub-par Supers, and some really bad luck. I just can't seem to 'cash in' on my good play, as opposed to most other characters, whose good play is much more easily rewarded. Very frustrating.

Message 14 of 18 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Jan 8, 2013
jak is my next character to reach 300 i think, the lesser used characters have so much potential its not even funny
Message 15 of 18 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2431 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Jak is a joke, only really dedicated players can be good with him.

He's my sub, and I got put up against 2 Kratos (3 but the other one left before the match started), it was awful, just awful. Kratos can just forward square through all of his attacks, I was only able to attack him a few times, it didn't even matter if I blocked his forward square, his attacks are so goddamn slow compared to his and almost every match with Jak is just filled with utter frustration.

He needs a buff badly.

Message 16 of 18 (104 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7048 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

ThatOneGuy39 wrote:

Jak's AP gain is just fine you just have to learn to use him better.

Actually no his AP gain isn't fine. Jak can be used effectively but his AP gain for some moves need tweaking. Heres some points and examples. 

Needle Lazer, you're suppose to get 10 Ap when you hit all 3 shots but half of the time it doesn't register the third shot and only gives you 6-8 AP. On top of that for characters always jumping or just fast in movement the Needle Lazer is to slow to land 3 shots all the time/most of the time. The average Jak players will only most of the time get 1-2 shots in on the NL and it will only give you 4-6 AP. So the ND AP gain is not fine especially considering its slow start up and leaves you still for a sec or 2. This gun can be combo'ed into but with only 2 certain attacks that still don't net that much AP.

Mass Inverter: By this gun being Jak's slowest gun in this game and unique you'll think it gives Jak the upperhand when used but it doesn't at all. The gun is a joke. Its AP is only 10 if landed. With its start up and effect of leaving you still for like 2secs it should give at least 15-20 ap gain. This gun is extremely hard to be combo'ed into. I may be the only Jak player who actually does it rarely..

Beam Reflexor. The 2nd strongest yellow mod as of Jak 3. In Jak 3 this gun had more range and power. In All stars they made Jaks Blaster the strongest and fastest. The BR not only gives you less AP then the Blaster but is also slower. Now why would the stronger yellow mod be weaker then the standard in this game. Anyways back to AP. It gives you 5 Ap per shot. The average Jak player rarely lands all 3shots. On top of that once you fire the 2nd shot it can't be combo'ed into. Overall 15 AP if all 3 shots are landed.

Arc Wielder: Only gives 16 overall AP. With its complicated mechanic average Jak players never get to 16. It has 4 waves of hits. The 4th wave is almost impossible to land sometimes because of the new stupid altered effect(SB put in)of it pushing you in the air. Most AP gained from this by Jak players is 8-12 if holded down. Oh yeah this gun can't be combo'ed into as well.

Wave Concussor has 2 stages of power. Fully charged(Strong)and not fully charged. Now why on earth would the 2nd stage of power have the same exact AP gain as the standard which is 20? Both stages give you 20 ap. It goes no higher. This gun can be combo'ed into but when fully charged should give you more AP because its more power.

Peace Maker, worst gun ap wise. Yes this is worst then the Mass Inverter AP wise! This gun only gives you 5 AP and also cannot be stacked! Also to add onto this. When chained multiple enemies you only get 1 extra Ap, 1! So sure you can hit somebody with it twice or 3 times but its 5 Ap each time, no stacked! Combo'ed into is very complex and highly unlikely by Jak players. Now lets bring Ratchet Warmonger or whatever you call it up. It gives you 30 Ap right and blast enemies away. Not only does it do that but Ratchet gets an additonal 20 AP when hitting 2opponents. 20+ compared to 1+. you call that balanced!

Gyro Burster. Great gun but needs more duration and defense especially considering how it leaves Jak open. AP gain would need a boost if it doesn't get buffed. If this gun isn't tweaked for duration then it needs a buff of 6-8 AP per shot with aling with the defense. Ratchets Zurkon also says otherwise -_-. No balance.

Now I just want you to know this was maninly about AP gain. I didn't even fully include or talk about the buff these guns need because some of Jak guns do need buffs with there lack of being combo'ed into,  no additional AP thats good, wide open state it leaves you in and slow start ups. 

Ive also mastered Jak and maxed him out on 2 accounts and have been known by many people that im a skilled and top 5 best Jak player so theirs nothing you can't tell me. I know whats situational and etc...

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 17 of 18 (98 Views)
Fender Bender
4327 posts

Jan 8, 2013
Message 18 of 18 (85 Views)
0 Likes