Jan 15 2013
By: TweetyPurd Sackboy 478 posts

Jak and Daxter Guide

30 replies 427 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

Hey guys, now im no expert, but here is a simple guide to jaks moveset, including a few tricks that any player could use.
Hope you like it, feel free to comment and ask questions :smileyhappy:

square moves
NS - the spin attack works well to hit players on either side, and it generates quite a bit of AP if all hits...hit :smileytongue:
         it should also be used as an option in the air, if you want to get AP without changing position on the map

SS - On the ground, the punch should ONLY be used after a down circle hit, this is because if it is blocked or it misses, it has tremendous ending lag, which can be punished with level 1 supers. It can combo into his up circle by pressing S again
        In the air, the jetboard it is your greatest ally, it can be used to suddenly stop falling into a level one, or get back onto a map with its range
        It also generates alot of AP, and should be short-hopped into (quickly done after jumping so you still hit ground characters) as opposed to punching, due to the range

US - Great escape move, also it very effective when players are grab-spamming. Its usefull to hit players on a platform above you, and should be followed with side side or neutral square.

DS - This move is more of a suprise option, to rapidly attack the ground. It generates a good ammount of AP, but has low priority, so you will often get juggled when using this move. It can be used unlimited times without "landing" on the ground, making you immune to grabs.

Triangle Moves
NT - This has 2 uses, one if players are getting close, you can push them away with this, and should be followed with short hopped side quare or side circle. It can generate a good ammount of AP when multiple enemies are hit. It is also good to use while falling down to interupt attackers

ST - The bread and butter AP gain, Generates a highish ammount of AP, but should NOT be spammed or your opponent will get used to it and dodges. it should be used every so often, and only spammed in dying seconds, or if your close to level 3 and need that extra boost.

UT - Situational move, and the stun doesnt last long enough usually to be able to hit your opponent, except big daddy who you can hit while he is on the ground. Can be used in conjuction with side circle.

DT - I never use this, it gains a low ammount of AP, is slow. can be used at the top of a jump as one shot before a down attack

Circle Attacks
NC - Should be deployed when you can, especially over a group on enemies, but you must be careful not to be supered during deployment. will generate a small amount of AP

SC - Great anti-air move, can often hit enemies 3 or 4 times before they dodge out if it. can be used with up triangle. It is also very good for breaking sir daniels shield. only generates a low ammount of AP

UC - this move has little use, as the startup is large, and the cooldown time is almost as long at the stun itself. You cant confirm into level one with it. should only be used in the air when coming down onto opponents. only gives low AP too, and has small range

DC - go to move, this can be charged to break shields, and can be cancled by rolling. It is great to use in the air coming down onto opponents, and the direction it faces can be changed mid air. It attacks above, below, and infront of jak, so it has excellent range, especially when charged. It should be used to combo safely into side square, and when used up against a wall, you can confirm into your level 1 with it.

Grabs
Jaks grabs are reasonable, but he lacks a grab that puts the opponent on the ground. His up grab can be used to level 1 super unwise opponents, although thats rare.

Supers
Level 1 - can be comboed into using down circle, and is best used when opponents are falling down onto you, or on platforms above you.
Level 2 - Has a reasonable AOE, but is best used when opponents are in a corner. It can be confirmed into if you time it right as an opponent is getting up out of a corner.
Level 3 - Very good, the best use is to use your shield and dash around the map using X, i would only use square when you are low on time and someone is far away and you have ran out of shield

Overall, Jak is a good character, but not new player friendly. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (427 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

Re: Jak and Daxter Guide

Jan 15, 2013

no thoughts? :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (389 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
997 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Good guide. Still terrible with Jak though:smileyvery-happy:

Hardcore

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Soondragon76 wrote:
Good guide. Still terrible with Jak though:smileyvery-happy:

thanks bud :smileyhappy: yeah ive played with him so much more than any other character, but am still better with ratchet :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Ive played jak since launch, got to 999 in a week. because his quares, DC and ST are so good, people only use them, making him very predictable. In combat, up circle, forward circle, circle, down triangle and triangle are not very useful, and need a buff. I want them to replace one of them with the scattergun, as hes got no way of keeping opponents away other than a lengthy wave concussor charge, and mass inverters range should be increased. Lvl 2 is horrible, either needs a huge range buff (I propose they reduce its height, and increase horizontal range drastically, u cant say thatll be OP when players like radec or cole have huge range lvl 2's), or needs to be replaced by something else, like dark blast. But this isnt a nerf thread, so I wont go further, just my gripes. Because of some of his moves, newcomers will find him difficult, and many wont stay with him long. Ive versed a few other 999 jaks, and its boring, because we use the same moves and it gets really repetitive.
December 11th 2012: Went 12-0 ranked FFA. (Jak)
December 13th 2012: Went 8-0 Stock Unranked FFA. (Jak)
January 10th 2013: Sniped Asis_aka_talent into Jak's lvl 1. (Uncle Radec)
April 16th 2013: Caught parappa's lvl 2 with Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 and didn't die in the process (Sweet Tooth)
May 5th 2013: Got my Radec eviscerated by whaatxddd's radec in 1v1. Kmart, u better watch out.
Just learnt "Drake" and is now learning "Nariko".
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (364 Views)
Gaming Beast
2008 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Good guide. I hope more people start writing them and sharing their techniques so people will learn the characters instead of screaming for nerfs.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
410 posts

Jan 15, 2013

cool

My mains: Jak and Dante
Training With: Sweet Tooth, G.Cole
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Jan 19, 2013

Teh_Shade667 wrote:
Ive played jak since launch, got to 999 in a week. because his quares, DC and ST are so good, people only use them, making him very predictable. In combat, up circle, forward circle, circle, down triangle and triangle are not very useful, and need a buff. I want them to replace one of them with the scattergun, as hes got no way of keeping opponents away other than a lengthy wave concussor charge, and mass inverters range should be increased. Lvl 2 is horrible, either needs a huge range buff (I propose they reduce its height, and increase horizontal range drastically, u cant say thatll be OP when players like radec or cole have huge range lvl 2's), or needs to be replaced by something else, like dark blast. But this isnt a nerf thread, so I wont go further, just my gripes. Because of some of his moves, newcomers will find him difficult, and many wont stay with him long. Ive versed a few other 999 jaks, and its boring, because we use the same moves and it gets really repetitive.

yeah nah man i completely get you :smileyhappy: ide love it if his peace maker was more similar to ratchets up triangle, giving jak loads of AP and ejecting opponents. That would then make his side circle more usful as the device to combo into the up triangle
if his mass inverter had more range then it could be used to stopp approaching opponents :smileytongue:
And i agree with that level 2 change :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
631 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Awww man...

I thought this was a guide on how to beat The Precursor Legacy... :smileysad:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Jan 20, 2013
^its not a hard game, 2 is much harder.
December 11th 2012: Went 12-0 ranked FFA. (Jak)
December 13th 2012: Went 8-0 Stock Unranked FFA. (Jak)
January 10th 2013: Sniped Asis_aka_talent into Jak's lvl 1. (Uncle Radec)
April 16th 2013: Caught parappa's lvl 2 with Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 and didn't die in the process (Sweet Tooth)
May 5th 2013: Got my Radec eviscerated by whaatxddd's radec in 1v1. Kmart, u better watch out.
Just learnt "Drake" and is now learning "Nariko".
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (235 Views)
0 Likes